Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Seven.

About three miles from Paul’s house I started thinking that it was a bad idea. Who knew what he would say, or do. My heartbeat got faster and faster. My breathing creeped toward hyperventilation. Breathe Emma. Just breathe. I reminded myself. I hummed my mother’s lullaby to keep calm. Then it was there. Paul’s house.

What looked like a simple one story, two bedroom brick house had suddenly become my worst nightmare. I parked Tommy and slowly walked toward the porch. One step, two steps, three steps, door. I pushed the lighted button and heard the bell reverberate throughout the house.

“Doors open!” Was he seriously that unconcerned about safety?

I pushed open the door and quietly followed the sounds of Diddy Kong Racing into Paul’s room. I could feel a small smile steal across my face as I took in the scene before me:

Paul was laying on his bed, an intense look of concentration on his face. Thom was sprawled out on the floor with the same expression. On the screen I could see the figures of Diddy and Timber racing around Ancient Lake.

I went and sat next to Thom. He shifted subconsciously so that I was leaning against him. It felt like old times. Until the race was over. Because as soon as Paul shot across the finish line, boasting loudly of his driving skill, I knew that it was time. I lifted Thom’s arm and removed it from my shoulder. Both boys looked at me, puzzled.

“I have to tell you guys something.” I said, standing up.

I wasn’t the only one that noticed my shaking hands. Thom got up, put his arm around me, and led me to the bed. I was sitting on his left, Paul was on his right. They looked concerned.

“Em, if this is about our talk, I want you to know that I’m not really mad at you. It pissed me off a bit, but I got over it. You don’t have to apologize or anything, I understand.”

“No, you don’t Paul!” I shoved Thom away and stood up again, pacing this time. “This isn’t just PMS. And you can’t understand! You and Thom can’t understand because even I don’t understand!” I took a deep breath and turned to face them.

“I’m pregnant.”