Status: Finished

Animal Attraction

Rejection

I looked at Jared and I could tell just by his body language he was hiding something from me. It was the advantage of being friends for so long that I knew everything about Jared. I knew his quirks and flaws and he knew mine.

“Why do I get the feeling that you know more than you lead on?” I asked.

Jared looked at the road as he drove me back to my house.

“I’m not hiding anything.” He said in his high pitch voice which meant he was.

“Ah-ha! You only do that high pitch voice when you are! What is it?” I asked.

He exhaled. “I’m not hiding anything, Erin. I promise, I pinkie promise.”

“Don’t pinkie promise unless you mean it.” I warned him. He knew how sacred the pinkie promise it was to us, and if he pinkie promised I had to believe him.

“I mean it.” Jared said.

“Are you sure?” I asked more firmly.

He nodded. “I am sure.” He gave me a smile.

“All right.” I said suspiciously and turned my body straight. I crossed my arms and looked at the road too.

“What are you going to tell your parents?” Jared asked.

“That a werewolf saved me.” I said sarcastically.

Jared chuckled.

“I’ll figure something out. I make better lies on the spot than when I think about them.” I said.

“That is true.” Jared said.

“I’m really sorry about the whole… ordeal.” I said shyly.

Jared nodded. “You had no idea how worried I was, Erin. I thought my heart was going to rip. You’re my sister, not literally, but--”

“I know what you mean and I feel the same way.” I said.

“As a brother, right? Not a sister… I’m a dude.” Jared pointed out and made me laugh.

Jared stopped at my house. I looked at the house and then back to Jared.

“I rather face vampires than my dysfunctional family.”

“That is not even funny.” Jared said seriously.

I still laughed and pecked his cheek and got out of the car. My mom and Landon walked out of the house and my mother ran to me and hugged me tightly. I heard as Jared’s car drove away. My mother told me how much she loved me and blah, blah, blah.

Once she got over that she pulled me from the hug and took me by the shoulders.

“You are grounded! How could you just go out like that?”

“I’ve always done it, mom.” I said.

“What happened to your hoodie?” She asked.

“It got caught in a branch.” I lied quickly. See? It was totally believable.

“You were in the woods at this time?” Landon asked.

“I’ve done it before, Landon. I know these woods like the back of my hand.” I was mad at him. While away I realized that I was letting him off the hook too easily. I couldn’t pretend everything was all right, not even for the sake of winning a bet with some spoiled brats.

[Jared’s Point of View]

After I dropped Erin at her house I went to leave my car and once that was done I phased and went back to Erin’s place because I knew that’s where Paul would be. I raced through the woods and tried to keep certain things out of my head so I concentrated on Kim and how much I loved her and that was the easiest way to avoid from the pack from knowing that Erin knew about us.

I saw the gray fur ball pacing back and forth. His eyes would glance at Erin’s room.

Jeez, relax, Paul, she’s safe. I told him through out telepathy mind shit.

She could’ve died, if I had been just half a second slow, she would’ve died. Paul growled at me as he bared his teeth.

You scared her! You snarled at her and she took a step back out of instinct. It would’ve been your fault! Okay, that wasn’t the nicest thing to say to someone who imprinted. In fact, it was a low blow, but he knew I was right.

I was just so mad at her! We both told her to stay inside and she didn’t listen! Paul shot back.

Maybe… maybe it’s time you tell her. I said slowly so he wouldn’t rip my head off.

Are you kidding? And expose her to our world?! Paul scoffed. No, I’m not doing it.

She already suspects and if she corners me I won’t be able to keep this a secret because she is my best friend, Paul. I shot back. Erin trusts me and that is hard to get, trust me.

Paul remained silent, but I knew what he was thinking. He was afraid of her rejection. I got that from his thoughts. He feared that even if he told Erin about the shape shifting and the imprint that she would still hate him. I wouldn’t want to be in his place.

She hates me. I know she’s only pretending to like me to win that stupid bet you did with her… how am I supposed to tell her we’re soul mates when she hates me? Paul was showing a vulnerable side I never knew.

You had a lot to do with her hate, dude. She tried a lot of times to end the fight, but you always spat on her. Maybe… it’s not a lover imprint, but a friendship. Maybe you’re just supposed to protect her. I suggested.

Paul looked to Erin’s house sadly for half a second and then turned into anger.

It’s not. When I kiss her it’s passionate and friends don’t kiss with passion. Paul said.

[Erin’s Point Of View]

I woke up in my room. The sun hit my face and I groaned and turned my back to the sun. I noticed that Angie wasn’t in the room. I remembered today was the day Landon was going to take us to Port Angeles and I was going to give them the tour.

I didn’t want to go. I rubbed my face with both of my hands. My mom entered my room.

“Morning, sweetie.” She smiled and sat at the end of the bed.

“Morning, mom.”

“How did you sleep?”

“Well.” I said.

“I want to talk about Paul.” My mom said.

“What about him?” I asked.

“Is it true what Angie said about him last night? Are you going out with him?”

“No, mom. God, I hate the dude and you know it. I would never go out with him… officially… we’re just messing around.”

“Messing around?”

“Yes, as in ‘it’s not serious and it will never be’.” I said as I hid under the covers.

I saw the disappointing look in her eyes and I wondered why. “She’s awake, Paul, come on in.”

I felt my heart swell up with fear. I closed my eyes and cursed softly to myself. I remained under the covers as I heard my mom leave and someone enter.

I might as well get it over with. I said to myself and removed the covers. Paul stood there at the entrance of my bedroom. I sat up and gave him a cheesy smile.

“You want to keep up appearances .” Paul said.

“I’m sure my mom wouldn’t understand since I’ve bashed about you since I was able to curse,” I said. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to see if you wanted to hang out today.”

“How did you know I had the day off?” I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms.

He smiled at me and it made me smile.

“It was just a chance I took and I got lucky.” Paul said.

“Landon is planning on taking us out for the day.”

“Skip it, come with me.” Paul said.

I grinned. “I’d like that, but… I can’t. My mom is pissed at me from yesterday.”

“What about yesterday?” Paul asked.

“I kind of ran away and almost died.”

“Almost?” He asked.

I shouldn’t have said that. I had to cover for Jared.

“I was at the cliffs and this large gray wolf scared me and I took a step back and almost fell, but…” I laughed. “This is going to sound crazy.”

“Try me.” Paul said as he crossed his large arms.

“The wolf kind of caught me with his mouth by my hoodie.” I said as I got out of bed and walked over to my chair and showed him the hoodie.

“You’re saying a large gray wolf saved you.” He smiled.

“I said it was crazy.” I said in a shrug.

“I’ve heard you say crazier things.”

“Like the time I told your date you had mono and she slapped you in front of the whole restaurant?” I giggled.

His eyes narrowed. “Yes, like that and the time you told my OTHER date that you were my girlfriend and were going to kick her ass.”

I laughed. “Oh yea, that one was a good one.” Paul laughed too. “I can ask Landon if you can come along if you want?”

He shook his head. “I want you all to myself.” He winked, it was becoming his trade mark, and crossed the distance between us and gave me a kiss. Like before it scrambled my brain and left me like a zombie. All I knew were his lips and how marvelous they felt against my own. Paul pulled from the kiss. “Be careful.”

I nodded and he walked out of my room.

What was that boy doing to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah! Sorry for the long wait. I already had it typed I just didn't have the time to edit :) Thank you all for the comments. I will try to add more Paul.

Image