Choose Your Own Family

Hang Over

“Wake up.” said Michael; at least I think it was Michael.

I was past out on my bed and I felt like shit. Michael hit me on my head and I finally decided to sit up. I opened my eyes and I quickly wanted to shut them. It was a normal morning but the sun seemed to be killing me. I was trying to remember what happened last night but I barley remember anything. As I was trying to remember what happened Michael threw a pair of red shades at me. I quickly put them on and it helped right away. I finally looked at Michael and I notice he was wearing his black shades and the same clothes he wore yesterday. Including his jacket and sneakers. I looked down at myself and I noticed that I was wearing the same outfit that I had on yesterday.

“Do you remember what happened yesterday?” said Michael with a tone in his voice.

“I remember drinking some whine and sitting with David, then nothing. We probably got drunk.” I said to Michael barley looking at him. “What about you? How much do you remember?” I ask him trying to get out of bed but failed miserably.

“The last thing I remembered was eating rice that looked like Maggots. I'm starting to wonder how we got back. I check the garage and both of our bikes are still there, along with Grandpa’s car. But you past out at the cave and I don’t even know what happened to me. So how did they get back here?” ask Michael while he moved toward the bed to sit next to me.

“The guys probably helped us get home or something, I don't know. This doesn’t feel like a normal hang over.” I said now looking at the floor.

“Well mom called and she’s going out tonight with Max. She wants me to keep an eye on Sam so I can't go out tonight.” Said Michael in a harsh tone. Michael never acted that way before. Let alone have an attitude with Sammy.

“Come on, mother hasn’t been on a date in awhile.” I said to Michael.

“I really don’t wanna watch him Rose.” He said to me with a tired voice. “Can you watch him?” he asks me.

“No way I always watch him.” I said to him with an attitude.

“Well can you at least take him to the Comic Store? He ask me but I just want to sleep.” He said lying down on my bed.

“Yeah I’ll go as soon as I change and write my paragraph in my diary. Go sleep but I might come home late alright. I want to hang out with Maria.” I said to him while I was rubbing his head.

He just grumbled something and fell asleep on my bed. I kept rubbing his head and notice that he had an earning on his right ear. I rub both my ears and I felt a earning on my left ear. I stood up from the bed and pulled out one of my small mirrors to see what my earning looked like but when I opened it my reflection was different. You could barley see me. In fact you could see right threw my face. I wanted to scream but I didn’t want to scare my brother and I didn’t even have the strength too. I also noticed that my earning was the same one that David has on his right ear. I just threw my mirror to the floor and grab a purple tang top and my jacket. I quickly changed into that and grabbed my diary and left my room to write in the living room. As I entered the living room I saw Grandfather pulling out one of his beers from his second shelf. I remember Sam telling me that one of Grandfathers rules was to not take anything on the second shelf. He took a long sip of it and when he finish he stared at me and then formed a smile.

“Well hey there Rosie. It’s nice to see you’re finally awake. How are you feeling?” ask Grandfather in a nice way.

“Fine Grandfather. Can you do me a favor and tell Sam I’ll give him a ride to the comic book store when I’m done writing in my diary.” I ask Grandfather while I was pulling out a chair from the table and sitting down getting ready to write.

“No problem Rosie.” He said leaving with a beer in his hand. But for some reason I really wanted it and I hate beer.

“Grandfather? Is it okay if I have one of your beers?” I ask him nicely.

“Umm….. sorry Rosie but Lucy would kill me if she found out I gave you one.” He said smiling nervously. He left quicker then I expect and I decided to shrug it off for now.

