Status: Finished

Animal Attraction

Pretend

The silence in the living room was long and awkward. I had the remote of the TV and kept changing the channel during commercials. I needed Jared. He was my rock. It was sad how I only had one friend in the whole town. But I had Paul to thank for that. I glanced over to Sean and he looked bored out of his mind. I got a wicked idea.

I stood up. “How about I show Sean and Angela around?”

“Angie.” Angie said with a hint of attitude but I ignored it.

“That’s a lovely idea.” Margaret clapped her hands.

“Bring some trunks and swimsuit.” I told them.

I went to my room and got into another pair of short shorts and a sports bra. I put a large white shirt that fit me like a dress and slipped on my sandals. I called Jared and he knew I was up to something bad but he couldn’t deny me anything after what he had done to me earlier that day.

I walked downstairs and found Angie ready to go up.

“Hi, I was wondering where your--”

“Second door on the left.” I pointed for her. “It’s the second one.” I said slowly to mock her.

She forced a smile. “How kind.” She said.

As she passed me by I heard her call me bastard. Did it hurt? Coming from her? No. Sean was already ready and he looked at me.

“Where are you taking us?” He asked.

“Somewhere fun.” I said in a cheery tone.

“But you don’t like us.” He said.

“What’s not to like? You’re my half brother.” I said sarcastically.

“I’m not a moron, Erin.” Sean scoffed. “My sister might be, but I’m not.”

I smirked. “I’m not taking you to get raped, so chill.”

“Wouldn’t put it past you from the things I heard.” He mumbled.

“Excuse me?” I asked.

He was surprised I actually heard him.

He opened his mouth to elaborate but Landon walked in and had a bright smile on his face.

“My children together at last.” He sighed happily.

I seriously wanted to punch him. My clenched fist remained at my side. I heard steps and Angie was coming down in a bikini. I smiled internally so they wouldn’t know my evil plan. Which isn’t so evil if you’re smart. There were two honks.

“That’s our ride.” I smiled.

“Who is it?” Landon asked.

“My best friend Jared. He has a car, so yeah.” I said as I opened the door of the house. “We’ll be fine because we’re not leaving town. My mom comes around midnight so you might want to make yourself comfortable.” I smiled.

Angie was red from the cheeks. “Jared is a boy.” She mumbled.

“Uh, last time I checked, yeah.”

She ran to her luggage and took out a pair of shorts and a shirt. After she was done I closed the door behind me. Jared gave me a hard stare. Sean and Angie were in the back. I got inside of the passenger seat.

“You owe me, buddy for what you did.” I pointed my finger.

“If I didn’t love you I wouldn’t care.” Jared said.

“But you do love me, so ha!” I grinned. “Oh, Sean, Angie this is Jared.”

“Hi.”

“Hello.” They mumbled.

“Welcome to La Push.” Jared smirked.

Angie got pinker from her cheeks. I rolled my eyes. I could tell her he had a girlfriend that he wouldn’t leave if the existence of man kind depended on it, but I kept that information to myself. Was that too mean? Don’t care.

Jared started to drive.

“Have you talked to Paul?” Jared asked.

“No, and I don’t ever want to.” I snapped at him.

“If you just lis--”

“Nooooooo!!!!” I said. “What part of No, don’t you get Jar? I’m not falling for his stupid game.”

Jared sighed in frustration. “Fine, he gave up anyway.”

“Good. It was better when he didn’t pretend to care.” I scoffed.

“Who’s Paul?” Angie asked.

“An ass.” I muttered.

“Oh.” Angie said knowing she stepped in forbidden territory.

Jared stopped the car.

“Where are we?” Sean asked as he noticed the trees.

“Don’t ask questions and follow us.” I said getting out of the car.

Angie complained as we walked on the road that lead to the cliffs. I’m sure you already had it figured it out. It’s not that hard to get. Jared bumped his hip with mine. He leaned into my ear.

“You’re going to scare them to death.”

I turned to him. He smiled.

