Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Eight.

Paul fell off the bed. Thom’s jaw dropped about three feet. They didn’t move for three minutes.

“Please say something!!” I begged. Thom slowly collected himself.

“You…and Jake…had…sex???” He sounded a bit surprised and also a little hurt.

If I had been the normal me, the not pregnant me, that would have stung. Of course we had had sex. Thom had heard Jake beg me for it for who knows how long. Thom knew that I would eventually cave. I nodded timidly and bit my lip.

“And now you’re…you’re…you’re…pregnant?!?” I nodded again. Paul was still on the floor, not moving.

“And does Jake know that you’re…….pregnant?” His voice sounded reasonably calm minus the little hint of anger, or maybe it was jealousy. That was a plus. Or maybe a negative. It could mean that he was going through shock. I shook my head. Thom shook his head too.

“You…you won’t tell him will you?” My voice sounded weak, scared. Thom sighed. Okay. So he wasn’t going through shock.

“If you don’t want me to…I won’t.” I allowed myself a brief smile. Paul still hadn’t moved.

“I’m…gonna go get food.” Thom said feebly. I waved him away as I knelt by Paul.

“Paul.” I whispered. “Paul you knew we had sex. I called you and told you. This shouldn’t be a surprise to you.” But that was the wrong thing to say.

“Shouldn’t be a surprise to me?!? Shouldn’t be a surprise?!?!?! Emma of course it’s a surprise to me! You called me, sobbing, telling me that…that you and Jake had sex when you weren’t ready!! You never mentioned he didn’t have a condom!”

I was in tears. I don’t know why but this was really upsetting to me. Stupid pregnancy hormones.

“He had a condom! He did! But maybe it broke or maybe the other times he…” I trailed off. Paul’s face had gone from normal to alabaster to beet red in five seconds flat.

“Other times? OTHER TIMES?!?!?! YOU WERE HURT!!!! YOU TOLD ME THAT YOU WEREN’T READY!! YOU MADE ME SWEAR NOT TO TELL ANYONE! AND THEN YOU DID IT AGAIN?!?!

I was scared. I had never seen Paul like this. He stood in the middle of the room, red with anger, eyes ablaze, yelling. He seemed taller than his 6' 4" frame but that might be because I was cowering by his bed, looking up at him.

“It wasn’t my idea Paul!!! But all Jake wanted was sex and he could have left me if I didn’t give it to him!”

“SO YOU SHOULD HAVE LET HIM LEAVE!!!!!!! He doesn’t deserve you, Em. He’s an asshole and you deserve so much better.”

“But, Paul, I love him.”

I wasn’t crying anymore, I was bawling. Paul looked like he was about to say something else but Thom appeared with food. He looked from Paul, still red and fuming, to me, sobbing in the corner of the room. He understood. He dropped the food and stalked forward. He stood in front of me, facing Paul. He placed his arms on Paul’s shoulders, keeping him back.

“Paul. Calm down. Emma has been through a lot and she doesn’t need you making it worse.”

Paul shuddered and relaxed under the pressure. His eyes dulled back to normal, and the red left his face. Thom kneeled beside me and soon Paul was at his side.

“I’m sorry, Em. I’m so so sorry.”

“It’s okay, Paul.” I sniffed.

Thom seemed satisfied. His eyes had a happy glow to them when he turned to me.

“So…can I feel it?”