Sequel: Here Comes the Sun
Status: Complete. Sequel titled "Here Comes The Sun."

Playing With Fire

Three Words

After Nick and I discovered how much Layla enjoyed Nick's voice, we couldn't stop doing whatever we could to make her move again. He set a pillow beside me and laid on it so that his face was right beside my stomach. It made me smile to see how completely marveled he was over Layla. It brought him such joy - he looked at my stomach with sincere curiosity and love.

"Layla, you have a beautiful mother," he told her. I blushed beet red. "I can't wait for you to see her." He rubbed his hand gently over my stomach with care. Layla continued to kick at the sound of his soft voice.

"Keep talking, Nick," I said, setting my hand on his head and playing with his curls. "She likes it."

He smiled. "Layla, your mom's so bossy."

"Hey!" I laughed, hitting him playfully. "Don't tell my daughter lies."

"I'm kidding, Layla," he said with a smirk. "She's amazing."

I smiled and continued to twirl his curls around my finger. He was silent for a while. I saw him close his eyes. He looked so peaceful. Then, I heard him start to hum. It was low at first - a familiar tune. It reminded me of my childhood, back when everything was easy. No worries, no stress; just me and Nick playing around, being kids. He started to sing to Layla:

"You and I must make a pact, we must bring salvation back
Where there is love, I'll be there

I'll reach out my hand to you, I'll have faith in all you do
Just call my name and Ill be there

And oh - I'll be there to comfort you,
Build my world of dreams around you, I'm so glad that I found you
Ill be there with a love thats strong
I'll be your strength, I'll keep holding on.

Let me fill your heart with joy and laughter
Togetherness, well thats all I'm after
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be there to protect you, with an unselfish love I respect you
Just call my name and I'll be there"


By the time Nick stopped singing, tears were building up in my eyes.

"Your voice is beautiful, Nick," I told him. It had changed. Five months ago, his singing voice was higher and less trained. It had transformed into a soulful, astounding sound.

He smiled, blushing. Layla began to kick uncontrollabley. "Ow," I said, sitting up.

"What?" he said, worried.

"Nothing, you just got Layla excited, that's all," I smiled and reached to touch my stomach.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said with sad eyes. "Layla, don't hurt mommy, okay?" he said sternly. I smiled.

Nick and I stayed in that position for a while - I was sitting up with my head against his chest. He had his cheek against my head and a hand on my stomach. He didn't want to leave Layla, even for a second. He adored feeling her move.

"Nick?" I asked him.

"Mmm?"

"Let's dance," I said.

He chuckled. "What?"

"Let's dance," I repeated.

He took a minute to consider it. He sighed. "Okay!" he said with a smile. He stood up, turned off the DVD, and turned on the stereo. "What do you want to dance to?"

"Doesn't matter to me."

"'Kay," he said, pulling out a CD and placing it swiftly into the player. "Until The End of Time" by Justin Timberlake came on and I smiled. Nick put on a straight face and bowed to me, extending his arm out so I could take his hand. I laughed.

"Woke up this morning
Heard the TV sayin' something
'Bout disaster in the world and
It made me wonder where I'm going
There's so much darkness in the world
But I see beauty left in you girl
And what you give me makes me know
That I'll be alright"


Nick wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. I rested my head on his shoulder and we moved in sync. He began to sing along softly in my ear:

'Cause if your love was all I had
In this life
Well that would be enough
Until the end of time
So rest your weary heart
And relax your mind
Cause I'm gonna love you girl
Until the end of time"


It was so strange - his words were like magic. Even though he was singing along with Justin's voice, all I heard was him, telling me to relax...and I did. I became completely at ease and gave myself up to his singing. His soft voice was right in my ear, echoing in my mind and leaving a permanent mark on my heart.

"Good, you're not tense anymore," he said, pulling me even closer and taking a deep breath. I sang the next verse along with him, although I knew my voice was nothing compared to his.

"You've got me singing
Oh whoa, yeah
Oh whoa, yeah
Everybody sing
Oh whoa, yeah
Everybody singing
Oh whoa yeah"


He chuckled against me. "You're voice is beautiful too, Kara," he said, "Always has been."

"Now if you're ever wondering
About the way I'm feeling
Well baby girl there ain't no question
Just to be around you is a blessing
Sick and tired of trying to save the world
I just want to spend my time with you girl
And what you give me
Makes me know that we'll be alright."


He slowly loosened his grip on me but kept his arms around my waist, and looked into my eyes as he sang the last two lines. His eyes were searching me, yearning me to let him inside. They were chocolate brown and unmistakabley beautiful. I had to bite my lip.

He brought his hand up to my jaw, rubbing my cheek with his thumb gently. He touched me with hesitation, like he was afraid he would break me. His hand was shaking.

"It's okay," I whispered, putting my free hand on top of his to ease him. He licked his lips and his eyebrows creased.

"Kara," he whispered anxiously.

"What, Nick?" I answered, touching his face tenderly.

He inched closer and closer to me hesitantly. He was trying so hard - almost on the verge of tears. He didn't want to hurt me. He was scared. I could feel his body begin to tremble.

He stopped a centimeter away from my face.

"I love you," he whispered. He pressed his lips to mine softly, like they weren't even touching, and I felt an electric spark run through my veins. My heart skipped a beat. His breathing quickened and I ran my fingers through his hair. "I love you," he repeated against my lips, tightening his grip on me and deepening the kiss. He was crying.

We broke apart, foreheads touching, hearts accelerating. I moved a strand of hair from his face and looked into his watery eyes. I wiped away his tears and kissed the spot.

"I love you, too, Nick," I whispered. "I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
I adore this chapter :D
They're finally together!
And you guys are awesome. All these comments are really making me smile.
Please keep them coming!

The songs I used are "I'll Be There" by the Jackson Five and "Until The End of Time" by Justin Timberlake. I love 'em both.

Let me know what you think :)