“I know.” I smiled evilly. We finally reached the cliffs. “This is where we have our bonfires, well sometimes we have them down over there by the beach.”

“Your idea of fun is bonfires?” Sean asked clearly not impressed.

“Yes.” I said.

Jared was the one closest to the edge of the cliff.

“Oh, and this.” I said and pushed Jared over the edge.

Angie screamed and reached out her hand as if to stop him but by the time she got to the edge of the cliff Jared was already in the water.

“Are you insane?” Angie shrieked.

“Maybe.”

I laughed manically and removed my shirt. Sean glared at me. I looked over the water and saw Jared already swimming to the shore. Angie looked at Jared as well and then back to me.

“You are insane.” Angie said.

“This is what we do for fun.” I said taking a few steps back and then ran and jumped when I got to the edge. I did a few flips in the air and went in head first. The water was cold and it was just right. I went up to the surface and saw the tiny specs of Angie and Sean. “Come on down!”

“You have a death wish!” Angie yelled but she screamed when Sean jumped off. I saw as he landed a few feet away from me.

He swam up to the surface. His blonde hair stuck to the side of his face. He smiled.

“That was insanely awesome.” He laughed.

“Ahhh!!!” I heard and I saw as Angie was coming down. She would land right on top of me if I hadn’t move. I swam away and just in time because she landed where I had been. I saw as her top came to the surface first.

“Oh, Lord.” Sean said and swam away.

I started laughing. I laughed and when Angie came up to the surface she had no idea what had happened. I took the top piece and waved it to her face. Her face turned extremely red and snatched it away from me.

“That is why…” I laughed. “we use sports bras.”

I swam to the shore and by then I was just chuckling. Jared shook his head in disapproval. Okay, maybe I had been harsh.

Angie covered herself and started to walk away. I saw the tears.

“Nice one.” Sean snapped. “Great way to make first impression.” Sean went after his sister.

I crossed my arms and turned to Jared. He was still disappointed.

“You can not be on their side.”

“It’s not their fault their father cheated on their mother.”

“It’s not my fault their father knocked my mother up.” I snapped.

“Still, Erin, you know better than that.” Jared said.

“No I don’t. You should know that by now. I act out of anger.”

Jared didn’t say anything but his eyes told me everything. I wouldn’t back down.

I chewed on my bottom lip and dropped my hands on my thighs in defeat. I raised them.

“All right, I’ll go apologize.” I backed down. Damn it.

I followed to where Sean and Angie had gone. I saw as Sean was saying something to his sister. They hadn’t spotted me so I was only watched as Sean smiled sweetly at her and Angie smiled too and they hugged. Something inside of me tugged. I think it was guilt.

I was getting bombarded with feelings from left to right. I sucked in a deep breath and walked to them. Sean and Angie looked up as they heard my steps. Sean glared at me.

“This is hard for me… but I apologize. I didn’t expect you to jump, Angie.”

Angie sniffled. “I didn’t either.”

“That was good for your first time.” I lied.

“You don’t have to lie.” She scoffed.

I raised my hands again. “Sorry, just… trying to be… uh… nice.”

“We know you don’t like us and the feeling is mutual.” Angie said with a bitter tone.

I squared my shoulders. I just walked over here and apologized to her and gave her a goddamn compliment and she threw it back to my face.

“You have ruined our perfect family by existing, so don’t you pretend to like us because we won’t pretend either.” Angie said.

I was not about to get talked like that by a fifteen year old girl and much less a spoiled brat like her.

“Get this through your pretty little blonde head.” I spat venomously. “If you so much as make this difficult for me I will make sure your stay here is the worst of your life.”

“You being born is already the worst that has happened to me.” She grinned as if those words hurt me.

They did nothing to me because she meant nothing to me.

“Are you threaten by me? Are you afraid I’ll take away your sweet daddy from you?” I said innocently.

I saw the truth flash through her eyes. She was scared I was going to steal Landon away from her and something else.

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Sean said and I turned to him, “you wouldn’t be able to win him with your attitude.”

“Is that a challenge?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Image

Image