Status: Each member has a week to update, so the updates should be in that barrier - steff.

We Set the Fire Around Your Lies

But I Really Don't Care At All

Lindsay fixed her black bangs and readjusted the strap on her black tote bag as she walked into her English class. Maria walked in behind her and made some snide remark about something, which Lindsay ignored as she found an empty seat by the windows. She didn’t really care. It’s not like her and Maria were friends, well anymore at least.

The two used to be inseparable back in elementary school, like every waking moment of their life was spent together. But ever since junior high, Maria had become a different person. She let the influence of popularity get to her head and left Lindsay in the dust, to fend for herself in the world of heartless teenagers, which made Maria sitting next to her seem strange.

“Hey, Linds,” Maria smiled pulling out a pink envelope and placing it on the desk. “You are officially invited to my sweet sixteen.”

“I think I’ll pass,” Lindsay said, cringing at the fact that Maria had the nerve to call her Linds after all the teasing and tormenting she had done in the past five years.

“Really?” Maria asked, putting on a fake pout. “But, Phoenix is going, and aren’t you two like… Dating?”

“He’s my friend, Maria,” Lindsay said, digging her English book out of her tote. “Not my boyfriend, just a friend.” The words came out, but they felt wrong, like Lindsay wanted Phoenix to be something more, but she shook the thought from her head and placed the text book on her desk.

“But Phoenix is going…”

“Look, I’ll talk to him about it and get back to you, okay?” Lindsay sighed. “Just, just give me some time.”

“Okay,” Maria smiled, knowing that by inviting Lindsay she had taken a step in the right direction.

x-x-x

“Phoenix, what happened?!” Lindsay asked as she rushed towards the tall boy with the angled black hair standing in the lunch room after English and saw the bruises on his face.

“Noah saw me and Maria talking yesterday…”

“Say no more,” she sympathized, wrapping her arms around him. “That boy is a little hot head. I don’t get why he’s so mean to people, Phoenix. It’s just not right.”

“I know,” Phoenix sighed, letting his arms wrap around his best friend.

“Awe, look it’s some loser love!” Noah shouted as him and his friends walked past Phoenix and Lindsay. “Maria can’t be cheating on me, unless you’re cheating on this bitch too.”

“Do you think anyone wants to hear your big mouth, Noah?” Lindsay asked, letting go of Phoenix and spinning to face the boy before Phoenix could respond. “Because, honestly no one wants to.”

“Like I’m going to listen to you,” Noah retorted as he stopped to look at the dark haired girl. “You aren’t popular, you don’t matter. No one really cares about you at all.”

“Whatever,” she shrugged. “Just remember that at our twentieth reunion when all the jocks come back and are ugly and obese and unhappy with their life while the rest of us losers are just fine.”

“Lindsay,” Phoenix warned, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“You might want to take back those words,” Noah threatened, stepping towards her. Lindsay hesitated and took three steps backwards, causing her to trip over a chair someone had kicked into the isle. Noah and his friends just laughed and walked away as Lindsay fell.

“You know, that’s just not right,” a boy said, offering Lindsay his hand to pull her off the ground. “Noah is a real ass.”

“Tell me about it,” she muttered, dusting herself off as she looked up at the light haired boy with the messenger bag slung across his body. She recognized him from one of her classes. “You’re Jensen, right?”

“Yeah, and you’re Lindsay?”

She smiled and nodded. “Thanks for helping me up,” she paused for a moment as she observed the bruises on his face. “Did you get into a fight with Noah too?”

“No,” Jensen said. “I kind of ran into a brick wall.”

Lindsay looked at him, knowing that was a lie, but he blurted out, “I need to get to my next class. I-I’ll see you later.”

“Bye, Jensen,” Lindsay sighed as the boy ran off and she turned back to Phoenix who had decided to sit down. She pulled the invite to Maria’s party out and asked, “You really going?”

Phoenix nodded and said, “Yeah, I guess. Why are you?”

“Only if you are.”

“There’s something up with that Jensen kid,” Phoenix said, absent mindedly as Lindsay pulled a novel out of her bag.

“What do you mean?” Lindsay questioned as she flipped open the book.

“He didn’t run into a wall, why would he lie about how he hurt his face?”

“It’s a pride thing,” Lindsay shrugged. “Don’t worry about it.”

Phoenix sighed. He watched Lindsay for a brief moment, as she started to read, capturing her beauty. From her black hair to her tanned skin to her hunter green eyes, something drew Phoenix to Lindsay, and even though he knew it was true, he was terrified to admit that he liked her more than a friend.