Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 7

“Alright, class, that’s brilliant. You can go now if you want to. Anyone who wants to practise further can stay. James, if you could just come with me?”

I waved at James as he left with Mrs Arbelle. I was just about to head over to Lindsay when I felt a tug on my hand. I looked around to see Scott standing right next to me.

“Let’s stay and practise. I want to run over that last scene again, I don’t think we quite got it right.”

I nodded, then turned to Lindsay.

“Hey Lin! I’ll catch you up!”

She nodded and followed the other students out of the gym. Scott led me over to the bleachers at the side of the court.

“We don’t need to do the walking around, do we? We can figure out the placing with Mrs Arbelle.”

I nodded again and sat down next to him.

The scene we were working on was the party scene, where Romeo and Juliet meet for the first time. As we reached the part where they kiss, I tried to get the emotion right.

“Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.”

Scott grinned.

“Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.

Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged.”

As Scott leaned forward to kiss me, I turned my head slightly so I could kiss him just next to his mouth. He placed his hand gently on my cheek, then suddenly turned my head straight and kissed me on the lips. I gasped, and he took the opportunity to shove his tongue in my mouth. I panicked, and tried to push myself back along the bench, but we were sitting right at the end, and the gym equipment prevented me from going any further. Likewise, as I moved back as far as I could go, the equipment trapped my arms so I couldn’t push him away. I felt his hands slip under my shirt. Suddenly Scott jerked, then fell to the side as a blow hit his head. I gasped for breath and looked up to see James standing there, his face contorted with fury, his eyes flashing dangerously behind his glasses. He pulled me to my feet and held me tightly to him, still glaring at the unconscious Scott. Then he held me at arm’s length and looked me up and down.

“Did he hurt you?”

I shook my head.

“Not really. He certainly burst a few layers of personal bubble, but I think I’m okay.”

He hugged me tightly again before letting go and grabbing my hand instead.

“Come on. We have to go tell Mrs Arbelle.”

I nodded and followed him out of the gym and through the corridors. As Mrs Arbelle’s office came into view, she was just closing the door on her way out to lunch.

“Mrs Arbelle!”

She stopped and turned around.

“Yes? What is it?”

“I-” I stopped, and realised I was crying.

“What’s the matter, dear?”

James spoke for me.

“She was in the gym with Scott, practising, and he... well, he...”

“He kissed me.”

The words sounded foolish. After all, Romeo was supposed to kiss Juliet. Mrs Arbelle frowned.

“What exactly did he do?”

James shrugged.

“From what I saw, he was trying to feel her up.”

“He- He-” I shuddered.

“He stuck his tongue in my mouth.”

Mrs Arbelle clapped her hands over her mouth.

“He didn’t!”

I nodded. Mrs Arbelle lowered her hands.

“Well, what happened? I mean, where is he now?”

James flushed red and looked down at his shoes.

“I knocked him out.”

Mrs Arbelle frowned.

“Ah. Well, that may take some explaining, but under the circumstances I’d say you did the right thing.”

She patted James’ shoulder comfortingly.

“His crime was certainly much worse than yours, dear.”

James nodded. Mrs Arbelle smiled briefly.

“Well, now, let’s go get Scott. We’ll see what the principal has to say about this.”

**Author's Note: hmmm... not much to say really...**