Sequel: Chasing our Fate

You Can't Fight Fate

Tutor

Image

“Whoa…” I breathed, mesmerized by how the black dress Stevvie was wearing hit all the right places. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. She fixed her lip-gloss in the mirror, allowing me to check out the other side of her. “No way…,” It was even better than the front. She was adorned in a short, long-sleeved, lace black dress. My favorite part...it was backless.

“What?” she asked.

“Oh nothing…it’s just…you look amazing,” I complemented her once again.

A flirty smile crept up on her face as she closed the small tube. She sauntered over to me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

“You’re adorable,” she whispered, “I’m guessing this dress is short and sexy enough for you?”

I smirked. “Just enough to make me forget that I’m taking you out,” I whispered, “It’s definitely bordering on that.”

“I guess we should get going then,” she decided.
<->

Stevvie fumbled with her keys, trying to stall until she’d have to go inside her apartment.
“I had an awesome time tonight Nicholas,” she said once again, “Thank you so much, I never thought you’d bring me to a jazz lounge. I guess you do have an inner jazzer after all.”

Nick chuckled. “I did too, I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It’s just another reason why I love Chicago, their music scene is awesome.”

After the nervous laughs were over, the awkward silence began. Nick’s hands were firmly placed in his pockets, giving Stevvie strong signals he wasn’t going to make a move tonight. Nick nervously took a deep breath and removed his hands just before she stuck her key in the door.

“Stevvie…” he murmured, taking her hand.

She turned to him in hopes he would make a move. “Yes Nicholas.”

He looked down at her lips as he pulled her closer to him by the hips. She smiled a tiny bit, knowing what was going to happen. Nick leaned into to kiss her, only to stop to remove a piece of hair from her face. His slightly calloused fingers caressed her jaw line, pulling her towards his lips.

"Stevvie I..." He breathed.

"Just shut up and kiss me already..." Stevvie whispered mischievously with a tiny smirk.

He let out a slow breath of air, licked his lips and finally placed his lips onto hers.

After months of waiting, after all the countless attempts to kiss her, he finally did. Something as simple as two people's lips joining together means so much more than both Nick and Stevvie imagined. It symbolized the beginning of something both of them had been waiting for. They knew from just that one kiss, that they were meant for each other. If sparks don’t fly enough on the fourth of July, then their kiss definitely did. It was a simple kiss…no tongue or anything. But, it was sweet and gentle…perfect for both of them. The first thing that flashed into Stevvie's mind was an old version of herself and Nick doing the exact same thing they're doing years from now. It was that moment that she (if she wasn't already) was sure she was in love with Nicholas Jerry Jonas. Nick felt like he could explode any second from the emotions he felt towards the girl of his dreams. Everything that he had been fantasizing about had a great chance of happening. Never had he wanted to be with someone more than Stevvie.

But, they have no misconception about what love is. It isn’t a fanciful story that always has a happy ending. It’s messy, it’s painful, it’s beautiful and it’s overwhelming. It’s giving someone the ability to hurt you worse than anyone else will ever be able to. It’s having someone to whisper your secrets to late at night. It’s sharing your pillow even when it makes you a little less comfortable. It’s being so frustrated with another person that you could scream, but still thinking they are the most beautiful living creature on the face of this earth. It’s sharing dessert, even if it means you’ll have one less bite. It’s taking the good days with the bad days, but always being grateful that you got to spend them together. It’s opening yourself up to the greatest hurt in the world willingly and graciously. And…it’s totally worth it.

"Wow..." Nick breathed as he pulled away.

"Yeah..." Stevvie agreed, still breathless, "I see what you mean by it being worth the wait."

Nick smiled genuinely, pulling her into another, deeper kiss. Once they pulled away, they both noticed their breathing a bit ragged.

"Goodnight Stevvie," Nick murmured.

Stevvie giggled unintentionally and tried to put her key into the door.

"Y-yeah...you too," she stammered in infatuation, "goodnight Nicholas."

They both let out nervous laughs as they walked away, completely in love with each other.

"Oh...my...god..." Stevvie began freaking out, actually realizing what just happened, "that was even better then I dreamed...wow."

