Hello My Name Is...

Dance With Me?

SATURDAY AT DAVEY'S HOUSE....

"She seems like a nice girl, are you going to this dance with her?" Davey's mother asked.

Davey sat in front of the TV in the living room, trying to tune out his mother. He had thought about asking Alice out to the dance, but felt that it would only attract too much unwanted attention. He knew the dance had been organized mainly because of them, and didn't want to be patronized for it.

"I'm not gonna go mom, there's no reason to," Davey said as he flicked through channels.

"Why not? I'm sure all of your friends are going," his mother said as she walked into the kitchen area to get something.

"Actually, they're not. They've never indulged in school functions, and most likely will not this time either. Our kind don't do school dances."

Davey's mother walked back into the room, "Just because they are anti-social, doesn't mean you have to be you know. You have a chance to go and have a wonderful time with a girl just as wonderful. Why not?"

Davey sighed, "Cause, we'd be nothing more than a sympathetic spectacle for the masses. I hate sympathy, and I hate giving sympathy."

His mother stopped moving around and took a seat next to him. She casually reached over and brushed a few strands of his hair out of his face, prompting him to move away from her hand and frown. His mother ignored this and gave his back a gentle rub.

"You gave her a chance and sympathy."

Davey shot his mother narrow eyed stare, "That's different!"

His mother leaned back in her seat, "I don't see how it is. She gave you a chance too didn't she? Why not give this dance the same time and respect you two gave each other?"

"Ugh...mom!" Davey groaned, slumping down his seat, "It'd be too weird! People already think we are dating!"

"Well, aren't you?" his mother asked plainly.

"No! We're not! That'd be too weird!" Davey exclaimed.

"I don't see how it would be," his mother said, getting out of her seat to continue her chores around the house, "You two make a great couple, and you make each other happy."

"What are you talking about mom?!" Davey asked, giving her a confused look.

"Don't play dumb David. I know you better than you know yourself. I know that you have had a lot of issues and drama in the last couple of years, but look at you now. You've come a long way since then, and you're still going strong. I think she's one of the reasons why, and I can guarantee you're one of the reasons why she's still floating," his mother said, looking down at him sitting on the couch.

"Both of you deserve some happiness, and when I see or hear of you two when you're together, that is all that seems to happen. You guys need to set your social boundaries aside, and for once, see each other as people and not walking labels. Do you love her David?"

Davey was silent, unsure of how to answer his mother. He wasn't sure of his true feelings for Alice. But everything that his mother had said up to this point was true. He only shrugged, trying to play it off as no consequence to him.

"Oh come on Davey, you're the 'emo' type right? You really think you can hide your emotions well? I mean, aren't your kind supposed to be all open and moany with drama?!" his mother said to him as she walked up and snatched the remote from his hands.

"What?! That is not true! We aren't all like that! Some of us have real issues and feelings, and we aren't emotionally or mentally unstable! That's a horrible stereotype! I'm nothing like that, at least not anymore!" Davey protested, standing up and facing his mother.

She only looked at him calmly, a faint smile curling at her lips, "So why don't you shatter the mold and stereotype of Alice than? I'm sure she sees you in a perfect light, just as much as you do."

Davey turned away to leave the room, "I can't believe this mom! All of this over a stupid dance!"

His mother stopped him with a quick hand to his arm, holding him back. He tried to free himself, but she wouldn't let go until he was staring her in the eyes.

"It's more than a dance David! It is a way for all of you to start healing. It's a way to say that you lived, you survived and ordeal that should never have happened. It's a special day, it's a day that says, 'My son or daughter could have died, and they didn't'. Two other kids were killed, for being a label that didn't suit another, and it was wrong, and it was horrible."

Her voice was stern, but her eyes wavered and welled up with tears as she spoke. David stood there, uncertain if he should say anything. She continued though.

"You think I didn't find bloody clothes and rags in your room? Or in the garbage cans outside? You think I never noticed the razors missing from your father's medicine cabinet? I'm a mother, I'm supposed to know these things, and I know what you had been doing to yourself. I did it when I was your age, because I didn't know any other way to let out that which was killing me inside. Your father helped me, he stopped judging me one day in college, and we've been together ever since."

Davey took a seat, his legs suddenly feeling heavy and weak. He had never known.

"I know you have scars, and I wanted so badly to confront you about it. But I knew I'd only make things worse, it was something you had to sort out and fix on your own. No shrink or concerned parent could fix you. But she did, that Alice. Ever since you two started being around each other, you haven't cut yourself have you?" his mother asked, taking a seat next to him and pointing at his arm.

Davey touched his scarred arm, shaking his head. His mother nodded and continued.

"She's good for you David. You may not realize it, or you're too afraid to realize it, but she's in love with you. You can easily tell. Why can't you for once, do something for yourself that doesn't involve a razor and bloodshed to ease that aching in your heart?"

Davey turned away, "I just..can't! Cause that's what caused all of this to happen! The shooting, the deaths, all of it! If only I hadn't opened my big mouth that one day!"

Davey buried his face in his hands, he bent over and began to sob in his lap. He hadn't cried since the shooting. He refused to let it get to him. His mother rubbed his back gently, comforting him.

"You're wrong my son. That had nothing to do with the reasoning of that murderous boy. You did nothing wrong, you didn't make his decision for him, give him a gun, and a cold heart. Society did that for him. Because of his upbringing, mentality, and ignorance, did he make that decision. You were just one of the pieces of this mixed up puzzle, you and Alice, and the others. And I'm certain, she's feeling just as mixed up as you are right now. You two need each other, more than you want to admit."

Davey nodded slightly, lifting his face up and leaning into his mothers shoulder. She stroked his hair and hugged him.

"It'll be okay David, you'll see. Trust in your heart and feelings, and not so much on others thoughts and opinions. You've been at war with yourself and those around you for so long, you've forgotten how to heal and forgive."

Davey sat up, wiping his face with his sleeve and rose to his feet.

"I will never forgive him. Ever."

His mother nodded, "That is up to you. But right now, forgive yourself for a change."

The phone suddenly rang. No one moved at first, but Davey's mother got to her feet and answered it.

"Hello? Why yes, he's here right now. Hold on one sec, Davey?" his mother called out to him.

He walked over to the phone, "Who is it?"

She shook her head and shrugged, handing him the phone.

"Hello?"

"Davey, hey! It's me, Alice."

Davey smiled, "Hi, how are you?"

"I'm doing good, how are you?"

Davey shrugged, "Mm..fine I guess. Whatsup?"

There was a slight pause on the other line, as if Alice was gathering her thoughts.

"Not much, umm...Davey..?" she said, her voice quiet.

"Yeah?"

"Umm...I know you don't like dances and all. And I won't force you to go, but I was wondering if..."

"I'd be delighted to go with you Alice."

Davey heard her gasp, followed by a joyful laugh. He smiled, happy to hear her happy.
She laughed and gasped for a few moments, not completely sure if she had heard it right.

"So, you'll go with me?" she asked finally.

"Yeah, it'll be fun," he said casually.

"Oh..thank you so much Davey! Cause I really wanted to go, and I knew you didn't like school functions and....and...um...you wanna hang out today?"

Davey continued to smile, "Sure, it's a date."