Broken Hearted on the Mend

Chapter 19

Rhiannon's POV

I spent most of my weekend with Mike and Sarah, but it didn't seem as if Justin minded all that much. I called Emmett on Sunday before I left to drive my Volvo up to New Hampshire because Justin had totaled his car and couldn't drive it anymore. At first he told me not to worry about the car issue and that he would just take public transportation or go out and buy a new car. I fought with him and told him that he could use Dad's old car because for the time being I had HANA with me.

He finally agreed and while I waited for Emmett to come with the car I spent some more time with Mike and Sarah. Justin was really starting to worry me, but I didn't put too much thought into it because I figured that I could ask him about it later. I had a lot of fun with Mike and Sarah and when my Volvo pulled into the driveway I got super excited because I wanted them to meet Emmett and get to know him, but when I walked outside my heart sort of fell because Emmett wasn't the one who stepped out of the
car, but Edward was.

"Edward where's Emmett," I asked.

"He asked me to drop the car off because he had something special planned for you tonight," he said with a coy smile.

"Oh, well come inside and meet my friends Mike and Sarah," I said dragging him by the arm.

I introduced Edward to Mike and Sarah and then sat back and watched them talk. It was a relief that Edward seemed to understand Mike and Sarah and why they hadn't stepped forward sooner. When Emmett had told me that he and his family were vampires he also had told me about some of his family's gifts, so I knew that whatever Mike and Sarah hadn't told him he was listening to their thoughts. I kept myself from smiling at his hidden gift and hoped to God that KITT and HANA were not trying to pick up on body heat from Edward because there would be none. I think that on the drive back I would drive and keep HANA off so that I wouldn't be bombarded by questions, but I knew I would be anyway because of the kind of car it is.

"Rhia, if we are going to get back before dark we should leave now," Edward said in my ear, which made me jump.

"Don't do that," I said through clenched teeth.

"Sorry sis," he muttered in my ear which made me freeze in my tracks.

He had never called me or referred to me as a sister before and I was stunned, but most of all I was honored that he felt that way because I felt that way about him. He reminded me of an overprotective older brother. It was cute at sometimes, but other times it was just plain annoying. I heard him chuckle a little and realized that he must have heard my thoughts. He had told me that he couldn't really hear them all the time, which was a complete relief, but when he did I felt like I could just hit him.

I said goodbye to Justin and told him to take care of himself better and stop doing stupid things while he drives. He just laughed and told me that he would see me on graduation night. After I bid Mike and Sarah goodbye Edward followed me to HANA. He was impressed by my car and the speed that it seemed to show just by the model. He climbed into the passenger side and while I jumped into the drivers. HANA must have realized that I didn't want her activated while Edward was in the car because I had to manually start it. As I pulled away from the house Edward started in with the questions.

"So, when did you get this car," he asked.

"My father built it for me before he died," I said not afraid to tell the truth anymore.

"Really, anything else," he prompted.

"What do you mean," I asked playing dumb.

"Well back at Justin's place I could sense that you were trying to block something from me," he smirked at me.

"Edward it's just a car that's all," I sighed heavily, "A car I named HANA," I mumbled as an afterthought.

"You named your car Hannah," he said looking at me incredulously.

"Yes, but there is a reason for me naming it HANA, and it's not the name Hannah as in H-A-
N-N-A-H, it is spelled H-A-N-A," I said trying to explain my reasoning without giving too much away.

"If you say so," he said leaning forward to the console to mess with the stereo.

"Edward what are you doing," I asked panicking that he would figure out the car's secret.

"I can't stand silence in a car ride I was just going to turn on the radio softly," he said with a coy smile.

I just nodded my head, but when I looked over at him he hit the power button for the super computer and before I could do damage control HANA was activated.

"Hart Associations Neophyte Automobile activated. How may I help you Miss Hart," HANA said.

I looked over at Edward's profile and I almost laughed because he was sitting as still as a statue with a look of pure terror on his face.

"Who said that," he asked at last.

"The car," I said nonchalantly.

"Your car talks," he asked surprised.

"Yes," I answered.

"Well I guess I could see why you called it HANA in the first place, it's an acronym for
whatever she said earlier," he said waving his hand wildly.

"Yep," I said.

"Rhia, you better keep your eyes on the road," he said calming down.

