Choose Your Own Family

Star and Laddie's Story

I parked my bike in front of the cave’s steps. I walked up them as quietly as I could but even that couldn’t have stopped the horrible creaking. I walked up them and then down into the cave to see no one there. I walked into the room that was Star’s to see Laddie holding a teddy bear, sleeping next to Star. I smiled at both of them and put my bag under the bed. As I did that Star woke up and was shock to see me. But it quickly disappeared when she saw me. She smiled at me and sat up on the bed motioning me towards the bed. I walked over to her and sat on the left side on the bed and smiled at her.

“I'm sorry if I woke you up. You can go back to sleep if you want.” I said trying to be nice.

“No, its fine. How have you been?” she said in a kind of whispered voice.

“I’ve been okay, I guess. Star I’ve wanted to ask you something. I…know that you’re all vampires. Are you a vampire?” I ask kind of scared of the answer.

“…No. I'm half, so is Laddie. I never wanted to be a vampire; I only wanted a place to stay.” She said kind of sad looking at the bed.

“What do you mean Star?” I ask very interested

“Well I was turned before Laddie. It was when I was still a gypsy, reading hands and piercing people’s ears. I barley got enough money for food and usually had to sleepin allies. That’s when I met David. I guess you could say he sort of had a crush on me. He introduces me to everyone like he did with you and Michael. He also offered me a drink from the bottle and I drink it. But when I did find out I was a vampire I hated it. I wanted to see the sun, to grow old and die. Then David and I stop talking and now its like were strangers. That was a month ago….” She finishes her story and still continued to look at the floor. I was shock that David use to like her but I wasn’t jealous. It was a long time ago so why should it matter. I am surprised he never told me tho.

“A month ago? You must be in a lot of pain then, always being hungry.” I said worried about her.

“Well I guess you can say we have an advantage. Girl vampires can go longer without feeding then male vampires. But it’s the worst for Laddie. He’s just a child and he’s always starving, more then me. He drank from the bottle four or six weeks ago.”

“Why would they want to make a child a vampire?” I ask completely dumb forted.

“It was an accident. I found him sleeping in my bed and then we planned on calling his parents and returning him home but we saw that Laddie was drinking from the bottle. So we basically had no choice but to keep him. He doesn’t get in the way, but we all know one day he’s going to snap and probably feed on ten people.” She said as if she was going to cry.

“I….I really don’t know what to say. I don’t want him to be a kid forever but I also don’t want him to be in pain. I don’t want any of you to be in pain.” I said looking at her eyes.

“It…gets more painful everyday. But at least I still age. It’s just slower and I can still go out into the sun, even if it burns me a little. Do you and Michael want to be vampires?” She asks now looking at me.

“Well….I doesn’t know what Mike wants…but...” I said now trying to find the right words to tell her.

“Do you want to be a vampire? Do you want to be a murderer?” she asks with a serious and stern voice.

“I do and I don’t. I don’t need the sun to survive, and I probably wouldn’t have a problem killing. I know that sounds wrong but I do need my brothers to survive...I do need my family.”I said now thinking about everything.

If you gave me the choice of being a vampire a month ago then I would have said yes without hesitation. Now that I actually like talking to my mother and kind of warming up to grandfather, I can't be with them. I mean I could but I probably end up killing one of them by accident like Michael almost did with Sammy. And I can't help wondering if this is God’s way of punishing me. I’ve always wanted nothing to do with my family, except my brothers of course. And now that I want to spend time with them I can't. What’s even worse is that I haven’t made up my mind if I want to be a vampire or not. I mean I like David and I like the rest of the guys. They were basically the family that I always wanted when I was younger. Now I finally have a chance to be with them...And now I don’t want too.

“You should get some sleep.” Said Star noticing I was spacing out.

She moved closer to Laddie so I could sleep in the bed with them. I decided that I should sleep if I wanted more strength at night and I soon feel asleep with them. I didn’t know how long I was sleeping but when I moved my arm to where Star would be there was nothing. I quickly sat up in the bed and notice that Laddie wasn’t there either. I walked out of the room and into the living room of the cave and notice that Marko and Paul were sitting on the couch looking at me with smiles on there faces. It wasn’t a freaky smile but it was weird.

“When did you get here princess?” ask Paul still smiling.

“I don’t remember the time but it was in the morning. Where’s Star and Laddie?” I ask and it was obvious by the way my voice sounded that I was scared.

“David and Dwayne took them some place. Don’t worry they’ll be back before the sun is up. Me and Paul have to pick them up when were done.”Said Marko.

“Done with what?” I ask kind of suspicious

“It’s a surprise for you and your brother.” Said Paul getting happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cliff Hanger