Status: slow writer and chapters are not pre-written

Inheritance

Sarah

I turned to see an extraordinary mansion . A driveway of crushed seashells led through a mini rainforest, with a rainbow of flowers spread out everywhere. The trees came in a thousand varieties but they were all beautiful. Right now they all seemed to be flowering. Just the front lawn took my breath away. Then we came to the house. It was painted an understated modern white. The sun glinted off the glass walls that were there for most of the walls. I walked up to the simple yet elegant front door and knocked. It was almost immediately opened by a Polynesian woman in a maid outfit. She looked at me suspiciously. And I took a step back away from her intimidating 5ft frame. I felt James come up behind me. Her face immediately softened into a caring smile.

“Aloha makuahine” said James enthusiastically as he came forward and gave her a hug.

“Aloha Keiki, how was your trip? Is this the girl…mmm…Ankita?” she asked gesturing towards me

“The trip was fine, and yes. Ankita, meet Mahina. Makuahine, meet Ankita” introduced James. Her previous malice disappeared as she realized who I was.

“It’s great to meet you.” I said reaching out my hand to shake hers. She totally disregarded it and pulled me into a hug. “Aloha, welcome to Hawaii.”

“Mahalo” I replied

“What are we still doing standing out here? Come in, come in” she said as she ushered us in. “Ankita, your bags are in your room. Follow me, I’ll take you” She said, walking away at a brisk pace that didn’t reflect her age.

We climbed up some stairs and walked through some hallways. The house had an open feel; walls were rare unless they were needed for privacy or support. Every wall facing outward had a window and showed of the beautiful views. The first floor had seemed like it was for display but as I came to the second floor the theme was much homier. The furniture looked comfortable yet fashionable and it was all a modern styling. There were electronics scattered everywhere in an organized fashion. We came up to the third floor. This floor had a lot more walls and doors. It was like a giant maze. After a few twists and turns we came to a door that looked similar to the rest.

“This is your room darling. Why don’t you pick out some nice clothes for your welcoming party? You have some time though so go ahead and relax. I know you’re tired after your flight” If you need anything just call me over the intercom” she said gesturing towards a little black box by the door and walking away. I pushed open the door eagerly into a breathtaking bedroom. My parents’ paintings hung on the wall and seemed to fit perfectly. On the fourth wall there was a giant window that opened out to a balcony overlooking the water. I instantly was attracted to it. I stood there for a few moments just letting everything go. Letting it fall away as I listened to the music of waves falling against a sandy shore. It had been a while since I was this relaxed. I scanned the white sand beach, not sure what I was looking for. My eyes fell onto a girl about thirty yards down the way.

“Hey!” I yelled without realizing what I was saying. Her blonde hair flew as she turned around and met my eyes.

I watched as a little blonde girl in a pink dress by herself on a plastic swing. She gradually slowed to a stop. She seemed to look at me and a carefree smile spread across her face.

“Sarah, princess, I need to talk to you.” said a deep voice somewhere behind me. I turned to see a handsome middle aged blonde man with the little girl’s ice blue eyes. He walked forward and passed right through me. It was disconcerting but I didn’t feel much. I wasn’t freaking out as much as the first two times this happened, but that definitely made me jump. The man continued walking, put down his suitcase then picked up Sarah. “My darling baby, I’m so so sorry.” He whispered to her barely loud enough for me to hear.

“Why do you have your suitcase Daddy?” she asked confused “Last time was the last time, right? You’re not going away anymore.” She insisted stubbornly.

“Honey, I’m afraid that that wasn’t the last time. I have to go to a meeting in Taiwan, but I promise, this one will be the last trip” He said softly.

“No Daddy, that’s what you said last time, and the time before. You aren’t leaving me this time. Please Daddy, please stay. I promise I’ll be a good girl, just please, don’t go.” she begged, a tear leaking from her eye.

“Sarah, don’t cry baby. I’ll be back before you even know I was gone, and I’ll bring you back a pretty new dress. You’ll like that won’t you.” He said trying to placate her. She continued to sob into her father’s shoulder. I distantly heard a car horn going off. He set her down on the grass and walked away without looking back. Sarah just sat there drowning in her tears.


I snapped back into my body. The blonde girl on the beach was staring at me with a confused expression.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading
Makauhine means mother
Keiki means child
Aloha means hello/goodbye
I don't think I used anything else.
Thanks again for reading
:) please comment ♥♥