"I know," I said not turning my gaze back to the road.

"Rhia do you want to crash," he asked.

"Are you scared," I countered with my own question.

"Not for my life, but for yours I am," he said through clenched teeth.

"It will be just fine," I said with a huge grin on my face.

"RHIA LOOK OUT," he yelled suddenly just as I turned my gaze back to the road.

We were head straight for a cliff and it looked like it dropped off to the bottom of a deep ravine. I yanked on the wheel, but it didn't do anything. The car was speeding towards the cliff. I saw Edward unbuckle hi s seatbelt ready to yank me from the car before it went over. I heard the brakes squealing, but I don't remember slamming on the brakes. The car suddenly turned and headed towards the road again. I was breathing heavily because I tried not to scream bloody murder. The car drove back to the road.

"Rhia are you okay," Edward asked me.

I just nodded my head. I started driving again, but when I saw a turnoff on the road I pulled over and parked the car.

"Are you sure you are okay," he asked.

I took several deep breaths and nodded my head vigorously. I seriously was not in the state of mind to finish driving home. I knew that HANA had taken over at the last second and I was seriously thankful for it because I didn't want to die just yet. I had to live my life with Emmett. I put two fingers to my base of my neck and took my pulse. My heart had accelerated so fast that it was still trying to become normal again.

"Would you like me to drive home Miss Hart," HANA asked.

"No HANA, but thank you for saving our lives," I said.

"That is what I was made to do," she said simply.

I looked towards Edward who nodded his head in agreement. I got out of the driver's side to walk towards the passenger side so that Edward would drive home. I seriously needed to rethink how fast I should go even if I loved it so much. As I was walking around the car something hit me from behind, but when I turned around no one was there. I felt as if I was being paranoid or something, but I subconsciously rubbed the back of my head anyway. I needed a serious nap to help my heart rate go down because it was still going at about a hundred miles a minute. After I buckled my seat belt, Edward started the car and I was soon asleep.

I woke up just before Edward pulled into the driveway. I had been blessed with a dreamless sleep and I was thankful that I didn't have another blackout. I hated them because they made me see things that I didn't want to see at all or even think about for that matter. Before we went into the house after Edward parked the car he turned to me.

"Rhia are you okay," he asked concerned.

"Yes, I was just scared for a little bit there that's all," I answered.

He just nodded and then led the way into the house. When I entered the door I felt cool hands lightly cover my eyes before I could even glimpse the inside. I started fighting because I couldn't see and I needed to see. I pulled against the hands repeatedly, but they didn't budge a bit. I struggled more until I heard a voice in my ear.

"Rhia stop struggling, it's just me," Emmett whispered trying to hold back a laugh.

I instantly relaxed because I felt safe again. I leaned against his strong chest and breathed in his sweet smell. He just chuckled, which made his chest vibrate underneath me. When he took his hands away after turning me to face him I looked up into his golden eyes and just smiled. I took another deep breath and his intoxicating, sweet scent filled my nostrils and I became a little too light headed and dizzy.

I started to sway a little bit while trying to keep my eyes open at the same time. It didn't really work well because I ended up passing out in Emmett's arms. I remember hearing him calling my name and asking if I was alright, but since I had already passed out I couldn't exactly answer his questions. When I finally opened my eyes the first thing I saw was Emmett's face hovering a little too close to mine, so I pressed myself further into the couch.

"Rhia are you okay," he asked.

"Yeah, I don't know what happened," I answered.

"You passed out," he said.

"I understand that, but I don't understand why," I said.

"Well, we'll figure it out," he said grinning at me.

"What are you grinning at," I asked a smile appearing on my own face.

"I have something planned very special for the both of us," he said still grinning stupidly.

"Really, what is it," I asked.

"You'll just have to wait and see when we go on our walk in the forest," he said coyly.

"Please tell me," I whined trying to put my best pouty face on without cracking up, but it didn't
work.

"Nope, you have to be patient," he said folding his arms across his chest, but still grinning
like a little kid who just opened the best present ever at Christmas.

"You are so cute," I said.

"Why do you say that," he asked looking at me.

"Because it's true," I replied.

"I have something for you," he said suddenly.

"What," I asked.

"Close your eyes first," he said.

