Sequel: Lost & Found
Status: Completed! Minor editting - mostly for grammar and spelling - now underway. ;)

Sugar & Spice

White Lies and Goodbyes

*Rosie’s Point of View

“’The Order of the Phoenix’?” I echoed blankly. “What’s the Order of the Phoenix?”

He smiled broadly, his piercing blue eyes glinting over his half-moon spectacles.

“I founded the Order shortly after Voldemort began recruiting followers. Our aim is to counteract and thwart every effort on his part to instil fear in the hearts of witches and wizards, and we are also trying to locate him and his Death Eaters and stop him before he becomes more powerful. It’s a secret organization, one with many able witches and wizards around the globe. Mr Black has been keeping me informed of your progress in your tutoring sessions, and he is of the strong impression that you are a very talented witch.”

A lovely warm feeling settled into my stomach at the fact that Black had spoken so highly of me, but after a slight pause Dumbledore continued, “I am loath to put such a huge responsibility on such young shoulders, but am I correct in assuming that you – forgive me – do not have any prior arrangements?”

I nodded dumbly, my mind whizzing over the vastness of it all, and then caught myself.

“I want to join. I want to help.” I informed him seriously. He surveyed me for a moment over his half-moon glasses, seemingly searching for any signs of uncertainty in my expression. I knew there were none. Even so he seemed hesitant to say his next part.

“...Unfortunately, I must insist that you sever all contact with your current friends and acquaintances, as it may jeopardise your own safety, and those of others in the future. I will however, tell you more about this later when I brief you. Are you absolutely certain you wish to do this, Miss Tamsworth?”

I nodded like it was no big deal, but my heart almost stopped at his words. Sever all contact...

I knew I had to do this though. For my Mom, for the way that I had now been forced to flee both of my homes, and for the fact that my family was under attack and would be until Voldemort was stopped. Not to mention the countless atrocities and losses other people had been forced to endure at the hands of this supposed ‘Dark Lord’ and his followers.

It didn’t mean I had to be happy about that last part though. I almost backed out right then, but managed to keep my mouth shut. This was important.

“Excellent. Then it’s settled! I think it would be best if I brief you once you have safely been escorted to your new residence.” I stood up at that, recognising my dismissal.

“Rosie,” He stopped me on my way to the door, using my forename for the first time. I turned. I noticed his hesitant, but empathetic expression as he looked over the top of his glasses at me. “I’m very sorry that this is happening to you. It won’t be like this forever though. Remember that.” His words comforted me and soothed my worries, even if it was only momentary. I mustered up the best smile I could, trying to put real feeling into it.

Then I turned and fled his office lest I should begin to cry in front of him. I could feel it coming now; everything about this was overwhelming, and all the implications were slowly building. Why should I have to bear this burden?

As had happened on my last trip to the Headmaster’s office, I left feeling weary and sad, but I knew that wasn’t his fault.

I slowly made my way back to the hospital wing, just one thought in my mind.

I would have to say goodbye to everybody. To Black.

Tears finally welled up and ran down my cheeks as it fully hit me; I had to sever all contact with them – if not for my own safety, then theirs.

Black – Sirius. What if I never saw him again?

I wouldn’t think about that. I couldn’t.

I finally entered the infirmary after pausing to wipe my eyes. Tom was lounging on the bed I’d woken up in and Father was pacing in front of the massive ornate window at the other end of the hospital wing. Tom looked up at me.

I didn’t bother greeting them; I wasn’t staying here long.

“Tom, can I borrow your cloak please?” He frowned and opened his mouth to speak, but I held up my hand and but him off. I warily eyed my approaching father, who had now been alerted to my presence. He looked tense, like he wanted to leave right at that moment, but he’d have to wait.

“Please,” I pleaded. Furrowing his eyebrows with confusion Tom undid the silver snake clasp and tossed it to me in one smooth movement. I swung it around my shoulders, ignoring how long and big it was; a whole foot of material now pooled at my feet, but it didn’t matter – it would serve its purpose of covering up my bare legs and hospital gown.

