We Met at the Morgue

May 17th, 2009; Your Face is So Cold

I raced back to the morgue as fast as I could. You'd think a block of running wouldn't be so hard, but I don't run. My legs weren't made to run. I'm a naturally wounded gazelle and these lions, or shadows of lions were going to catch me. I kept looking behind me almost every second of the way, there was no one visibly there, but I could feel a dark presence surround me. It was a heavy, unwanted shadow that weighed me down while I was running. It wasn't until I got to the morgue did I stop to actually breathe. I took in heavy, deep breaths and burst through the morgue doors. The slam echoed through out the halls and bounced off of the walls down the other corridors. I couldn't breathe normally. Running and the fear of being chased and now being watched, no, stalked, made me feel uncomfortable. The pure white walls of the morgue never felt more cold. The morgue never felt so cold and so empty. Bethany had already left so it had to be just Dennis and I.

"Dennis!" I cried in a panic. I saw his head poke from the right hallway, by the vending machine. The entrance to the morgue has a fork in it. The left hallway goes down to the body room and the right hallway is where the break room is, the offices, and all the boring stuff.

"Hey Sadie, what did you get?" Dennis smiled. There was something about Dennis' smile that seemed to calm me down every time I needed it. As he walked down the hallway he unwrapped and candy bar.

"I got a few hot dogs and a Greek salad, wanna eat?" I asked. He nodded and hugged me close.

"You're shaking," He whispered. I didn't even notice.

"I am? I'm sorry," I apologized, I didn't know why I apologized, but I did.

"Are you okay?' He asked very concerned. I just nodded and gave him a week smile. "You go finish with you bodies and I'll wait in the break room. You have six left," Dennis finished before taking the bag and running.

"You're welcome!" I shouted to him. He was acting odd, odder than usual. I shrugged my shoulders and wiped it off. He was probably just existed to go out to eat tonight and get work over with. Or he was starving. I proceeded to the back room where my last bodies were being held. The back room is the coldest room since it's air conditioned to below freezing. We have to keep the corpse preserved so they don't decay. That's the last thing we need, rotting dead people. I grabbed the clip board and didn't bother to read it, all I did was roll one of my bodies down to the front where we kept their little cells.

"Ray Toro, age thirty-one. Cause of death; multiple scratch woulds, stabs, and bruises. After the autopsy the body healed it's self," I scanned the clipboard. I pulled down the white blanket and there laid an older man with a full head of brown, curly, frizzy hair. His face wasn't white. It still had color.

"How long was he dead?" I asked myself. The clipboard didn't say. I checked all of the others and they said the same there, until I got to the last one and read the name.

"Frank Iero," I whispered and dropped the clipboard.