Status: Complete.

Seasons Change

VIII

(Winter.)

I couldn’t even believe it. My baby had cancer. And I couldn’t believe that there was nothing to do about it.

Seeing him hooked up to all those machines, tubes sticking out everywhere, it tore me inside out.

“I’m very sorry” the doctor started, (mental note: when someone says that, it’s NEVER good news.) “But even if we started treatment today, it’ll only prolong his life by a year or so. The cancer has spread so fast. He could pass by the end of this year.”

“So you’re saying that our son only has a few months to live? That is without chemo. He’s only 10!” Alex shouted.

“I am very sorry.”

This wasn’t right. Daily deserved to live.

“How are we gonna tell him Alex?” I asked.

I could tell Alex was just as scared as me.

“We’ll just tell him. Just say it.” he nodded. He was totally unconvinced.

“Yea. Let’s go.”

***

For some reason Daily already knew everything. I swear he was a mind reader.

“No. I don’t want chemo. I heard somewhere that chemo hurts. What’s the point if it’ll only work for a year or so. No I don’t want it.”

The kid was too smart for his own good.

“Daily you’re only ten. You surly don’t want to die.” Alex reasoned.

“No but I don’t want to be in pain. I’d like to just deal with it.”

I started to cry and ran from the room.

The bathroom in a hospital is a lovely place to be when you don’t want to be around people.

***

“Winter. We have to let him do what he wants. We can’t force him into chemo.” Alex reasoned.

“No. I know that. I just don’t want to lose him.”

“I understand. And Neither do I.”

“Well. Then we have to make these next few months as awesome as possible.”