"Wow..." Nick muttered as he shook his head. his mind was clouded with the thoughts of Stevvie. She was his dream girl and the best kisser he'd ever kissed. He had already made up his mind that that wasn't going to be the last time he did that.

<->
“Baby, what’s the weather like outside?” Stevvie yelled from her room.

“It’s January in Chicago, what do you think?” I shouted back.

“Ha-ha, you’re so funny,” she replied sarcastically, “have you seen my Louboutin gray boots?”

I looked around her apartment in search of the specific shoes. Piles of clothes, shoes and papers littered her entire living room.

“Umm…I can’t see anything actually…did your closet explode out her or something?” I asked.

She rolled her eyes at me. “No…I’ve just been busy lately! I have a book coming out in less than three months and I have to keep up with classes. Plus I’m in the works of finding a publicist. I’ll clean up later.”

“What’s the book about anyway?” I questioned her. Ever since September, she had been working on a book that none of the gang could figure out. Stevvie had children’s books out already, but this was her big debut I guess.

She shook her head as I helped her into her coat. “You’ll just have to see. Let’s go.”

I shut the door behind me and wrapped my arms around Stevvie's shoulders. Soon, really soon…she would be my girlfriend. I was planning to ask her today at breakfast, which was where were headed now. The day was looking good so far. The sun was out and most of the snow from a previous cold front had melted away. It was a bright Saturday morning, the fourteenth, and hopefully our anniversary in a year from now. Stevvie’s blue eyes had turned a deep shade due to the electric blue shirt she was adorned in and her cheeks were rosy from the cold breeze. On the car ride to our destination, we discussed if the Yankees could take another world series and what games we were excited for. Even though Stevvie was raised in Chicago pretty much all her life, she had deep roots in the northeastern area much like me. Her parents both were from New Jersey and she visited her grandparents in New York often.

As we were ordering, I absentmindedly twirled and played with a piece of Stevvie’s raven locks. She had recently gotten a nice fringe to frame her face and it was in loose, natural curls. She smiled, giggled and gave my other hand and squeeze. She did so little, yet it still drove me crazy. The café smelled of coffee, fresh breads and newspaper. Not many people under thirty were around on account of the time except a bored teenage at the counter, it was only about 7:30. Stevvie was an early riser.

An old African-American couple sat in a booth, doing a crossword together, laughing quietly every so often. I smiled at the fact that even at their age they looked as if they were newlyweds. Near them sat two older gentlemen, twin brothers specifically, playing chess together. Near the window were businesspersons and men, a young looking person with technological stuff spread out and a mother and her baby. She was behind a purple computer typing away while her baby boy sipped a bottle contently while watching her work.
Seeing this sight reminded me of my first encounter with Stevvie. We had seen each other, but never actually met until I went up to her that one fateful Saturday morning, much like the one we were having.

I had just gotten back from The UK from the Britain awards (NJ&TA was nominated and we one best pop group) and was severely jet-lagged. I didn’t want to disturb Storm’s sleep and had massive amounts of homework to catch up on, so I decided to find a nice place to work. The library was closed and so was the student center so I settled for the coffee shop Storm always mentioned her was going to when he met up with “the gang”. I had no idea who the gang was at the time. I knew about Jackie because she was a student aide in the administration office and she showed me to my dorm after I applied for one too late (luckily Storm’s original roommate transferred schools, leaving it open for me…fate right?) and I knew Eric from the student center because he worked in the student store located inside it.

I also knew about Stevvie, I hadn’t heard her name but a few times and but I saw her all the time. She had a routine I would (unintentionally) follow her on. Every morning, she would run with her massive Great Dane around the block when I went for coffee, then she would appear in the hallway on my way to the same classes and I would see her at church in the children’s room when I dropped off Lilly, the dean’s granddaughter. (He and my dad became friends and in order for me to have my dorm since I applied after the deadline, I had to take Lilly to church with me every Wednesday. So, he kind of bent the rules for me, I owed him.) I couldn’t figure it out about Stevvie, but she intrigued me. I have met thousands of girls and hundreds of exceptionally attractive girls so I had no idea why she had this weird effect of me. But, every time I saw her I couldn’t help but wonder what was going on in her head and who was she? I guess it would explain why I was so shy to meet her, imagine going up to a person you fantasize about what they were like for so long, it’s kind of intimidating. I had no idea how my fans did it.

