Status: finito : )

57 Hilton Street

two.

Alex and Jack somehow put up with each other all through middle school, where they met life-long friends Zack and Rian.

Their first real argument came during middle school; all previous ones having been about petty things like whether cats are better than dogs, or who stole the other’s crayon. This was a big argument, an actual argument. They were throwing abuse around the room, not caring who it hit. They never thought they’d see the day.

It was three days after Alex’s fourteenth birthday, the day before Rian’s. Meaning it was the seventeenth of December, freakishly near Christmas.

Jack thought he’d seen Alex trying to chat up his sister.

Alex denied doing so as if his survival depended on it. Which, granted, it partly did - if Jack thought they were together, Alex was mincemeat.

However, Alex wouldn’t deny it; May was a decent looking girl, she had everything Alex liked in a girlfriend - sweet personality, awesome sense of humor, everything. Her hair was perfect - a not quite black, but dark chocolate brown. But she was eleven years old. And his best friend’s little sister. That part would never change; she’d always be Jack’s sister - now and forever - and Jack would always protect her.

Alex was snapped out of his thoughts by Jack shouting at him.

“Gaskarth! Seriously, if I catch you with my sister, consider your life as you know it over.” Jack frowned.

“But what if I want to go out with her?” Alex asked indignantly, crossing his arms and stopping dead in the hallway.

“She’s eleven!” Jack shouted “She doesn’t know what’s going on!”

“She’s not stupid, Jack!” Alex hollered “I know she’s younger, but she’s not five anymore!”

“And you’re not seven but what difference does that make?”

“All the difference!” Alex retorted “I’m not telling you how to look after her, but she can grow up just fine on her own!”

“I’m not stopping her from growing up; I’m just stopping guys like you from hurting her!”

“Guys like me? Jack, she’s your sister, I know how much she means to you! I’d never hurt her, because it would only hurt you!”

Jack sighed, brushing his fringe from his face. His hair was the exact same color as May’s, but with blobs of bleach blonde scattered throughout.

“You know what, Alex? I never said I’d stop you two dating, all I’m ever going to try to do is stop assholes from hurting my sister!”

“Jack, I told you! I wouldn’t hurt her!”

“I don’t believe you! And anyway, you’re supposed to be my best friend; best friends don’t go around trying to get with each others sisters!”

Alex stopped. Somewhere deep down, he knew Jack was right.

“Just think about that.” Jack said in a quiet voice, turning away and burying his hands in his pockets before striding away down the corridor.

Alex remained on the spot, feeling all eyes in the corridor upon him. Jack had to pick the most public place in the whole school to make a scene, didn’t he?

He leant against the wall and chewed on his bottom lip as he thought, twirling a few strands of greasy brown hair in his fingers.

His thoughts were banished as a flying mess of plaid skirt and Bon Jovi tee pounced on him. It was May. She giggled and let go of him, smiling up at him.

“Happy birthday for… a while ago.” She said, pretending to be deep in thought. Alex laughed.

“Awwh, thanks.” He petted her on the shoulder. It suddenly struck him that if Jack - or one of his friends - saw him talking to May alone, he’d presume that Alex was asking her out.

“Hey, your brother was looking for you earlier. I think you should go and find him before he gets annoyed.”

May pouted, but left anyway.

She found Jack sulking on one of the benches in the courtyard.

“Jacky, are you okay?” He looked up at the sound of his sister’s voice.

“I guess.” He replied, smiling weakly at her as she sat down next to him.

“Alex told me you were looking for me earlier. What did you want?” Jack frowned.

“He did? Did he say anything else?”

May shook her head.

“Really?”

“Yeah, really. I told him happy birthday for last Monday and he said you were looking for me.”

“I didn’t expect that.” Jack said, thinking aloud.

“Didn’t expect what?” May asked curiously.

“Nothing. Doesn’t matter.”

Jack made a mental note to hug Alex later in apology for thinking he’d ask May out when he clearly would never do such a thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is :D
Hoe you like it.
I'm sorry it's making massive time jumps, I have to get everyone up to speed in a short space of time, that's all. :/
x