What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Wishful Thinking

“I didn’t know you’d be here,” Lucy blinked in surprise as she entered Walker’s living room. He lived on the second floor of the apartment complex, the first room outside the elevator. It wasn’t as spacious as Lucy’s, but it was more welcoming and furnished.

I was seated on his couch with a large steel bowl of popcorn on my lap. I was so insecure I dared not even help myself and I patiently waited for Lucy's arrival.

A large television was hanging against the wall, turned on the program FOX. Little photographs of him and Lucy were hung on the wall. A few unrecognizable people hung with large portraits dedicated to them near the hallway.

“Walker invited me,” I smiled at her. I pointed at my left cheek. “You… have some dirt under your eye.”

Lucy quickly wiped at her right cheek and cleared the small black patch that clung to her skin. I noticed that she was hiding something behind her back. I could barely make out the a small canvas bag.

Walker entered the room from the kitchen, a wooden case with the carving RISK nestled in his arms.

“Walker,” Lucy whispered as she flashed him a scolding glare.

I caught the silent exchange the two gave each other, and tried to figure out what they were saying to each other.

“We’ll be right back,” Walker raised his finger as he backed into the hall. Lucy followed, continuing to conceal whatever it was she was hiding.

I heard soft yelling on Lucy’s part as I stared at the television. They were offering a Papa John’s commercial, taunting the viewer with visions of cheese and bread. I heard Walker’s quiet murmur followed by Lucy’s silent screaming at him.

I assumed Lucy didn’t want me there. I understood, though I was a little hurt. I decided to leave quickly and save face before I was branded as a party pooper or the third wheel. I carefully placed the popcorn on the couch and started to gather my things.

“Wait, where’re you going?” Walker came up behind me, his face held confusion.

“Sorry to bother you,” I kept an unbiased face as I looked at him. “I’m thinking this is more yours and Lucy’s quality time. I’ll just head to Starbucks.”

“Wait, no—Lucy,” Walker called for her and turned to me, “This is a misunderstanding.”

“Hey,” Lucy came up, still holding her bag behind her back. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Just out,” I fidgeted and looked down. I knew when I was unwanted.

“Mary thinks we don’t want her here,” Walker explained.

“Walker, I—” I tried to let them off nicely, but Lucy interrupted me.

“I didn’t think you’d be here, and that's Walker's bad,” Lucy raised her hands in defense. “I was hoping that he and I would think up a good way to surprise you, but…” Lucy revealed a tan canvas bag and reached inside. “…Happy Birthday.”

She took out a necklace. It was braided beautifully in brown hemp and it netted a small green rock as a pendant.

“Wow,” I looked at her in shock as I gingerly held the necklace, “Thank you.”

“I was making it for the hell of it for a while now.” Lucy shrugged, looking away in embarrassment. “I finished it during my lunch break, and I was going to ask Walker his opinion on it tonight.”

I gave Lucy a hug, and held her as long and as tightly as I could.

“Too much physical contact,” Lucy choked, rasping small whispers.

“Go ahead, put it on,” Walker urged. “Let me go get my surprise for you.” Walker retreated down the hall.

“Come on, let’s grab our seats before Walker plants his greedy butt on the good cushion.” Lucy escaped my grip and led me back to the living room.

“I thought you hated me,” I shyly told her as we plopped down onto the plush sofa.

“No, why would I hate you. You didn’t do anything wrong.” Lucy snagged a handful of popcorn and popped them in her mouth. She spoke in-between chews. “You just caught me early in the morning without a trip to my local barista. Think of it as a warning.” She looked at me with a mischievous grin. “Morning and I don’t get along. So you may notice I’ll be cranky if I get woken up.”

“Say no more,” I smiled. “I’ll tip toe whenever I can.”

“Good,” Lucy stared at me. “You seem like a nice person. We just need to work on your passive attitude.”

I snorted.

And the both of us burst into laughter.

“I know I come off strong,” Lucy continued, “But you’ll start to get me the more we hang out. You find a job?”

“Yes, Ms. Landlord,” I brushed my tongue over my lips with my mouth closed to make sure I didn’t have any old food clinging to my pearly whites. “I’ve got a job at Burgess Incorporated starting tomorrow.” A sudden realization stabbed into my memory. “I just remembered I need to dress like a yuppie.” I looked at her. “How do personal assistants dress?”

Lucy wrinkled her nose. “Hell if I know. You should ask Walker. Back when he was little, his parents owned a company that was in league with Burgess.”

Surprise, surprise! My eyes widened in shock. “What happened?”

Lucy started fiddling with the cloth near her knee. “He doesn’t like talking about the details. I feel like shit for bringing it up.”

I quickly changed the subject, “So how about we set up the board,” I gestured to the Risk box that Walker had placed on an edge table next to the couch.

“Happy Birthday to Mary!” Walker arrived, singing as loudly as he could brought in a cake with eighteen candles twinkling. He used his elbow to flip the light switch off, and only the television and the little fireballs were lighting the room.

The cake was painted with white icing. Little flowers of frosting bloomed across the sugary confections. There were little strawberry slices symmetrically spread across the creation.

“Wow, strawberry’s my favorite flavor!” I was in complete bliss.

“Yeah, I asked a few of your friends on Facebook.” Walker repositioned the cake in his hands. “Now blow your candles and make a wish. Just don’t tell us what it is!”

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and blew with all my might at the fragile flames. I wished for happiness. Simple and selfish, wasn’t it? But what else would a person wish for?

I wore my new necklace around my neck, and we ate the strawberry pastry with glasses of cold milk.

We stayed up until ten o’clock, when I finally decided I would have to get to bed. I knew I was going to pay for it dearly when I woke up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated 2/1/10