Status: Ongoing

Eccentrically

Grace

It was finally the summer.

I loosened my bra straps and stretched out my tank top. The heat has been blazing lately, and I wasn’t fond of the humidity. Wiping the sweat forming on my back and chest, I listened to Maggie and Sara’s deep conversation. Oh the endless topics to talk about as we lay hidden from the outside world. I took a sip of my Caramel Latte and watched as the drama unfolds.

“And that’s how I ended up getting this fucked up tattoo!” Maggie combusted out loudly, slamming her drink on the almost-sedated red glass table. “Pathetic, right?” She said, pulling her t-shirt down nearly to her cleavage. There, a red tattooed heart with wings and Jim was written in bold letters. Oh, yikes! “What asshole forces his girlfriend to get a stupid motherfucking tattoo? Drunk nonetheless,” Maggie whined, almost scoffing. “Fuck him.” She took a sip of her coffee, still pulling down her shirt to the beginning of her chest.

It was again one of those odd afternoons wherein we spontaneously call each other and ask to meet-up at our local Seattle’s Best, regardless of where we are. So here I am, listening to their dilemmas with open ears and a supposedly opened mind. I took another sip of my drink. It was getting cold. Damn.

Sara instantaneously slapped Maggie’s pulling hand, well, to stop pulling. Maggie made a face, concerning that to the young boy sitting across our table. He was probably waiting for her to pull it down all the way. Pervert. “Why did you even let him take you out on a date, Magz?” She asked, cutting a piece of her favorite New York Cheescake. “That’s way out of hand.” She said before inserting the thin slice inside her mouth. Blech, I hate cheese. “And, judging from the way it looks, too devastating.”

Jim is Maggie’s long-time boyfriend, also part-time jerk and asshole. I don’t even want to talk about him. That’s how disgusting he is.

“Geez, Sara!” Maggie released annoyingly, forcefully nudging Sara by her shoulders. Her long blonde hair swayed as she turned her head. “That’s so not gonna help.” She said before taking a sip of her Mocha Latte.

Check out the foam on that thing! You’d just immediately think that the nerdy barista over there, staring at Maggie and Sara, had a thing for them. I can’t believe he added delicious foam on her drink. That’s just so unfair. I’m actually planning on complaining because looking down on my untouched Caramel Latte, there is barely any foam.

“Grace,” She suddenly turned to me. Good thing her head didn’t turn 360 degrees. “Sweetie, do you think I should break-up with him?”

I can’t believe it. Did she just ask someone (aka: me) who’s never gotten a boyfriend before to ask if she should break-up with someone who’d been with her for nearly two years. Well, that’s rich. “Well,” I actually tried to think for this question. Maggie’s really, well sensitive, to questions about relationships. I may not come out of this coffee shop alive if I answer wrongly. “I guess you should if you’re having any doubts.”

Maggie considered this for a moment. “You’re right.” She answered back smiling. Whew, I’m safe. “I really should’ve done this a week ago when he forced me to have sex with him in the boy’s locker room.” She brought out her cell phone, ready to schedule a meeting with Jim, ready to remove him out of her life. “Love you, wifey.” Her hazel eyes revolved back at me. “When’s our marriage scheduled?”

“Let’s go now.” I joked.

Both Maggie and Sara began to talk about their relationships, the ups and downs of it all, and the works. Since I couldn’t relate, my eyes began to wonder outside. There were children happily playing at the park, all smiles and sparkling laughter. Somehow, I wish I could go back to the days when playing and having fun were the only things that mattered.

“Grace,” Sara tapped me by my shoulder before giving me a quick peck on my cheek. “Sometimes I wonder why you’ve gone this far without a boyfriend.” She reached over a notepad. Do you think the guy behind me is hot? was written in her usually swirly flowery handwriting. I didn’t even notice that there was someone sitting behind her if she didn’t tell me. “Have you ever even thought about it?” Sara raised her eyebrow, wanting me to answer both questions.

“I guess,” I hesitantly replied. I wasn’t really sure on how I felt at this point. It just seemed wrong to reply something I was inaccurate about. “But really,” I said scribbling down I have no idea. I can't even see who it is. :\ in my own messy letters. “It’s not that important to me. Not now,” I admitted. After all, I’ve gotten through 17 years of life without one, what makes me think I need one now?

“Are you sure you’re not a lesbo?” Maggie interrupted all of a sudden. “C’mon, you can tell us.” She nudged me by my shoulder, laughing. “I heard Margaret’s living in with her girl downtown already. Damn, her girl’s a dame.” Maggie was referring to my elder sister, Margaret who eloped with her girlfriend – who I don’t even know. Can’t say I’m not happy for her. She was the best sister I’ve ever had. It just pissed me off that Garet didn’t bother to tell me about anything until it was absolutely too late.

Love is just too complicated.

***

I love the summer for technically only one reason: the library. Since both Maggie and Sara applied to many jobs and outings, I’m always stuck alone by myself. Parties were never my forte, and I don’t plan to break my ‘never been invited’ streak. I mean, what could be better than reading books amidst the silence anyway?

“Grace!” I heard someone call out from my back. I turned and saw that it was Elijah Harvey from yesterday, still looking quite the cutie. Wait, was he wearing the same shirt as he did yesterday? Oh, man. I think I better steer clear. “Hi!” He said as he walked towards me.

“Oh,” My voice was to a quite tone, the way I often preferred it to be. “Hey, Elijah,” I said stumbling to find the perfect way to say it. As much as I wanted to stop smelling him for any signs of B.O, he smelled quite fresh. Maybe even Victoria’s Secret?

“Call me Eli.” Eli instantly replied, smiling in all his glory. God, was it possible for someone to be this happy all the time? I barely even flex my mouth muscles away from the duo. “Say,” He said, looking back at me with his chocolate brown eyes. “Are you going to the library?”

“Umm,” I stuttered. “Yeah, I’m going there right now.” My feet suddenly felt heavy, like I was pulling something terribly heavy.

The boy grinned. I think I’m an in love. “Mind if I tagged along?” He asked. His wavy hair bounced off from his shoulders. “I’m going there as well.”

“Yeah,”

I held my bag closer to my chest. Beside me is Elijah, who was still smiling. I bet he doesn’t know that he’s the first boy I’ve ever walked with, maybe even had a conversation. I’m smiling, and I can’t stop. There’s this light feeling that I can’t deny. As I look back at Eli, he took a stealing glance at the park with such authenticity. Even I can’t break myself from looking at it.

Things really are changing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guess who the guy behind Sara was.
*COUGH*Eli*COUGH*
Guys! Do tell me what you think. :) I can take any harsh criticisms. :3