Dear diary,

This morning sucks! Yesterday was a great day and it had to be ruined by this morning. Yesterday my plans didn’t go the way I wanted them too. I was planning on seeing Maria but I found this kid named Laddie sitting a bench by himself. Of course I couldn’t ignore him so I had to talk to him and he seems like a sweet kid. Unfortunately he was with the gang on the boardwalk who I found out were a bunch of cool people. The leader’s name is David and he told me that Laddie’s a run away kid. David isn’t so bad, he’s actually pretty cool, except for his ego. He also asks me to join his gang but I turned down his offer. I actually like how my family is right now and I want to keep it that way. I'm sorry if you’re upset that I didn’t say no to him because of you parole offer. I know that we have such a good relationship. I also found out everyone else’s names. Dwayne seems to be second in command. He’s a Native American and doesn’t talk a lot. He also seems to be the most closet to Laddie besides Star. Star is that gypsy chick I mentioned yesterday and I found out that she’s not the gangs whore. In fact she doesn’t seem to like the gang at all. I don’t understand why? I found out that she is sort of like a gypsy being able to read peoples hands. She read mine and told me that I was motherly and strong willed. Those didn’t surprise me but what did surprise me is that I was going to die by vengeance. Anyway the last two Lost Boys are Paul and Marko. They seem to be best friends. Paul is sort of a junkie and is very wild. Marko is kind of shy but has a good sense of humor. Yesterday Michael and I hang out with all of them and we had a lot of fun. Until Mike said he saw Maggots and worms as his food. I knew David did some kind of trick but I just don’t know how. We also seemed to get drunk last night and now have to pay the price by this horrible hang over. This hang over tho isn’t normal. I can barley keep my eyes open and when I do it feels like there slowly burning. So Mike and I are basically forced to wear sunglasses. We also don’t even remember how we got home or how our bikes got here as well. I also noticed that Michael had an earning in his right ear and I had an earning in my left. I didn’t expect my earning to be David’s but it was. This however I'm going to keep a secret between you and me parole offer okay. When I looked into my mirror, my reflection wasn’t normal. It was basically see- through and I literally could see right threw me. It scared me to shit and that’s why I'm terrified of telling anyone. I can't even tell Michael or Sam. I just grab a purple tang top and my jacket and kept on the same jeans and heels as I had on yesterday. I’m just going to take Sam to the Comic Store and then go to Maria house to calm me down. I hope it works.

Rose Emerson

Date: June 8th 1987

Time: It’s too early to read the clock

Weather- BRIGHT

I closed my diary and decided to take it with me. I took one of mother’s old purses and stuck it in there. I grabbed it along with my keys and went to Sam’s room. I knocked on it once and opened the door to find him reading a comic on his bed.

“Sorry to kept you waiting. You reading to go?” I ask Sam trying to show him that I was perfectly fine.

“Yeah lets go.” Said Sam dropping his comic on his bed and walking towards me.

We walked towards the garage and I sat on my bike and noticed that a small note was placed were the break was. Sam was sitting behind me wrapping his arms around my waste. I decided to read it later were I was alone so I just put it in my bag for now. I rode off to the Boardwalk and I parked by bike. I noticed that there were a lot more people here then there usually are at night so I made sure that Sam got to the comic book store before I left to hang out with Maria. As we were walking down the boardwalk to the store Sam and I started to talk since we haven’t had the chance to before.

“So what happened last night? You and Mike don’t look to good?” said Sam with worry.

“Don’t worry about us Sammy. Were just in hang over’s. Michael is just really tired and cranky and I’m…just worried. So how do you feel about being baby sat by Michael” I ask him in a playful way.

“I'm piss about it. I am fourteen, not some little kid.” He said with an angry face.

“Well maybe mom would treat you like an adult if you didn’t read superman comics.” I said sarcastically.

“Don’t start this again.” He said with an annoyed tone.

“Fine I won't. But how about this, I’m going to hang out with Maria today and before I do, I’ll talk to mom about giving you some freedom.”

“Yeah that be great.” He said smiling.

We finally walked into the comic book store and I was about to say goodbye until I saw some fourteen year old boys staring at Sam. Sam just shook his head and started looking threw comics. They saw me and stared at me even weirder. As if I was a frog in a science class. Maybe these were the boys that Sam mentioned that acted like they knew a secret.

“Notice anything unusual about Santa Carla yet?” ask the dark haired boy.

“Naw, it’s a pretty cool place if you’re a marsh in.” Said Sam

“Or a vampire.” Said the other boy with light brown hair.

“Are you guys stiffing on newsprint or something?” said Sam in a joking way with a smile.

“You think you really know what’s happening around here, well I’ll tell you something, you don’t know shit buddy.” Said the light haired boy.

“What’s your problem? Piss that mommy and daddy made you work?” I ask them in an angry tone.

“So you think we just work in a comic book store for our folks huh?” ask the dark haired boy.

“Actually I thought it was a bakery.” Said Sam still looking at comics.

“This is just our cover. Were dedicated to a higher purpose. Were fighters for truth, justice, and the American way.” said the light haired boy in a very serious way.

“All alright.” Whispered Sam.

“Hey man, read this.” Said the light haired boy again. This time showing him a comic about Vampires.

“I told you I don’t like horror comics.” Said Sam paying no interest in it.

“I’ll pay for it if you leave Sam alone.” I said stepping between them.

I took out some money and handed it to them and put the comic in my purse.

“Our number is on the back of all our comics and pray you never need to call us.” Said the dark haired boy.

“Whatever” I said to them. “Sam, get whatever comics you want and hurry home. You better be home before sundown.” I said walking out of the store. I walked towards my bike and hopped on it. I was about to drive to the video store until I decided to read that note that was attached to my bike.

Rose and Michael:

Try not to eat a lot and sleep as much as you can during the day to feel better. Also we’ll be seeing you both tonight, no matter where you are.

-David