Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 21

I woke up the next morning to sunlight shining in my eyes. Max was curled up snoozing in Ace's spot. I glanced at the clock and sat bolt upright in bed. Morning hell, it was almost one in the afternoon. I slid my jeans back on and left the apartment with Max trailing me.
When I entered the barn, Ace had Toledo in the aisle with a halter and lead on. Ace was working on a stall near the stallion. The horse moved a step and Ace immediately went to him and put him back where he'd been standing.
"What are you doing?" I asked, startling both of them.
Ace looked over at me a guiltily. "Teaching him to ground-tie," he responded. "He's getting there."
I walked up to the stallion who eyed me wearily. I let him sniff my hand and very slowly stroked his head. The stallion flicked his ears uncertainly. "You're suppose to be a herd leader," I crooned. "All the training I really have to do with you is trust so you'll let me near your mares."
I took another step towards the stallion; he took a step back. I immediately retreated. The stallion flicked his ears and licked his lips.
"Smart boy," I crooned again. I took another step back.
Lowering his head, Toledo took a step forward.
I was surprised. Either Ace had been doing a really good job with this horse or he was just naturally very smart. I took another step back and the horse took two steps forward. He sniffed me and lowered his head even more, ears going forward.
I looked over at Ace, a bit bewildered. "Have you been working with him?"
Ace looked sheepish. "A little. I've seen you work with young horses before and thought it couldn't be that difficult. If the horse retreats, so does its handler. Instead of forcing the horse to accept you, you make it the horse's decision which automatically makes it feel more secure."
I blinked at him.
He shrugged. "It took him a few days to get the concept."
I still couldn't formulate a response. It had taken Trial two weeks to put his head down and lick his lips when I was working with him; it had taken Tribute nearly a month. Ace had Toledo doing it in a few days.
"If he's working out so well I almost hate to waste him out on the range."
"He'll just make awesome foals."
I rubbed the horse's pole. He stood patiently. "That he will." I looked over at Ace again. He had stopped working on the stall door to study me.
"Can I help you?" I demanded.
"Has anyone ever told you that you are a lot easier to get along with when you're tired?"
"No actually, normally I'm just more of a bitch."
"Not in my experience."
I choose to ignore that.
"Niki we need to stop dancing around this issue."
"What issue?"
"Exactly my point. First you need to admit that there is an issue." Ace put down whatever tools he'd had in his hand and walked over to me. He took one of my hands and put it on his chest, over his heart.
"You feel that?" he demanded. "Feel how fast my heart beats when I'm around you?"
I didn't say anything, knowing that my heart was beating just a quickly. I avoided looking in Ace's eyes.
"And yours does the same."
My eyes flew up to meet his and I couldn't look away.
"There's something there Nik," he said softly. "No matter how much you want to deny it."
For a long moment we just stared at one another, neither breaking eye contact. Finally, I caved. "I'm afraid Ace."
His eyes softened a bit. "Of what novia?"
"You know damn well what. Every relationship I've ever had or witnessed turned out a mess in the end."
"This is different."
"How can you know that?"
"Call me psychic, hell Nik, give me a chance."
I'd already tried that. Tried giving someone a chance even against my better judgement. Drake's betrayal had nearly destroyed me and I hadn't really liked him that much. It was a startling realization that I didn't want whatever it was I had going with Ace to end.
"It's too much of a risk," I whispered.
"You're the one to talk about risks. You risk your life every day working with horses-hell wild horses for that matter."
"That's diff-"
"No," Ace said firmly. "It's not different. Life is risks Niki. Some more dangerous than others. I'm a good risk...we're a good risk."
I searched his eyes once again, biting my lip. "What do you want from me?"
Finally, he cracked a smile. "I don't know yet. The fun part's going to be finding out. So what do you say Nik? Are you going to give me-" he grasped my hand and kissed the palm "-going to give us a chance?"
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter! Comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stories ;)
Oh edits...