“What is this? I told you we were leaving immediately.” Father stopped in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest. I craned my neck up to see his face – he was very tall, towering over me at six foot four – and cringed at the ire in his eyes.

“I have to say goodbye to my friends.” I turned to leave.

“Listen Rosie -” I whirled around, my eyes flashing.

“No, you listen Tom. This is my home – my friends are like my family now. I can’t just up and leave them all behind without so much as a goodbye. You should understand!” I yelled towards the end, frustrated. My father sighed resignedly, for the first time showing any sign of anything but annoyance in front of me.

“Be back soon Rosaline. Pack your things, say your goodbyes and meet us at the outside gate. We are leaving soon.” He told me sternly, putting strong emphasis on the last part.

“Thank you.” I replied gratefully, inwardly surprised he didn’t try to stop me. Maybe he’s not so bad after all, I thought as I sprinted out.

I ran all the way up to Gryffindor Tower, and by the time I got there I was panting, completely out of breath. I glanced around, looking for Sirius or Remus – somebody. To my dismay though, there were only a handful of people sitting on the couches, but nobody I knew.

I took the stairs two at time up to our dorm, still hoping to find Lily, but unsurprised when I saw that our room was empty.

Dropping on all fours I crawled under my bed and pulled out my suitcase. Very aware of my impatient father and brother waiting for me, I grabbed random items of clothing from my wardrobe and chest of drawers, and then all my schoolbooks. I would need them if I wanted to continue to learn magic. Tears pricked my eyes as I realised I probably wouldn’t ever come back to Hogwarts, but I pushed them down.

Five minutes later I was completely finished. Using magic I levitated my trunk it front of me as I trotted down the stairs, still getting my breath back. I was about to leave the common room when a flash of dark red caught my eye. Lily, I thought with relief.

She looked up at the same time that I spotted her; immediately a worried, concerned expression formed on her face, and she stood up uncertainly as she took in my hospital gown and overly large cloak.

“Rosie, what’s -” I lowered my wand so that my trunk crashed to the floor and cut her off by pulling her into a tight hug. “Rosie!” She gasped, anxiously patting my back. “What’s happened to you? You look awful.” I pulled away from her and tried to smile.

“Nothing, Red. Where are the boys?”

“They’re at lunch. What’s going on Rosie?” I sighed.

“I’m just kind of...going away for a little while. Yeah, going away.” She immediately looked more concerned than before - and suspicious. She didn’t even notice the group of 3rd Years behind me as they released a Fanged Frisbee to raucous laughter and loud cheers.

“Why?” I fidgeted, but finally answered her in a low voice.

“You know I told you the whole thing about Tom and my father being on the run? Well Father woke up and they’re taking me on a-uh...a holiday.” I lied quickly. I hoped she didn’t notice.

“But you’re coming back, right?” She questioned, bewildered; I didn’t blame her – my story didn’t make much sense, even to me. I mustered my brightest fake smile, but my throat constricted, and I couldn’t speak with any kind of real volume. She leaned in to hear me.

“Yeah. Yeah, I’ll be back.” She frowned, but before she could say anything else, I added, “Bye, Red – I have to go now. Stay in touch, yeah?” I tacked on, even though I knew that where I was going nobody would be able to reach me. That was the point.

I kissed her on the cheek and left her standing there, quickly jumping out of the portrait hole with my trunk once more levitating beside me.

I took a deep, steadying breath before I took off down the corridor.

Now for the hard part.
♠ ♠ ♠
OK, as always, comments are always much appreciated, even if occasionally I don't reply to them. I really do love feedback - they let me know I'm doing it right :)

Again, the next chapter will be the last for this story :). I have so many plans for the sequel *quivers with excitement*.

I'm such a nerd.

Happy Reading,
The Writer x :)