Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Thirty-Five

The long walk to the council room consisted of so many confusing hallways and staircases that I knew without a doubt that I would never be able to find my way back to our room. At first, I tried to memorize the turns, but I soon lost track when I was distracted by Mehta.

“Why did you do that?” she whispered.

“Do what?” I answered shortly, still trying to pay attention and repeat the turns in my head. Left, straight, right, down, right again, straight, left, down, right-

“You could have killed that man,” she said quietly. “There was no need to react like that. I already know people here don’t like me.” I sighed and gave up memorizing.

“I wouldn’t have killed him. I was just… I’m not used to people insulting Kyshia. Or it’s nobility. And on top of that, I’ve only had two hours of sleep!” Mehta nodded in understanding, but I could tell she didn’t agree with my rash actions. I thought we were done talking, but a minute later she looked back at me quizzically.

“What now?” I asked. She indicated the man leading us, then furrowed her brow in a questioning look. I shrugged in response. How was I supposed to know if we could trust him? So far, he appeared to be helping us.

We finally seemed to be getting closer to our destination. We had gone through endless hallways and down four- or was it five? - staircases. The halls were now starting to change from the plainness and scarce décor of the upper halls to a more ornamental appearance, indicating that the more important rooms were getting nearer. Large, dignified portraits and ancient battle scenes were depicted on the wall hangings, and every fifteen paces there were chandeliers of crystal and emerald hanging from the ceiling.

We came to a stop before two vast wooden doors with a soldier positioned on each side. Our guide reached for the door on the right and pushed in open. Just inside the room, I saw Ekohl pacing to the left of the huge square table, Jegan with his head from his hands, and the king rubbing his brow in apparent frustration. As soon as the door was pushed all the way open, they stopped what they were doing and rushed toward us.

“Siya! Mehta!” Ekohl exclaimed. “Where have you been?” He looked as if he was going to embrace us, but he stopped short and quickly glanced at the prince and king.

“We couldn’t open the… other door. “ Mehta looked at the man, wondering if he was supposed to know about the secret door.

“It’s alright,” Jegan said quietly as the doors to the hall swung shut, “Valahn knows about the passages.”

“Oh. Well, we decided to take the main hallways because we couldn’t open the door to the passage. We ran into Valahn in the hall and he led us here.” I noticed she didn’t mention Chelan.