Status: hiatus

A Dragon's True Nature

Kanashii's Mother

*That's probably for the best.* Darigan says with a hint of approval.

*I suppose.* Kanashii says. Silence follows for the next couple hours until Darigan suddenly feels a shot of rage and sorrow coming from Kanashii.

*What's wrong?* Darigan demands, danger and worry embedded in his voice.

*It can't be! It's not possible!* Kanashii shouts, disbelief in her voice.

*What is it, Kanashii?* Darigan demands, surging to his feet. Long silence follows until Darigan roars, and takes off in the direction Kanashii is in. He gets to the city, and roars again. Everyone looks up at him and gasp. He scans the area until he sees Kanashii sitting on the ground with her hands covering her face. She looks up at him and gets to her feet.

"You shouldn't have come." Kanashii whispers, shaking her head.

*I heard your distress and had to come.* Darigan says as he lands on the ground. Kanashii walks up to him, and places her hand on the red scale in the center of his forehead.

"I'm fine. It's just tha-"

"What is wrong, daughter?" A famale voice cuts Kanashii off. Darigan looks over Kanashii's shoulder, and growls. The female elf steps back a few paces.

"It's all right. He won't hurt you." Kanashii says in a light voice as she turns to the elven woman. "Mother, this is my dragon, Darigan." Kanashii says, laying a hand on Darigan's neck. She feels the surprise and interest flood over the top of Darigan's emotions. "And Darigan, this is my mother, Ashina." Kanashii says, motioning with her hand that's not on Darigan's side toward the elven woman.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Darigan Skulbaka." Ashina says, bowing at her waist. Darigan bow his head, being careful not to push Kanashii's hand aside.

*And you as well, Svit-Kona Ashina.* Darigan says in an equally formal voice before turning to look at Kanashii. *You, on the other hand, left without waiting for me to return.* Darigan says, shaking his head. Kanashii sighs, and looks at all the elves that are starting to gather around the two of them. Ashina catches what Kanashii is looking at and clears her throat.

"All right, that's enough staring. You may all go on your way now." Ashina says, motioning for everyone to leave. Everyone disperses. Kanashii turns her attention back to her mother.

"Is it possible that we may seek shelter within your halls for a few night?" Kanashii asks hesitantly.

"You do not have to ask! You are my daughter, and as such, you may stay as long and as often as you wish." Ashina says with a smile. Kanashii bows in the traditional elven way, and walks back to Darigan.

"Did you bring the saddle with you? I believe that is all I left in the clearing." Kanashii asks, focusing all her attention on Darigan.

*I did indeed.* Darigan says as he lifts a clawed foot, and drops the mighty saddle. Ashina smiles, and walks up to the saddle, at which time, she begins to examine it.
♠ ♠ ♠
...