Sequel: Mind Games

Animal I Have Become

The Hunt

Image

Damon and I were out in the woods up North a few miles away from Canada. He put a finger up to his lips as though he was telling me to not make a sound when we heard the sounds of a group of men laughing.

I followed him as he led me to where the group of men were. They were having their dinner by the fire, talking about football.

"I'mma go take a nap now," one of the man say as he stood up and he walked into the tent a few feet away from the campfire.

"You do that," another man say and he stood up. "I'm gon' go relieve myself."

Damon motioned for me to hide myself and I did exactly that.

The man who seemed to be in his late-twenties walked deep into the forest - far away from his friends as possible. As soon as he 'relieved' himself, Damon stood behind him.

This is one way to scare them and when they realize that you are not of much harm, they'll loosen their guard against you, Damon's voice penetrated my skull.

The man turned and flinched in shock when he saw Damon was behind him.

"Whoa man, you scared me," the man laughed and took a deep breath.

I could indeed see the man relaxed a little.

Then, when they talked themselves out of being scared, you grab for the kill, his voice said again.

"What you doin' sneakin' up on people like that? I could've hit you with a rock!" the man laughed but Damon reached out and grabbed the man by the neck.

I felt my heart thud with different emotions swirling in my stomach. I was nervous, excited and scared all at the same time.

I watched the man struggle to break free from Damon's strong grip before he slowly went limp. Damon released his grip and the man dropped on the ground with a loud thud.

Damon motioned for me to come over and I did that.

"You don't really want him dead," Damon said before he added, "Not yet."

"Why not?" I asked, a little confused as I looked at the unconsious man on the floor.

"Because," Damon bent down next to the guy. "If he's dead, his heart wouldn't pump enough blood for you to drink. And then you would have to hunt again. The whole ordeal would be really frustrating."

"You can take his blood from anywhere, really. But I would recommend his neck right here," he pointed to a spot on the man's neck.

"Why?" I asked again, my eyebrow raised.

"For a disciple, you sure do have a lot of questions," Damon sighed out loud in irritation. "Most of his blood would go through here."

"I'm new," I gave myself an excuse. "Bite me."

"Glad to."

Damon was next to me, pushing my chin up as he buried his face into the hollow of my neck. I gasped before I had the time to stop myself. I felt him smile on my neck before he pulled away.

"Relax, I didn't bite you," Damon walked over to the man again.

"When I said 'bite me', it wasn't a literal request," I rubbed my neck.

"I'll try to remember that," Damon smirked his signature smirk.

I walked over towards him and the unconsious body, waiting for him to teach me more. Instead, he looked up to me, his eyebrow raised.

"What?" I replied with a frown.

"What do you mean 'what'?" Damon scoff, his voice a little higher. "Go for the blood - duh."

"That's all?" I asked a little surprised.

"Were you expecting me to rip his body into pieces?" Damon rolled his eyes when I was quiet. "I don't like getting my hands dirty."

When I didn't move, he reached out and pulled me towards the man.

"Over the years, you'll come up with different ideas to drain a person," he added and I looked up at him.

"Can I not drain him dry?"

"You want me to teach you hunt a human but you do not want to drain him dry?" Damon looked at me with a puzzle look and I nodded my head.

He kept quiet, narrowing his eyes into mine, looking for an answer that seemed to be buried deep inside my soul through my eyes. His eyebrow wriggled a little at the same time. Then he let out a sigh.

"The things I do for a pretty lady," he mumbled under his breath before he crossed his arms. "It'll be hard to stop yourself from drinking a person dry - especially if you're new. But yes, it can be done."

The man started to move a little.

"But you would have to erase his memories, which can be a lot of hassle and energy," Damon pointed to the man. "Better do it now before he wakes."

I shook my head, feeling sick in my guts now. I wasn't ready for this. Not really.

"Nessie, drink him up. I did not waste an hour just for you to not want to drain him," Damon's voice sounded impatient.

"I'm scared," I admitted.

He walked up towards me and kissed my forehead. I know I should pull myself away from him. But I didn't. And I don't know why.

"It's going to be okay," Damon pulled me gently towards the man as we bent down towards him. "Here, I'll make it easier for you."

He reached out and made a deep cut on the man's neck, causing the blood to gush out. The man flinched in pain, his eyes blinking rapidly.

I felt my canine teeth come out again when I smelled the blood a few inches away from me. It made me hungry.

When I thought of the hypocrisy back home, it made me really angry. So I grabbed the man by the neck, sink my teeth in and drank his blood.

This one's for you Rosalie, I thought in anger as the man struggled to break free.

I pulled away before I could drain him dry. I felt light-headed with joy. Human blood tastes so much better than all the animal blood I've drank in my life. There was something different in their blood that an animal never had.

I heard the man moan in pain and when I turned, I saw Damon draining the man of his blood.

I would've stopped him from doing so, but I was too light-headed to even do anything. I felt like I just had drugs and was too high to give a damn. While the man moaned in pain, I laughed in happiness.

I've never been so happy in my life. And it felt good.

The man stopped moving and I could hear his heartbeat breathed its last. I was still smiling, sitting down on the damp ground, blood rushing up to my face.

"How do you feel?" Damon looked at me with a satisfaction smile.

"I feel good," I smiled up at him. "I feel alive."

Damon nodded his head and bent down in front of me, looking deep into my eyes.

"That's the way you should feel," he whispered, leaning in to kiss me on my lips.

I didn't bother to move away from his kiss. In fact, I kissed him back. It must be the blood I drank but I didn't care. I just wanted to be happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
I put a whole lot of thinking for this chapter. About how vampires hunt. So a little time to comment would be awesome! : )

Special thanks to Kayla and coffee! This chapter's for you!