False Pretense

"I like this ball."

"Ah, you like it now. Just wait. It's wicked fast, and damn near impossible to see."

"What do I do with it?"

"You catch it. Before the other team's seeker. Catch this, and the game's over. You catch this, Potter, and we win"


I remember stilling at that conversation, six years ago(when no one seems to notice you, you can easily hide where no one can find you). I also remember thinking, so Potter was to be the newest Gryffindor seeker. I remember watching the matches that year, he was good. Then third year, third year I was approached by my own house's team captain and asked to be the reserve seeker for our team(apparently those mini matches over summer holidays made an impact on Zabini and Malfoy).

Four years on and I have only played a handful of matches. Draco Malfoy was our team's Seeker and he was fairly decent. Tomorrow though, tomorrow was the first match I'll ever play that means something. Malfoy broke his leg somehow and the school nurse said he wasn't permitted to play. He's barking mad, literally and figuratively. The match tomorrow, it's the one that'll determine if it's us or Ravenclaw that'll go against Gryffindor for the House Cup.

I can't just forfeit our chance, even with Malfoy breathing down my neck for perfection. So I'm up against Potter. Oh joyous day.

-x-

entry for: Harry Potter Quote Contest by Falling.Down.
quote to be used was between Oliver Wood and Harry Potter and is italicized above.
word count: 6,135
disclaimer: JKR owns all recognized characters, Calen (kay-len) Jameson is my own creation. [Calen is a boy and there are mentions of slashif that offends then don't read (and if that disqualifies me, so be it)]
  1. Justify.
    wc: 2,428
  2. Distinguish.
    wc:3,707