Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Thirty-Six

The topic of the wedding was brought up before we even sat down. Due to the recent attacks, the king had decided that the nuptials must commence as soon as possible. Servants were summoned, and soon plans were set in motion to have the wedding tomorrow afternoon.

“Now,” the king began after the last messenger had been disposed of, “There is still the matter of the princess’s safety.” Jegan, Valahn, and Ekohl all nodded their agreement to this.

“I believe it would be best to have the General guard the main door and the Captain guard the other,” Valahn stated. Silence fell over the room as he was met with four very confused looks.

“What are you talking about, Valahn?”

“I know plenty about the Kyshian army,” Valahn insisted. “Those badges signify a soldier’s rank.”

“That’s true,” Ekohl verified, “But… it’s complicated.”

“How so?” Jegan inquired. “You’ve both been wearing those badges since I met up with you in Alvez.”

“The former General gave me this badge shortly after the attack at the Wall,” Ekohl explained. “And that badge is my old one,” he said pointing toward me.

“What about the blades?” Valahn questioned. I shifted nervously, and I could feel the sheaths where they were strapped to my calves. This wouldn’t be easy to explain.

“What blades?” the king demanded. I slowly lifted my hem, revealing one of the two knives, and slowly I pulled it out and handed it to the king.

“You recovered those from one of the wagons in Frayihn, didn’t you?” Jegan asked.

“Yes, but she’s not a soldier,” Ekohl insisted. “She’s-“

“She’s my personal guard.” I looked quickly to Mehta, as did everyone else. “It’s more convenient this way, and no one would suspect her.” I looked at the others’ faces, and all three Lequinians looked convinced, though still slightly confused. I couldn’t quite read Ekohl’s, but it looked almost like he was frustrated.

“Interesting.” The king rubbed his gray chin in a contemplative manner. “Very well,” he continued, handing back my blade, “You will guard the princess from inside the room. Valahn, you will take the main hall entrance, and, Ekohl, you have the passage door.” We all nodded and king took leave to his quarters.

By now, the time was nearing midnight. I wanted nothing more than to sleep, but the king had other plans for us. Valahn left to secure loyal men to guard the princess’s room and the surrounding halls, and Jegan decided to accompany us to Mehta’s room before leaving us to guard her room all night. Unfortunately, as soon as he left and the three of us were finally alone, the questions Ekohl wanted answers to could finally be asked.