‹ Prequel: Legion Of Rockstars

The Federation

Nelson the Manager

I smiled slightly when I emerged into Joan’s office to find my manager Nelson sitting in one of the lush chairs across from Joan. Nelson finding his way all the way to Legion Headquarters meant either two things: I’d be making a new record, or I’d be going on tour. Both of them were important and pretty much big deals when someone’s a rockstar. Also, either one would provide me with the respite that I felt I needed. Sure, I’d miss all the friends I’d made. But I think you can guess one person I wouldn’t miss—his name starts with a “J” and ends with “immy”.

“Asher, doll,” Nelson greeted, rising to his feet to throw his arms happily around my neck. I embraced him back—Nelson had always seemed more like my brother from another mother rather than my manager. “Joan has been telling me all about your recent achievements in the Legion. I’m very proud of you. Although I knew you were talented way before anyone ever even knew your name.”

“You know me, Nelson,” I joked as we both took a seat. “Asher the hopeless overachiever!”

“Oh so modest,” Nelson teased sarcastically, aiming an eye roll at Joan that neither of us could miss.

“I actually have an errand to run,” Joan announced, unfolding from her fancy director’s leather swivel chair...on wheels. “So, I’ll just leave the two of you to speak privately. Please don’t throw my computer out the window.” With that last plea, she turned and stepped briskly from her office, leaving us to it.

“Finally,” Nelson sighed, practically pole-vaulting himself across the desk and landing smoothly in Joan’s fancy chair. He leaned back in it and began to swivel back and forth, pressing his fingertips together delicately. “I’ll cut straight to the chase. I’ve booked you on a tour.”

I clapped my hands excitedly. Tours, although extremely exhausting, were always so entertaining, and much easier than making a record.

“It’s a joint tour,” Nelson continued.

“Oh, you know the way to my heart!” I exclaimed happily. Joint tours were even better. It’s always fun to have other rockstars to go party with after the concert.

“Oh, it gets better,” Nelson said with a nod. I waited eagerly for him to continue. “I’ve managed to book you on tour with...Evanescence...”

“You rock, Nelson!”

“...Avenged Sevenfold...”

“I take that back. You’re kind of okay, Nelson.”

“But why!?”

“Jimmy,” I answered simply. Nelson pulled a face, obviously finding my excuse extremely unimpressive. I don’t think he found a personal problem a viable excuse for being unhappy about a tour. Of course, I didn’t much care, but we can all pretend that I did care, for Nelson’s sake.

“Oh, just avoid him,” Nelson snapped, sweeping his hand in a motion as though to shove my excuse away from his ears. “And, also on the tour with you guys will be a new band on the scene called CompleteAnnihilation.”

“CompleteAnnihilation?” I repeated. I didn’t recognize the name, even though I liked to keep track of any new rock bands making their way in this large, groupie-eat-groupie music world that I live in. Well, lately I’d been so focused on the Legion that I hadn’t been keeping much track of that sort of thing. I could barely keep track of my own socks anymore. I’m not kidding, either. I had the cutest pair of rainbow toe socks and now they’ve gone missing...I strongly suspect that Amy is the culprit, but I haven’t had time to investigate. And I wouldn’t want to walk in on her and Matt...um...getting some business done together. Unlike me, Amy’s relationship has managed to last the past four months, and the two of them are still going strong.

“Yeah,” Nelson answered, leaning forward in the chair and resting his elbows on the desk all professional-like. “CompleteAnnihilation is a heavy metal band of five men: Joshua, the singer; Mick, the lead guitarist; Franklin, the rhythm guitarist; Carter, the bassist; and Quinn, the drummer. Their music style is mostly scream-o. They sound great, and it would really offer them a push forward to be on tour with the likes of you guys.”

“Oh, you flatter me, Nelson,” I gushed mockingly, nestling my chin into my clasped hands and fluttering my eyelashes at Nelson. He laughed and shook his head, trying to not look too proud of himself.

“Anyway, Asher, the tour will start in two weeks. I have spoken to Joan, and she has agreed to allow you to leave the Legion to go back home as early as tomorrow,” Nelson continued.

“Really?” I gasped, straightening up abruptly in my chair.

“Really,” Nelson repeated calmly, nodding his head. I screamed and launched myself across the desk at him. With a cry, he slid the chair smoothly out of my way, so that I slid off the desk right onto the floor. I landed hard on my stomach and leaped straight to my feet, throwing my arms excitedly around Nelson.

“I love you, Nelsie Poo!” I yelled, dragging the poor guy out of his chair and jumping excitedly up and down, my arms still wrapped tightly around him. Nelson groaned, and I pulled quickly away from him.

“I love you too, Asher,” Nelson mumbled, walking around and plopping down in his seat right as Joan walked back into the room.

“So, have you two got everything sorted out?” she asked as I stepped quickly out from behind her desk, straightening out my clothes and fixing my hair. She threw the folder in her hand down on the desk and sank into her chair. “Okay, who sat in my chair!?” She rocketed to her feet, glancing back at the cushions before turning and glaring at the two of us. Trustworthy as we were, we both instantly pointed at the other, trying to be innocent. Joan just smiled and shook her head, sinking back into the chair.

“We’re finished, yes,” Nelson answered, relaxing upon seeing that Joan had relaxed. “Thank you for your time.” He stood up and shook Joan’s hand.

“I’ll have it arranged for you to leave tomorrow...nine o’clock in the morning sound good?” Joan asked me, even though I hadn’t even mentioned to her about leaving tomorrow even though I wanted to.

“Yeah, that sounds great,” I answered, shaking her hand as well.

“I’ll have it arranged,” she said with a smile. “Please escort Nelson out, will you?”

“Yes,” I answered and turned and followed Nelson out of her office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Listening to Avenged Sevenfold's cover of Walk. It's amazing. =}

Comments? Please? I loved all the ones I got from the first chapter!