The Sunrise of My Heart

Chapter Sixty-five: Department of What The Hell Is That?

We made our way through the Forbidden Forest, looking for Harry and Hermione. I wondered what we were going to do about Umbridge if they hadn't found a way to ditch her already. Luckily, when we saw them, they were alone.
"So," said Ron to Harry, "had any ideas?"
"How did you get away?" Harry asked, sounding amazed.
"Couple of stunners, a Disarming Charm, Neville brought off a really nice Impediment Jinx," Ron answered happily. "Ginny and Riley both got Malfoy. I think Riley broke his nose--"
I grinned. "Second time doing it, too."
"And Ginny hit him with a superb Bat-Bogey Hex. His whole face was covered in flapping things. Anyway, we saw you heading into the forest out of the window and followed. What've you done with Umbridge?"
"She got carried away," Harry answered. "By a herd of centaurs."
"Wicked," I said, smiling.
"And they left you behind?" Ginny asked in surprise.
"No, they got chased off by Grawp," Harry answered.
"Who's Grawp?" Luna asked. I was wondering the same thing.
"Hagrid's little brother," Ron said. "Anyway, never mind that now. Harry, what did you find out in the fire? Has You-Know-Who got Sirius or--?"
"Yes," Harry answered, making my heart race with adrenaline and fear, "and I'm sure Sirius is still alive, but I can't see how we're going to get there to help him."
"Well, we'll have to fly, won't we?" Luna said in an almost matter-of-fact tone.
"Okay, first of all, 'we' aren't doing anything if you're including yourself in that, and second of all, Ron's the only one with a broomstick that isn't being guarded by a security troll, so--"
"I've got a broom!" said Ginny.
"And I can steal Malfoy's," I added.
"Yeah, but you're not coming," Ron said to Ginny.
"Excuse me, but I care what happens to Sirius as much as you do!" she said, setting her jaw and narrowing her eyes.
"You're too--" Harry started, which was a mistake.
"I'm three years older than you were when you fought You-Know-Who over the Sorcerer's Stone," she said fiercely, "and it's because of me Malfoy's stuck back in Umbridge's office with giant flying bogeys attacking him--"
"Yeah but--"
"We were all in the D.A. together," Neville said quietly. "It was all supposed to be about fighting You-Know-Who, wasn't it? And this is the first chance we've had to do something real. Or was that all just a game or something?"
"No, of course it wasn't," Harry said, sounding impatient.
"Then we should come too," Neville said. "We want to help."
"That's right," Luna said, smiling happily.
"Harry, you can try and stop them, but you know I'm going no matter what," I said softly.
He looked at me and nodded. "I know. You, I don't mind," he answered softly so the others wouldn't hear him and start bickering at him again.
I smiled and nodded. A few minutes passed while everyone argued over how we would get there, who all was going, who would leave when, etc, etc. Finally, it was settled. We were all going, together, and we would ride thestrals to get there. After helping those who couldn't see them get on their steeds, we all mounted and took off, following Harry's lead thestral to the Ministry.
The creatures moved so swiftly, it wasn't even like flying. It was like shooting at warped speed through the air. Okay, maybe that was a exaggeration, but the things really were incredibly fast.
After an indeterminable amount of time, we had arrived at the visitor's entrance at the Ministry of Magic. It was rather uncomfortable to fit seven people inside the small telephone box, but we managed it with some awkward angles and painfully close pressed bodies. The telephone box moved down, and as soon as the door opened, we burst out and followed Harry.
I looked around, surprised to see how deserted the place was. We were the only ones around. Surely there should have been at least a few late-night workers? Harry, too, seemed to be thinking the same thing, if his clouded expression as he looked around was any indication.
The door leading to the Department of Mysteries swung open for us, and we emerged into a dark, circular room. Everything was black, from floor to ceiling, and the walls had black doors set along them at intervals. Each door looked exactly the same as the last one. Before we could pick a door to go through, the walls started rotating. The floor stayed steady, but that honestly didn't help us very much.
Harry marched toward the door now facing him and opened it, but it was evidently not the room he was looking for. It was a large room with shimmering lights, a few desks, and am enormous tank in the very center of the room. Strange white objects were floating in the liquid. At first, I couldn't tell what they were, but then I realized it.
Hermione, too, had realized it, and she walked slowly to the tank, looking queasy and curious. "They're brains," she said softly.
We stood for a few more moments before leaving the room, going back to the circular one. Hermione marked the door with a large fiery X so we knew which door we had tried. The next room we tried was dimly lit and rectangular, and the center of it sunk in so it formed a great stone pit. In the center of the pit was a raised dais with with a stone archway in its center. There was a tattered black veil hanging from the archway, fluttering slightly as if in a gentle breeze.
Harry climbed down to the archway, staring intently at it. Voices seemed to be whispering from it, as if people were hiding somewhere near it. I frowned, knowing the room was empty. What was causing the voices? I yearned to go and look at the veil, but something told me not to. I stayed in the doorway, not trusting myself to go any further without giving in to the temptation to spend hours simply staring at that veil. The whispering seemed to be beckoning me closer, but I stayed where I was.
Finally, Harry turned away from the veil and we left the room, marking the door with an X like we had done to the previous door. We tried another door that wouldn't open and seemed to be holding something very dangerously hot in its room, and then we hit the right door.
"This is it!" Harry said excitedly. We had almost reached our destination; we would soon be able to save Sirius.
We rushed through the room, hardly stopping to admire everything that was in there. When we noticed a bell jar with a tiny egg inside it, though, we hesitated. As we watched, the egg floated to the top of the bell jar and hatched becoming a hummingbird that went from a hatchling to an adult as it rose, and then returned back to the tiny egg as it slowly fell. Harry urged us on, so we moved again. We reached the only other door in the room and all pulled our wands out. This was it. We were possibly in for the fight of our lives, but it would be worth it if we could save Sirius. Harry opened the door and we stepped in. It was a cathedral-sized room rows and rows of shelves. On the shelves were glowing orbs. We walked down the rows, looking for row ninety-seven. When we reached it, Harry hurried down to the other end, looking for Sirius. I took a deep, steadying breath, hoping that Sirius was fine. He was one of the most important people in my life. He had to be okay. Steeling my nerves for what I might see, I walked over to Harry's side. Nothing could have prepared me for the sight I actually saw when I looked around.