Status: Ongoing

Eccentrically

Elijah

The worst of the worst things happen because someone is always unprepared.

In this case, I have fallen asleep inside the library while waiting for Grace to actually talk to me. Well tough luck. She hadn’t even bothered to say a single word before she left. Not even a single, ‘bye’ or ‘later’. I woke-up at around 9:30 with J tapping me on my shoulder, asking me to go home because it was already late. I think I’ve learned my lesson to never sleep at 6 AM again.

I could’ve walked Grace home.

“And you got home late because?” My mom placed her hands on both sides of her hips, interrogatively. She always does this whenever I’m in a fit, bad as far as things come undone.

I buried my head down my shoulders. “Life expects no more from Elijah Harvey.” I said stated smartly. “Life hates Elijah Harvey. Life wants Elijah Harvey dead.” I stressed out, fiddling with my bangs.

“Seriously, Eli,” Mom’s voice sounded exasperated. I wonder what made her tired? Today’s actually Friday, and I’m sure as hell she’d just gotten from the mall. Look at all those empty paper bags and plastic from Lacoste and Body Shop. “I’m sure you’d want something edible to eat for dinner since your father just cooked liver.”

“Okay, mom, geez.” I said plainly, feeling annoyance seep through my words. “I fell asleep in the library.” My throat felt dry – pathetically – I scratched it. “Can we all just live our lives now?”

Mom reheated my supposed dinner. While I was waiting, I pretended to be a rockstar, banging both my spoon and fork smack right on the middle. Somehow, lyrics of love and longing escaped from my mouth. And weirdest part of it all, they weren’t from actual songs. They were just simple things that I felt that seemed to work altogether to fit in.

I can’t say, eh, eh, eh

What you mean to me

Silent as a candle

Lightening my world

Slowly but surely

You’re always there


“Well, now. That’s an answer.” My mom finally replied, slipping my plate right in front of me. The scent was delicious – my favorite roast beef. “Would you mind sharing to your mother what you did at the library on a hot summer evening, baby?” She pulled a chair beside me and sat. “How come I never hear you go there when I go check on the new books during the school year?”

I sliced down the beef before chowing it all up. Mom’s a great cook. With Dad being the laziest of ‘em all, having a great cook as a wife is golden. “It’s because of a girl, mom. Not that it's surprising.” I said, wiping my mouth from the excess gravy. “Do you know Grace Kinley?”

“Kinley?” She asked with a “:P” on her face. Seriously, it looked rather astonishing for my pensive Mom to show a fleeting emotion. “Dr. Kinley’s daughter?” She asked coming out weirdly. My doctor’s name was Kinley? I never even knew he had a name. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. “Well, that’s a mighty surprise.” What? What? What? “I thought you only go for the girly girls.” So not true.

Wait, Mom knows Grace Kinley? MY Grace Kinley?

“Mom!” I nearly threw-up all whatever’s left on my mouth. “Where’s the love and care?” I pouted, fixing all the leftovers on my plate. “And wait, you know Grace Kinley?” Also known as the love of my life?

“For the love of God, Elijah Matthew Harvey,” She said as she stood up to pick my clean plate. I can’t believe she just said my whole name. “She’s your doctor’s daughter.” Oh, ignorance. “I can’t believe you never thought of that. And besides, you never showed me the girl on your pictures.” Her eyes screamed supremely ignorant to me. “How was I supposed to know? I’m a Dentist, not a mind-reader.”

“Okay,” I admitted. “You win, Mom.”

“Well,” Mom placed the plate inside the dishwasher. “She’s a pretty girl. Really shy though.”

“Tell me about it.” I flipped my cell phone open to see if I’ve got any new messages from the Photography Association. “We’ve hardly held a conversation.”

My cell phone inbox was always empty. Not a single person ever texts me unless it’s a question or a reminder for some homework. Somehow, girls think that guys never operate with a cell. I’d think not. I depend on my phone for the most trivial of things such as checking the time, scheduling dates and taking pictures.

I mean, it was where I took my first snapshot of Grace.

“Do you think I have a chance?”

Mom patted me on my shoulders before giving me kiss on the cheek. “Yes, Eli,” She said. “I think you do.”

I smiled, staring at the beauty on my wallpaper.

“You’ve always had.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:) This was so fun to write.
Almost took me forever though.