I didn't want to, but I knew that if I didn't he would just tease me endlessly. I felt one of his
cool hands cover my own because he didn't want me peaking. I stifled a laugh because he was really paranoid sometimes. I had sat up before I had covered my eyes because laying down was starting to get boring so when I felt something being put in my lap I couldn't stand it. I wanted to open my eyes and see what he had gotten me. I started tapping my left foot like I normally did when I was getting impatient.

"Dang, someone's impatient much," he laughed at me.

"I'm sorry, but I'm really curious to know what it is," I said starting to hop up and down in my seat.

Emmett just laughed at me and made sure I was steady before removing his hand from my face.

"Don't look yet," he commanded.

"Aw, Emmett come on don't make me wait any longer," I whined.

"It's for your own good," he said.

"You're mean," I grumbled.

"I am not and you know it," he laughed.

I just grumbled again while I felt something else being put on my lap with whatever else was already there. He must have really wanted to dote on me. I hoped that he wasn't doing this because he thought that we were growing apart because that was far from it. I suddenly smelt roses and what also smelled like orchids, which was one of my all time favorite flowers.

"Okay you can look," he finally said.

I slowly opened my eyes and what was before me was amazing. There was a trail of rose petals leading outside, which peaked my curiosity immediately. On my lap were two bouquets of flowers. One was all roses and some baby's breath and the other was all orchids and more baby's breath. At my feet were two bags and one box. I put the bouquets next to me on the couch and then picked up the first bag. I looked towards Emmett, who was sitting on the floor with a huge grin on his face.

He nodded when I gave him a look about the bag. I pushed aside the light blue tissue paper and came across some baby blue fabric mixed with a medium blue. I lifted it out of the bag and noticed that it was a dress. I looked at the tag and realized that it was made by a prestigious designer, but one I had never even heard of before. The name was Italian. I gently placed the delicate silky dress back in the bag and reached for the other one. When I looked at Emmett again his grin just grew wider, which made me wonder why he was grinning stupidly again. I looked at the second bag, then back up at Emmett, and did this a few times before it clicked.

"You did not," I said.

"I didn't what," he asked innocently.

"Please tell me you didn't," I pleaded.

"I didn't what," he asked clearly playing dumb.

"Please tell me you did not go out and by me lingerie," I asked feeling my cheeks burn red.

"Okay I didn't," he smiled at me.

"Emmett," I groaned.

"No, Rhia I'm serious I didn't buy any lingerie. I promise," he said.

"Really," I asked.

"Really, really," he said.

I braced myself before I opened the second bag because something about Emmett's grin just didn't settle with me. I seriously hoped that he didn't buy me some lingerie because we weren't doing that sort of thing, and I don't think that we would be doing that sort of thing anytime soon. There just seemed to be something that was holding him back, but I was actually fine with that because I wasn't really ready for that sort of thing. I still had scars from when my uncle raped me a month ago. I looked back towards the bag and pulled out the tissue paper. Inside was a large dark mahogany box, a small sketchpad and two smaller velvet boxes. My breath caught when I saw the small velvet boxes because I didn't know what they could contain. I pulled out the sketchpad and opened it to reveal a handwritten message from Emmett.

Rhia,

I hope you use every single page for your artwork because you have a wonderful talent. You're beautiful and if I had a beating heart it would be beating really hard every time you enter a room. As it is, I do not have a beating heart, but when you enter a room that I am in I can't help, buy smile at your beauty and your feistiness. Keep up with your artwork because I would like to see more of your beautiful work. I love you and please don't forget that at all.

Love always and forever,

Emmett


I wiped the single tear from my eye before he could see it. His words made my heart soar high. I loved him just as much as he loved me, but I think I loved him even more. Next, I took out the dark mahogany box and laid it on my lap and opened it. Inside was an assortment of art supplies that I never had before. There were colored pencils, pastels, paints, pencils, actual sketching pencils, erasers, sharpeners, markers, and everything else that related to drawing or painting. Another tear actually escaped my eye and I just let it roll down my cheek.

I was completely speechless. His grin hadn't been one that said 'I got you something that will seriously embarrass you', it was a grin that said 'I hope you enjoy your presents because I had fun picking them out'. I loved them both. I took a deep breath and pulled out the first small dark blue velvet box. I opened it to find a small key that looked really old-fashioned, but I loved it, yet I was confused at what it went to.

