Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Karma's A Bitch

Franchesa

"What's wrong with you two?" Zacky asked, drinking his iced tea.

"We have Peterson," I grumbled for Josh and myself. Angel, Jessica, Jimmy, and Leana were lucky enough to have Mrs. Garcia for American Literature II. I hate that woman too because she thinks she's the best English teacher in the school, but I'd rather have her class than Peterson's!

Zacky laughed at me banging my forehead against the table. "And you people made fun of me for having her last year for World Lit. I have Greco this year for American Lit," he grinned.

"Yeah? Well when you're a junior next year, we're gonna torture the hell out of you when you have to take the SATs," Josh spat, banging his forehead on the table too.

"That doesn't faze me. I don't get overly stressed about things like that."

"Lucky bastard," I mumbled.

"What's wrong with you two?" asked Matt. I lifted my head. At least I get to have lunch with him again this year. Our group isn't complete with just Zacky, Josh, Matt, and me but it'll do. If only I wasn't the only girl here. Wait a minute, who's the girl holding his hand?

Josh cleared his throat. "We have Peterson this year for Lit."

"Oh yeah," Matt sighed, "I do too. I didn't do the summer homework. My first F of the year."

I didn't hear Zacky or Josh call my name. My whole attention was on the girl tugging on Matt's hand. Who is she?

Matt smiled, feeling her pull on his hand. "Oh yeah! This is my girlfriend, Lisa," he said.

Girlfriend? I think my heart just broke. I felt sad, hurt, angry, surprised, betrayed, but most of all, angry. I pushed myself out of the seat and stormed off to my locker. It was either walk away or I say something I'd regret later on.

I found my locker and punched it extremely hard. My hand was in pain and a very small dent now made my locker look special compared to everyone else's but I didn't fucking care. Did he say Lisa? Did he say girlfriend?

I was way too angry to cry over him. The crying is going to set in later, I'm sure of that. Right now, I want to punch him in the face over and over again until I broke something on his face. How could he do this to me? He led me on! The bastard told me I was beautiful yesterday and then today he goes and gets himself a girlfriend? Does he know how much that hurts? I want to be with him! I don't want this stupid Lisa with him. She's taking my place, mine! It isn't fair! It isn't...

"Hey."

I raised my head from my locker, the fury already bubbling in my throat. Did he come here to explain to me "it just happened"? I really want him to because then I'd have a reason to kill him without any guilt.

I raised my hand into a fist. I opened my eyes and looked into dark brown ones. "Rafael?" I whispered.

He smiled, nodding his head. "Surprise!" he laughed, wiggling his fingers at me.

I smiled weakly, trying to bring my rage down. I didn't want to take my anger out on him. No one deserved this resentment but dear old Matthew Charles Sanders.

"Whoa!" I gasped, poking his arm just to make sure he was there and I wasn't hallucinating. "Why are you here? This isn't Spain! Am I dreaming? Help pinch me! I'm not waking up! Rafael!"

He laughed heartily, taking my hands into his so I couldn't pinch myself anymore. It's not fair, even if my dreams he's mean. I pouted, trying to pry my hands away from his.

"Franchesa, stop," he ordered, his face serious now. I quieted down and didn't fidget anymore. "You are not dreaming. I do not know if you feel the same about me, but I sure hope that you do. Would you like to be my girlfriend?"

How could I forget my feelings for Rafael? I didn't talk to him for two weeks and I forgot all the amazing conversations we had late at night before I went to sleep. He seemed so expectant, I couldn't say no.

"Yes," I smiled, relaxing my hands.

He smiled too, pulling me into a hug. "You will not regret this," he whispered into my ear.

"That I'm sure," I replied, pushing him away a little. "Now come, you have to say hello to your friends." I reached for Rafael's hand, holding it with mine. I liked the feeling of this and my cheeks were slightly warm.

I'm going to show Matt. He's going to be jealous of Rafael. He'll wish he asked me out first. He'll see how incredibly stupid he is.

"Hi guys!" I beamed once Rafael and I walked to the usual table.

Josh and Zacky's mouths were open in shock before they jumped out of their seat and gave Rafael man hugs. I got some of their love too since I was still attached to Rafael's right hand.

The only person who wasn't too thrilled was Matt. Lisa sat there with a friendly smile on her face. She didn't exactly know us so it was the best she could do. She seemed like a cool girl but I knew I wouldn't like her because she's with Matt. Freaking bitch.

After Josh and Zacky calmed down, Rafael and I sat down close to each other.

"Something you're not telling us?" Matt asked through gritted teeth.

I grinned at his anger. His jaw muscles were tight and his fingers were twitching. "Oh right! Rafael is my boyfriend!" I mentioned as though I forgot.

Again, Josh and Zacky opened their mouths in shock. Instead of the man hug thing, they gave each other handshakes.

Matt cleared his throat. "Mind if I talk to you Franchesa?"

"Sure, what's up?" I asked; an innocent smile on my face.

He shook his head. "No, privately."

I sighed, nodding my head. Rafael gave me a look as though to ask if anything was wrong. I shook my head and kissed his cheek before standing up and following Matt. We walked to my locker. I remembered the dent I caused and the anger shot up again.

"What do you want?" I growled when Matt looked at me.

"Why are you dating him?"

"Cause he asked me?" Duh, you're stupid.

"I don't want you with him."

"Why?"

He hesitated. "He can hurt you. I don't want that."

"He isn't going to hurt me. You're badmouthing your friend you know."

"He so is going to! He's a jock! All jocks hurt girls."

"That means that you do too," I said with so much truth behind my words I wanted to cry. I couldn't stand to see his face anymore. I left him at my locker, walking back to the cafeteria.

I sunk back into my seat, leaning against Rafael's muscular arm. He smiled with a question in his smile. He wanted to know what Matt and I talked about. I shook my head. I'd tell him later when we were alone. For now, I just wanted to be comforted. I held onto his forearm, wrapping it around my shoulders. His grip on my shoulder tightened a bit in reassurance. I snuggled into his side, my arms around his torso. He felt so warm and safe...