Soon, I found myself fixating on her. I would take tabs and tried to dissect who she was by whom she hung out with and the things I noticed she did. I felt like such a stalker, but I couldn’t help myself. It’s just something that came natural being in the business because you can’t trust someone on just who they present themselves as, you have to be more careful.

As I was struggling with my Algebra and had already given up on Chemistry, I noticed Stevvie in the very same corner that the mother and child were. She was busy typing on her laptop. For it being so early, Stevvie looked so awake and blended right in to the urban coffee crowd that always hung out in local (no Starbucks here) coffee shops. She had on black rimmed hipster glasses, a beret, and a stylish scarf on.

With the quick recollection that she had signed up to be a student tutor on the library bulletin board, I gave myself an excuse to talking her. I truly needed help in math and science though.

<->
*flashback*

“Hi…uhh…you’re a friend of Storm’s right?”

I watched her peak over her glasses and do a double take. I get double takes excessively much.

She pushed her hair from her eyes and looked up. “Uh, yeah...yeah I am. Stevvie...Stevvie Jameson.”

“I’m Nick by the way,” I told her. I shook her hand, instantly noticing how soft and thin her fingers were. “So, what brings you here so early? Is this seat taken?” I asked quietly. She shook her head no and quickly shut her laptop. She removed her bangs from her face and smiled up at me.

“Inspiration, I have a book deadline and my apartment wasn’t cutting it,” Stevvie explained,“Now what about you?”

“Jet-lag and laziness,” I confessed, “I’m behind on my studies.”

A smug grin on her face appeared. “Well, maybe you’re not very cut-out for actual college…we’ve only been in school for two weeks.”

“Yeah…but you have to give me the benefit of the doubt. I’m still working and I haven’t been in a normal classroom where my name is on the attendance in years, let alone actually having homework,” I defended.

“Very true…that explains that…but that also leaves another question,” she stated, “Why are you here?”

I leaned my elbow on the table. “I guess I’m a sucker for a pair of blue eyes and a pretty face.”

She blushed, removing hair from her face once again.

“Aren’t you too behind on school work to be flirting with girls?” she asked.

I smirked. “Well, I was hoping flirting could maybe score me a tutor…maybe someone more cut-out for college…

“You know you could have just asked,” She pointed out, “but sure I’ll be your tutor.”

I sighed. “Yeah, but flirting is more fun…plus you’re cute when you blush so, I think I’m going to keep flirting with you.”

“Are you serious?” she scoffed, “Did Storm pay you to come mess with me or something?”

I shook my head. “He doesn’t even know I’m back. Is there a problem with me flirting with you?”

“I could have a boyfriend or something,” she pointed out, “and I’m not even your type…you’re into…”

“Well, do you?” I interjected, “and I don’t have a type…unless you count Stevvie Jameson as one…”

“Well, no, I actually just got out of a relationship and I'm certainly not looking…but still…and really?”

“Exactly,” I smirked, “and yes really…and if I had a type I’d say you were my type…I’ve seen you around school and you seem like a sweet girl.”

“Okay…so what now?”

“Now, you’re going to put your number in my phone and I’ll do the same,” I replied, taking out my phone.

“You don’t even know me…what if I sold your phone number or something?” she replied.

“Somehow I have a feeling you wouldn’t do that…are you saying that I shouldn’t trust you?”

“Well, no it’s just you seem very…straightforward,” she explained.

“I’m just that kind of guy…” I shrugged, “so, when can I call you?”

“When you need help I guess,” Stevvie replied.

“All right, I definitely will,” I replied, standing up, “Have a good day Stevvie Jameson.”

“You too…Nicholas Jonas,” she replied, that same piece of hair fell into her face. Before leaving, I slowly moved it behind her ear for her, causing her to blush once again.


<->

As we sat at that table, I listened to Stevvie go on about the future intently. A small smile formed on my face, recalling all the times we shared together and I hoped for many more.

“Stevvie, I think you know how I feel about you by now…” I began, taking her hands into mine...
♠ ♠ ♠
:D:D:D So???? yay they kissed!
Guess who finished writing this story like yeah...? Me! I'm writing the third chapter of the sequel like yeah...I got party in the USA stuck in my head like yeah...lol