"What does this go to," I asked.

"That's part of the second surprise that's upstairs. Open the second one please," he said urgently.

I picked up the second small black velvet box and gently lifted the lid. Inside was a beautiful, intricate heart necklace or at least I thought it was a heart. It looked like one that wasn't closed and I loved it. The breath that I didn't know I was holding was let out and I breathed deeply again. I thought that it held an engagement ring or something. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be ready for an engagement ring yet. I looked down at my feet towards the box and picked it up. I lifted the lid and stared at a beautiful pair of soft blue three-inch heels. I looked up at Emmett and a smile split my face.

"Emmett, you didn't have to get me these things," I said completely breathless.

"Yes I did, because I love my girlfriend and I think that she deserves gifts," he answered smugly.

"You're so sweet," I said.

I got off of the couch and sat in his lap so that he could put on my necklace. He took the little blue box and snapped the lid shut and I turned to look at him completely confused.

"Aren't you going to put it on," I asked.

"Not until you change your clothes," he said.

"There's more," I asked.

"Yes, I worked all day to put this together, which is why I had Edward take the Volvo to your brother's house," he replied.

He picked me up bridal style and managed to hold onto me while bending down for all of the packages that I had just opened and then he carried me and the presents upstairs to the room we shared. He set me down on the bed and then quickly put a blindfold over my eyes. I couldn't help but let out a shriek of surprise.

"Emmett, you are not dressing me," I said matter-of-factly.

"I know that, but there is another gift that I told you was up here and since we are up here now, I would like to give it to you," he answered.

"Oh, okay," I said.

I heard wood being dragged across the floor and wondered what he could have gotten me that sounded so huge. I was seriously tempted to take the blindfold, but just as I thought about it the blindfold was removed from my eyes. In front of me an entire section of the room was all dolled up in art supplies. I was completely shocked. In front of me was a large wooden trunk that looked like it was carved with the most intricate delicacy and care. It was beautiful and it was painted three different shades of green, which was one of my favorite colors. There was a lock on the front that looked old-fashioned, which reminded me of the key in one of the small velvet boxes from earlier.

"Emmett," I said slowly, "is this what the key goes to," I asked.

"Yes," he smiled at me.

I took the key out and placed it in the lock and gave it a gentle turn. The lock clicked and I lifted the lid as gently as possible because it looked so delicate. Inside the box was an assortment of different colored compartments. Each one was labeled with a thin white label. It looked as if it was a filing cabinet for my drawings. There was a section for landscapes, a section for portraits, and a section for flowers. There were so many compartments that I couldn't help, but feel flattered. Along the side of the compartments was a slot for notebooks and a few slots for pens and pencils, and if I lifted the compartments there was room for my huge art kit.

"Emmett did you make this," I asked shocked.

"Yes I crafted it yesterday and then Esme painted it," he replied with a small smile.

"Thank you, this is wonderful," I said.

"I thought that you would like it," he said.

"I do, really I do," I answered.

"Okay, well I am going to send Bella up to do your make-up after you get dressed in your new dress and heels so that I can take you to a special place that I created all today while I was waiting for you to return," he said.

I just nodded my head and watched as he walked out the door. I stood up and took the dress out of the bag. The tags had already been removed so all I had to do was change into it. Before I could even take off of my shirt and jeans there was a soft knock on the bedroom door.

"Come in," I said.

The door opened and Bella came walking in. She had a smile on her face.

"What is it Bella," I asked gently.

"I was told by Emmett to help you with hair and make-up," she said.

I nodded and proceeded to change into the light blue dress. After I slipped the dress on Bella zipped me up and then pulled half of my hair into a small clip, leaving a few strands to rest to the side of my eyes. She then applied very light make-up. During the Prom make-over that she gave me she had told me that she hated it when Alice dressed her up like a Barbie doll because it just wasn't who she was as a person. I loved fashion, but I had my own fashion sense, so I hoped that when I finally met Alice, that she wouldn't try and make me dress in clothes that I didn't want to be dressed in. I slipped on the heels and then Bella left the room before I did.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror and smiled. It was perfect. It was just how I loved to look, when I actually cared about my appearance, or made an effort towards my appearance. I slowly walked down the stairs to find Emmett's back towards me. I softly cleared my throat and he immediately turned around. He managed to keep his jaw from dropping to the floor like he did when I came down the stairs on Prom night. I smiled at him and he took my hand and pulled me into his chest.

