Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 20

It was nearly three in the morning when I pulled into my driveway. I carefully backed the trailer into its parking space and cut the engine, leaning my forehead against the steering wheel. Three days with only ten hours of sleep was a little exhausting. I slid out of the driver's seat and shuffled around to the side of the trailer. Tribute blinked sleepily at me as I unclipped his halter from around his head and untied the lead that attached the halter to the trailer wall. I walked around to the back and let down the ramp and the butt bar and the stallion calmly backed out.
"Come on boy let's get to bed," I said on a yawn and started towards the barn. The stallion followed, too tired to even nibble on grass as he would any other day.
The barn was quiet and as clean and organized as I had left it. The horses were in as I ordered; I hadn't wanted any more attacks. I flipped on light on and Bayou thrust his head from his stall, blinking sleepily. Seeing me the normally temperamental gelding nickered softly and bobbed his head at me.
Even through my exhaustion I smiled and reached for a peppermint. The supply was dwindling; which could only mean that someone had been feeding them treats in my absence. Hearing the crinkling, everyone came awake and popped their heads over the tops of their dutch style doors. I grabbed more mints and started down the line, avoiding Talegha's stall.
And so was Tribute's, I noticed when I came back to the front of the barn and saw the stallion sprawled in his roomy stall.
I grabbed two Ande's mints and placed one on the stallion's muzzle. He didn't even open his eyes, just opened his mouth and chewed.
"Looks like we have another horse to track down tomorrow old boy," I murmured as I sat crossed legged next to the horse. Tribute let out a sigh.
Suddenly my exhaustion was overwhelming. With another yawn I turned and propped my back against Tribute's, sliding down until I could rest my head on the horse like a pillow. I would just close my eyes for a moment, then I would get up and turn off the lights and go to bed...

There was something wet assaulting my face. I sputtered as I was brought awake, pushing in the general direction of my attacker. My pillow snorted and moved, shifting into a more upright position.
"Whoa boy," I mumbled, reaching behind me and patting Tribute's side. The stallion stopped mid-stand and slid back down to a laying position.
"Interesting place for a nap," came a quiet voice from the front of the stall.
I looked upside down at Ace. "It's my barn," I said, still not quite awake.
"Max get out of there," Ace said. The Shepard whined and laid down next to me, wagging his tail and looking adorable.
"Yes I see you handsome boy," I said, scratching the dog behind the ears.
"We were all starting to think you were never coming back," Ace said, leaning against the stall wall.
"Well here I am," I said, not looking at him. I hauled myself to my feet, brushing off my backside. A moment later another pair of hands joined mine to help. I grabbed them and looked up at their owner, warning him with my eyes.
"Allow me," he murmured.
With reservations, I let his hands go and crossed my arms over my chest. Ace slowly-more than he probably really needed to-brushed me off.
"Are you in the mood to listen?" he asked.
"Depends what about. Where's Leah's horse?"
"A trainer's. Vic and I caught him and brought him back. It wasn't very difficult-the lunge whip had wrapped itself around his leg and he had a nice gash in it; he wasn't moving very fast. Leah had someone come and get him and take him in for training. We brought in Toledo too-or rather he brought himself in."
"What?" I asked, looked over my shoulder at him.
He shrugged. There was obviously nothing else to brush off and he'd moved on to rubbing my back. "Vic and I forgot to fix that hole in the fence for a few days. One morning he was just there, standing near the gate. It rained hard one night so we brought him in.
"Where is he?"
"Talegha's stall. I've been working with him and a halter and he's pretty nice to lead if I do say so myself."
I just blinked at him, not sure what to say.
"You look a little shocked Nik. You know I know my way around horses."
"Why are my horses in? They always go out at night."
"It's rained the past couple of days and they've been in the barn in the morning. We figured we'd just bring them in at night until it dries up."
I shook my head, trying to clear it. "Yeah of course," I stifled a yawn.
"Come on, you're tired, let's get you to sleep."
"I was sleeping," I mumbled as he steered me out of the stall, Max following behind us. Delia barked delightedly upon seeing me.
"Hush novia," Ace silenced the puppy.
"Thought I was novia," I grumbled.
Ace grinned down at me. "You are, novia."
This was bad: I was jealous of a dog.
"I finished the apartment. Would you like to see it?"
"Sure," I muttered, feeling myself falling back to sleep even as Ace steered me in the direction of the office, where the stairs to the apartment were.
The dogs preceded us into the apartment, telling me that they had been staying with Ace in my absence. The place was small, I concluded as I reached the top and opened the door. It was only one big room: along one wall was a small kitchen that Ace had redone in blacks and white, a door next to it led to the bathroom, on the opposite wall Ace had hung a TV and an overstuffed couch and chair sat facing it. In an alcove near the living room was his bed. Small and simple, and cozy, I discovered when I stepped in. And that bed was looking very inviting.
"Nice," I mumbled sleepily.
"I think so," Ace said, looking down at me. He frowned. "When's the last time you slept anyway?"
"I stopped yesterday I think to take a nap."
"Yesterday?!" he exclaimed. "Where in the hell did you go?"
"Wyoming. No need to yell."
He ran a hand through his hair. A moment later he scooped me up and took me over to the bed, setting me on it gently. I was too tired to fight him.
"This is what got us in trouble last time," I reminded him as he began taking off my shoes.
He ignored me.
"You take off your jeans this time then."
He turned away from me and peeled off his shirt and jeans he had obviously thrown on quickly. I shimmied out of my jeans and tossed them to the end of the bed, sliding under the covers and snuggling into the pillows.
Ace turned back around and smiled. "You look good there," he murmured. He slid in next to me and wrapped his arms around me.
"You still have some explaining to do," I mumbled, even as I felt sleep pulling me under.
"I know mi amor."
"What does that mean?" I asked.
"I'll tell you later," he whispered, stroking the back of my head.
I fell asleep to the lullaby of Ace's heart under my ear and soothing stroking of his hand in my hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe a chapter or two more and then the epilogue and then it is finished! Comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stories ;)
Update: I've run out of clever ways to say I'm working on editing...