Choose Your Own Family

I should have stayed home

Dear Diary,

……..I don’t know how to start of this paragraph today. Last night I got all the answers I needed. I drop off my brother Sam at the comic book store and the two boys that Sam said acted like they knew a secret gave me this comic book about vampires. After I read it, I knew why the boys acted like that. I was a vampire, well half. I become a full vampire after I feed. I don’t feel any pain tho, maybe it’s because I drank some of David’s blood yesterday. He also drank some of mine. That’s why I'm wearing this Black Chocker. David told me that I would be his mate and childe when I feed. I didn’t know what that meant so I finish the rest of the comic book when I got home. It said some vampires want to find a mate that they can spend the rest of eternity with. So I guess its like marriage except divorce isn’t an option. I never knew David liked me in that way. I know he likes me because he said it to me yesterday and I do like him, a lot. But I didn’t know he liked me this much. When I was driving home I was thinking a lot about Michael, Sam, Star, and Laddie. Shit I was thinking about all the lost boys. I know that Michael is a half vampire and I don’t know if he knows it or not yet. I’m also wondering if I should tell him. Would he believe me? I don’t blame him if he doesn’t. And Sam, what about him? David said that they could turn all of my family members if I wanted but Sam is only fourteen. I don’t want him to be fourteen forever. Which got me thinking about Laddie? Laddie is only eight, maybe nine. Is he a vampire? How could they turn someone so young? It also got me thinking about Star. I remember David saying something about Star not wanting to be there little sister, so I guess she’s not happy with being a half vampire. I also met Dwayne yesterday; he seemed like a really nice guy and didn’t have that much of a big ego. He did get me a little UN trusting of him when he said David had to see Max. But the store was closed just like Maria said it would be so I don't know. I decided to drop it and worry about more important things happing right now.

Rose Emerson

Date: June 9th, 1987

Time: 3:56 P.M.

Weather: Guess

I closed my diary and put it back in my purse. I decided to look in my bedroom mirror to see if my reflection would be transparent like it was yesterday. As I looked into it, it was the same. I could barley see my blue corset top and ripped dark blue jeans. As I walked to the living room bare-foot and with my red shades on I saw Michael walking into the house and putting his sunglasses back on. I looked at the living room table and saw Sam staring at Michael with a little fear and Grandfather drinking one of his beers with sunglasses on. I saw Grandfather look at Michael and then me.

“Well….looks like I wasn’t the only one who got lucky last night.” He said with a smile.

I guess when he went out with the widow Johnson things got little to extreme for old timers. Should I reply to what he just said?

“Did you take care of everything Mike…” said Sam with a low tone that barley is heard.

Mike didn’t say anything back to him; he just kept staring at him with sympathy eyes. What was Sam talking about? Sam then looked at me with even more scared eyes and said nothing to me. He just walked right by me. I grabbed his arm so he could tell me what’s wrong but when I did that he just shook with fear and started at me. Was he scared of me? I just let go of his arm and then he bolted up the stairs to his room. I looked at Michael and he just stared at me with sad eyes. He walked up to me and just grabbed my arm and pulled me up stairs to my room. As we walked in he closed the doors behind us and locked it.

“What’s wrong with Sam?” I said to him with an attitude.

“Well…..yesterday night while he was taking his bath….I tried to….I guess kill him.” he said while looking at the floor.

“WHAT?!” I shouted at him.

“Well I didn’t. I wanted too but Nanook stopped me and bites my hand. Rose I wanted to….eat him. I was so hungry and when I drink some milk I just spit it back up and that only made me even hungrier. I….was also….flying“He said very quickly afraid of what I would do.

“O…” I said looking to the ground. When I looked at Michael hands both of them were perfectly fine. “Michael Nanook didn’t bite you, your hands are fine.”

“He did bite my hand. You can ask Sam if you don’t believe me. I notice that my hand completely healed when…..” he said looking away as if embarrassed.

“Well come on Mike, when did you notice that your hand was completely healed?” I said getting impatient.

“Well I went to see Star yesterday night right before mom came home. I went to ask her if she knew what was happening to me. When I ask her she just said she couldn’t tell me. Then….well lets just say grandpa was right when he said he wasn’t the only one who got lucky last night.” He said with a red face and kept looking at the floor.

I decided not to reply to that. What would I say about that? I mean I honestly didn’t care, I was happy that they liked each other. “Look…that’s between you and Star. So what do you mean that you were flying?” I ask him with confusion. I didn’t even know that vampires could fly.

“Well Sam found out I was a vampire because he saw my reflection in the mirror. It was like looking threw a window. You could see right threw me. Then he ran up stairs and called mom.”

“Mother knows about this too!” I said getting angry. How many people knew about vampires?

“Yeah but as I was flying I told Sam to help me and he did. Also when I left to find Star he told mom that he got scared by a comic book.”

“So Sam knows that were not completely human.” I ask him wanting to know more about Sam. I was kind of hoping that Sam wouldn’t be involved in this.

“Well he said that I was a vampire but I don’t know everything. I plan on finding Star tonight and bringing her back here. I don’t think she’s safe with them. So what about you? What did you do yesterday night? You didn’t even talk to me when you got home. You just read a comic and then went to bed.” he said kind of sad.

“Well after I drop off Sam at the comic store and saw Mother and Maria I kind of past out on the beach. I didn’t have the strength to drive home.” I said to him a little sheepish.

“Are you insane?! You could have gotten hurt or someone could have stolen all your stuff!” Mike kind of shouted when I told him that.

“You think I don’t know that? And don’t you start about me getting hurt when you’re the one who fucks someone you only knew for two days. Besides Dwayne woke me up so no one took anything. I….also talk to David yesterday.” I said to him. Should I tell Mike what David told me? I mean what he told me isn’t anything compared to what Michael and Star did. They just had sex; David wants me to be with him forever. And I…..kind of want to be with him.

“Rose….I don’t want you to hang out with him or any of them from now on.” Michael said with a stern voice. Of all the times Michael has to act like a father he chose’s now? He should have acted like that before, not now.

“No Mike, I like them and if I can't hang out with them, then you can’t hang out with Star.” I said getting defensive.

“Rose I’m older then you I can tell you what to do and what not too.” He said with a stern voice.

“Michael I don’t listen to any authority figure. What makes you think I would listen to you?” I said with harshness that I never used with Michael before.

I was about to walk out of my room when he said this. “Because I’m not an authority figure. I’m your brother who cares about you.”

I was half way threw the door when he told me that. I never expected him to tell me that. He was right, I just wish he wasn’t.

“Mike…..the reason why I won't stay away from the lost boys is the same reason why you won't stay away from Star.” After I said that I walked out of my room and slammed the door. I grabbed a random black pair of flip flops and grabbed my purse to maybe have a smoke to calm me down. But then I decided that wouldn’t help me enough. Maybe a visit from Laddie would cheer me up? With my mind made up I walked to the garage door and rode off to the lost boys cave without telling anyone goodbye.