Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 22

"Alrighty boy," I murmured as I took the halter off Toledo. "Take good care of them."
The stallion nudged my pockets for treats one last time and realizing I didn't have any, turned and trotted out of the holding pen. I watched him go, taking his small band of mares with him. The barn was going to be empty without him around. In six short months he'd become almost a permanent figure.
"Like I said, he'll throw some nice colts," Ace said, slinging an arm around my shoulder.
Ace was another figure that had become integrated into the barn. I'd never thought that in six months, I'd become so attached to a person I'd once hated with everything in me.
"Yeah," I said on a sigh. "I almost wish I would have kept him."
Tribute nudged me from behind. I grinned at the stallion. "I'm so sorry jealous boy," I said, rubbing his pole affectionately.
"That's my role," Ace said, kissing my hair. He looked down at me with almost a guarded look in his eyes. "I need to talk with you about something."
My heart froze in my chest. That sounded a little too much like a goodbye for my comfort. And truthfully...I didn't know what I would do without Ace around. The man was the first thing I saw in the morning, the last I saw at night. He was my constant companion, there when I was ahead and when I was down. He'd seen me at my worst and had yet to run. I needed him, and lately, I'd come to accept the fact that somewhere down the line, I'd fallen in love with him. Like, actual love. I'd realized that what I thought I'd had with Drake was me being in love with love. With Ace, I was in love with the man. All of him: his joking, his compassion for all things injured, his unabashed flirting with me in public which six months ago I would have cringed at; now I even participated, even his quick temper where he would curse colorfully in Spanish. I was learning to curse him back just as roundly.
My shoulders stiffened. He looked nervous. "Something." It was a statement.
"Just, don't get...just let me explain."
I shook out from under his arm. "Okay," I said, crossing my arms over my chest, "explain."
He muttered and oath and took a deep breath. And then he did the exact opposite of what I was expecting: he got down on one knee.
I froze, my eyes going as wide as saucers. I opened my mouth, but no words came out.
"Don't talk Nik, just listen okay?"
As if I was capable of saying anything.
He took another deep breath. "I'm no good at shit like this. Emotions, all that, I'm like you in a way, almost, kind of. Hell, I'm messing this up." He looked up into my eyes. "But even though I suck at things like this, I do know one thing Niki: I love you, hell I probably have since the day I met you and was just to chicken to do anything about it. And I thought it might fade once the newness wore off...it hasn't. I know you're scared of commitment Nik but I've got to try. I want to be committed to you; there isn't anybody else for me and there never will be. God I'm rambling." With shaking fingers he reached into his pocket and produced a small velvet box, opened the lid and showed it to me.
I knew it was a characteristic stance, but I had to cover my mouth with my hand, just to make some movement. The ring was stunning: a sterling silver band with diamonds inlaid in the middle that wrapped around the whole ring. If not for the silver it would look like just a band of diamonds.
"I know you don't like very flashy jewelry and I thought a big diamond would get caught working around the barn. If you want something like that though-"
I shook my head. It must have cost him a fortune to buy something like this, and he was willing to change it just if I didn't like it?
"Well then...you know what I'm asking right?"
Again, I nodded, unable to make words form.
"And you're still going to make me say the words," he mumbled. Once again, he looked me dead in the eye. "Will you marry me Niki?"
Even as he was saying my name I was nodded my head vigorously. Ace's face broke into a huge grin and he stood just in time to sweep me off my feet as I ran at him.
"God that was the hardest thing I've ever done mi amor," he murmured in my ear. Lately he'd been calling me that more than novia.
"You never did tell me what that means," I said, tears of joy pricking my eyes.
Ace drew back to look in my eyes. He swiped at the tears with his thumbs. "It means my love," he said softly.
My lips trembled. "I love you too."
He smiled even broader. "I know novia, I know."
Tribute choose that moment to stick his head between us, informing us that he'd like to go back to the barn. It was getting close to dinnertime after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
And...it is done. Wow. What am I going to do with my life? Three years writing this story that I didn't think I'd ever finish and now it's just...done. Thank all of your for reading, commenting, subscribing, recommending, everything. The comments were literally the only thing keeping me going for a while there. Keep doing those things with this story and my others. And be looking for the sequel which I should be getting up the first chapter by Thanksgiving(I accidentally left what I had written of it at home which is 5 hours away and my mother would never be able to find exactly what story it is seeing as I have so many). I will give you a couple hints though: Niki and Ace are kind of side characters, horses are still involved, Tessa is involved. Again thank you guys sooooooo much!!!