Sequel: The Game
Status: complete, but revisions are being made

The Pauper Princess

Chapter Thirty-Nine

I fell asleep the moment I crawled under the plush covers and my head hit the soft feather pillow. My sleep was so deep that I can’t even recall dreaming, yet it seems like only minutes later that Mehta tries to wake me.

“Siya,” she whispers, gently shaking my shoulder. “You have to get up now.”

“Are you sure she’s still alive?” I hear Ekohl ask from somewhere across the room. “She’s hardly moved all night.” Mehta sighs.

“She’s still breathing,” she states dryly. She shakes my shoulder again, and I pretend not to notice. “Maybe we should just let her sleep,” Mehta suggests.

“We can’t. The ceremony is in less than two hours.” I hear him walking closer as he says this. “Come on, Siya,” he says with exasperation, taking Mehta’s place in trying to shake me awake. I groan and roll away, but it’s too late to return to sleep now. I finally open my eyes and see Mehta and Ekohl staring at me.

“I’m awake,” I yawn. I stretch my back and kick the covers away before standing up. I shiver as my bare feet touch the cold stone floor and quickly step to one of the area rugs.

“Finally,” Mehta says with a smile. I scowl at her halfheartedly and walk to the balcony. A cool breeze is blowing and it helps me dispel the grasp of drowsiness. Looking down, I see that the courtyard has been entirely transformed. Lavender calla lilies and spiraling ivy caress every pillar, and delicate white roses in great crystal vases adorn each step leading up to the palace. The sight is stunning. It must have taken the entire morning to put together.

“Amazing, isn’t it?” Mehta asks softly. She stands beside me and passes me a warm cup of herbal tea. “I never imagined anything so beautiful.” I wrap my arm around her waist and she leans her head on my shoulder.

“You deserve it.”

“No,” she said standing to face me. “This is all supposed to be for you.” I calmly take a sip of the tea and set it on the railing.

“I don’t want this, Mehta.” I sigh and finger the top of my cup. “I don’t want to live in a palace. I don’t want servants or expensive clothes. I don’t want to marry a prince and become a queen some day. I just want a simple life.”

“What if this life doesn’t suit me either?”

“It does,” I say with a smile. “You handle yourself gracefully, you control your temper, and you care about history and politics and such. As for me… Well, I don’t think these palace walls could restrain me any more than my father’s.” Mehta nods slowly in agreement.

“Now,” I continue more cheerfully, “Enough of this, you have a wedding to prepare for!” Mehta beams. I guide her back into the room. Ekohl is nowhere to be seen, so we head straight for the bath. Someone has already supplied hot water, and the steam smells strongly of soaps and salts. After a few minutes of soaking, we wash our hair and reluctantly exit the bath.