Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Sixty

“I’m sorry.” Bam apologized again. “It’s just...hearing now what he said...” he trailed off and pulled away.

“I know.” Jess said quietly and took his hands. The movie unpaused itself. “You wanna watch something different?” she asked.

“Like what?” he allowed himself to be led back into the living room while Jess pulled out another DVD.

“Titanic? You want me to watch a chick flick?” he teased when he saw the cover. But he sat down anyway.

“Yes, I do. All 4 hours of it.” she smirked and slid it into the player and returned to the couch. Bam really didn’t mind. He’d already been forced to watch this movie years before, by Jess, actually. Back then, they’d laughed at all the awkward scenes and made comments during the drawing scene and the car scene. Of course, back then, everyone had watched it with them. Half the time they couldn’t even hear the movie because they’d all been talking. But now a silence settled over the two as the opening scenes played.

Yawning, Jess eased herself down, leaving space for Bam to lie down next to her. He laid down on his side, finding that it was the only way they would fit on the couch together.

Halfway through the movie, Jess had gotten up to use the bathroom. When she came back, she found that Bam had stretched his arms out across where she had been.

“You’re taking up the couch.” she teased with a tiny smile. He held his arms out and she took her spot again, noticing that Bam gently draped his arm across her stomach when she was comfortable, and that his other arm was under the pillow under her head. It didn’t bother her, but she still couldn’t help flinching at the sudden touch.

“Oh, sorry.” he moved his arm from off of her stomach and his hand from off of her side.

“No, it’s okay.” she assured him.

“But you...” he trailed off. She knew he noticed her flinch.

“I know...I don’t know why I did, though.” she sighed in frustration. “Really, it’s okay.” she added, looking up at him. He put his arm back where he had it and they continued watching the movie.

“I still remember Novak and Raab laughing during this entire part.” Jess said when the drawing scene began to play.

“And you and Kelsey yelling at them to shut up to the point where you almost lost your voice.” he remembered with a laugh.

“Can you imagine how awkward that must’ve been to film?” she wrinkled her nose in that adorable scowl he loved.

“Hey, what about the car scene?” he reminded her.

“You have a point.” she broke off in a yawn as her eyelids fluttered closed.

“Tired?” he asked.

“Sort of.” she blinked a few times.

“So sleep. I’m not going anywhere.” he looked down at her and was suddenly hyper-aware of how close his face was to hers. Without a second thought, she took his face in her hands and brushed her lips against his.

“Thank you.” she whispered, pulling back slightly.

“For what?” he asked.

“For being here.” she replied, her eyes bright with unshed tears. He kissed her forehead, all the way down to the tip of her nose, trailing down to her lips. She kissed back eagerly, the movie forgotton for the moment while she pulled him closer by his shirt. But when his hand brushed against the bare skin on her side where her shirt had been pulled up and he kissed her back a little harder, she froze and let him go. While he pulled back in confusion, her face flushed redder than he’d ever seen.

“I’m sorry.” they both said at the same time. Had it not been a serious moment, they probably would’ve smiled or laughed.

“No, it’s my fault. I was pushing you, Jess. I’m sorry.” Bam shook his head when she opened her mouth to apologize.

“No...you weren’t pushing me. I don’t know what the hell is wrong with me.” she sighed. He suddenly remembered back to the morning she left, the day after her first run-in with Chase, when she confessed that he was the only guy she’d ever kissed.

“There’s nothing wrong with you.” he shook his head.

“Yes there is. And it’s because of him.” she closed her eyes.

“Please don’t say that.” he whispered and took her hand with his free one.

“It’s true.” a tear slipped out from underneath her eyelid and dripped down into her hair.

“No, it’s not.” he gently wiped under her eyes. “Jess, I was pushing you. I-I forgot that I was the only person you’ve ever been with.” he admitted. She nodded, sniffled once, and opened her eyes to look at him.

“I’ll never make you do anything you don’t want to, anything that’ll make you uncomfortable.” he promised as he gently kissed her lips once again.

“I know.” she whispered against his lips. The movie was forgotten again, the opening to the car scene playing now. One of her hands snaked up around his neck and she pulled him close again. With her free hand, she slowly guided Bam’s free hand back to where her skin was still exposed on her waist.
♠ ♠ ♠
i figured after almost a week with no updates, i owed you all this one ;]