Status: Complete! Prequel is And All Things Will End and Sequel is Shattered By Broken Dreams

Second Heartbeat

Chapter 37

“They're so tiny” Matt said leaning over the crib.

“No, you’re so big” Sydney smiled.

“What do you think they’ll be when they grow up?” he asked

“Hmmm, I don’t know. What ever they want so long as they aren’t musicians!”

“Hey! What’s wrong with musicians?” He folded his arms across his chest and waited for her to answer.

“Come on, Matt, you know first hand.”

“I don’t think I know what you are referring too Sydney” apparently this wasn’t a joke.

“You know, the girls and the drinking and the…never mind” she shook her head and pulled the blanket up over their son.

“and the what?” he asked

“Matt, just leave it alone, I shouldn’t have said anything. I’m going to lay down for a while, are you coming?” she asked holding out her hand for him.

He looked at her trying to figure out what she was failing to mention before finally taking her hand and following her back to their room.

--

“What are you still doing up?” Johnny asked Riley who was sitting on the couch in the living room watching television with a bowl of popcorn and a blanket on her lap.

“I’m watching a movie”

He sat down on the couch beside her and glanced over at the television to see what she was watching.

“The Wizard of OZ?”

“Yeah, it’s my favorite” she said never taking her eyes off the screen.

“Mind if I stay?”

“Of course not” she smiled and lifted the popcorn off her lap so she could give him some of the blanket.

They sat quietly watching the movie together and the only sound that could be heard was the occasional crunch of popcorn. When he put his arm around her shoulder, she snuggled up to his side and looked up at him.

“You remind me of the lion,” she said

He narrowed his eyes in confusion. “Did you just call me a coward?”

She laughed and sat up. “No, I mean look at him. At first he’s afraid, afraid of his new friend and lives in constant fear of being rejected and hurt. After a while though, he learns to trust and that being afraid is just a fact of life. He found the courage to live life as he should, without fear and regret and goes on to become the majestic wonderful being that he truly is inside only now, he is able to show it on the outside.”

“wow…I don’t know what to say to that” he said

“Well, it’s true. When I first got here, you weren’t so nice to me. I was the stranger coming into your house to look after your baby and you snapped at me that first day just like the lion snapped at Dorothy when they met for the first time. After time, you came out of your shell and started to understand that I’m not here to upset your life or cause you any hurt and so slowly, you let me into your life and slowly got the courage to show me who is really in there” she said poking his chest.

“Well, I never thought I’d ever be compared to the lion in the wizard of oz, but I supposed there is some truth to your theory.” He smiled.

“Of course there is, I’m smart like that!” she laughed.

He kissed her just before she rested her head on his shoulder and turned her attention back to the television.

--

“Are you happy?” Brian asked

“Very” Stormy smiled at him. They lay in a tangled mess of silk sheets wrapped up in each other’s arms.

“I’m glad we can do this and not have to get up and change a diaper” he said

“me too!” she laughed.

“Good, I was hoping you didn’t catch baby fever”

“Nope, not me. I’m just happy being me, here with you”

“Would you change anything if you could?” he asked

“Me? Nope. For the first time I am really happy” she smiled and played with his hair.

“Well, I would change just one thing” he sat up pulling her with him.

“What’s that?”

“Your name, I don’t like it very much” he said it as bluntly as he could.

“What’s wrong with my name? Stormy Monroe is a very good name!” she protested.

“ah it’s ok, I guess” he shrugged.

“And what would you rather my name be, dare I ask?”

He squeezed her tight and whispered in her ear. “Stormy Haner”

She pulled back and looked at him blankly. “What?”

“Don’t play stupid, you know you heard me,” he said.

She nodded, but was still taken back a little bit.

“What do you think? Don’t you think Stormy Haner sounds better than Stormy Monroe?” he asked with that oh so lovely smirk on his face.

All she could do was nod in response.

“Then it’s settled, we’ll have one of those things where everyone comes to the house and get on of those people who says the magic words and then poof! You’ll be Stormy Haner!”

She nodded again still unable to speak. “Breathe Stormy, Breathe” he laughed.

“I…I’m sorry…I just wasn’t expecting this”

“Well, then let this be the first day of many things unexpected. Hey, hand me my hat on the table.”

She reached for the hat and gave it to him and he put it on his head. She loved it when he wore nothing but the hat and a smirk. When he made a funny face and pulled the hat off his head she looked at him with wide eyes.

“Did you do something to my hat?” he asked

“No, I swear”

“Well, it doesn’t feel right, feels heavier” he flipped it over and looked inside. After seeing nothing he felt the inside with his finger. When he pulled his finger out of the hat, a diamond ring sat on the tip.

“Well, would you look at that? I knew something didn’t feel right. I don’t think this will fit me though, lets try it on you”

He grabbed her hand and slipped the ring on her finger. “See, I knew it. Fits like a glove”

She laughed and put her arms around his neck. “You are a hopeless romantic”

“Yes, yes I am” he agreed.

She laughed again and kissed him with every ounce of love she was feeling at that very moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
As promised there were:

Marriage (x2): Matt & Sydney - Aubrey & Zacky

Births (x4) – Originally there were only supposed to be 2. One for Tera and Jimmy and One for Matt and Syd, but with the Sequel on the way it was necessary to add two more. So Matt and Syd had twins and Zacky and Aubrey adopted.

Infidelity (x3) : Stormy & Brian - Zacky & Harley and for those that weren’t paying attention Harley cheated on Zacky with JB

Break up (x1): ??????