He turned me around so my back was towards him and then gently placed my new necklace around my neck. I leaned back into his chest he kissed the top of my head and then turned me back around.

"Are you ready for the last surprise," he asked.

I nodded my head and he led me out the door. Instead of heading towards his Jeep he headed towards my car.

"Why aren't we going in the Jeep," I asked.

"Well, I have good authority that it will rain later tonight, and I don't want my beautiful date to
get wet," he said simply.

I just nodded and led him towards my car. I wanted to show him what my father had built for me. He climbed into the driver's side after putting me in the passenger's side. Before he could even start the car it started on its own and I couldn't help but laugh at his reaction. He almost jumped out of the car because it had startled him so much.

"How the hell did the car start itself," he asked.

"My father built this car. Its name is HANA which is short for Hart Associations Neophyte Automobile. This was the only one that he built before he died. He was best friends with Sarah's father Dr. Graiman, who helped with this car. Dr. Graiman helped build the car that Mike and Sarah have. It is called KITT, or Knight Industries Three Thousand. I really hope that she didn’t scare you," I said trying to hold back my laughter.

"No, no I'm okay," he said, "but maybe we shouldn't take your car, because we are going into the forest and this car doesn't seem to be too compatible for forest trails," he added as an afterthought.

"May I be of some assistance," HANA interjected before I could reply.

"Did you just say that," he asked me.

"No, HANA did. It's part of the functions this car does," I answered with a small smile.

"Okay HANA, how can you make this car adaptable to forest trails," he asked with a slight smirk on his face as if he could outdo a super car.

"Easy. Buckle up and then we will be on our way," she answered in that oh-so-calm voice of hers.

We both buckled up and then the car took off towards the forest. We were both at a loss for words as the car took the nearest trail large enough for a car or truck and drove towards wherever we were headed. Emmett finally took the wheel to make sure the car was headed in the right direction. He stopped about three quarters of the way down the path. He got out of the car and then went over to my side. He helped me out, and when we were both outside of the car we both noticed that it had changed into a four-wheel drive Dodge truck.

Both of our jaws dropped open in shock.

"HANA how did you do that," I asked.

"It is part of my programming," she answered.

I don't remember how long we stood there gawking at the car that turned into a truck, but Emmett finally remembered why we were out in the woods in the first place when a single rain drop fell onto his hand.

"Come on Rhia, we have to walk a little ways before it starts pouring," he said.

I nodded my head in response and let him lead me through the trees. After a relatively short walk we came upon a tent. This tent wasn't a camping tent either it was a tent that kept out bugs during hot summer days. Almost like a circus tent. He led me inside and where I saw a table for two set up with candle light. There were even two place settings. I was ecstatic.

"Emmett, you didn't have to make yourself something to eat," I said.

"Well, then it wouldn't have been a dinner for two. Besides, I can handle it," he said with that huge grin of his.

I felt a few tears slide down my face. Emmett brushed them away and gave me look of concern.

"Don't cry Rhia," he said.

"These are tears of happiness," I answered.

He immediately brightened up. We sat down and ate dinner. It pained me to see Emmett force the food down his throat that he would in the end just throw up because it wouldn't digest at all.

"Emmett, please stop forcing yourself to eat," I said putting down my fork and knife.

"Rhia, it's alright, I'll be fine," he said.

I just smiled at him and finished eating my dinner. After the dinner was gone he brought out desert for one. The food must have done it because he just watched me eat the delicious slice of cake I've ever eaten in my life. In one bite that I took my tooth hit something hard. My brows furrowed and I spit out a ring into my hand.

"Emmett what is this," I asked.

"A promise ring," he answered.

"It's beautiful," I said.

He took the ring and cleaned it off with a wet towel and then slipped it onto my left ring finger. I loved how it looked and it was perfect. Just after he put the ring on my finger I heard clapping. It was loud and consistent.

"Very nice performance there, Mr. Cullen," a male voice said from the shadows.

"Yes I must agree with you my brother, but it's a shame that Miss Hart will not be with us much longer," a female voice said.

"Emmett, who is it," I asked feeling the fear start crawling its way up my body and giving me the chills.

"People that shouldn't be here," he said angrily.

He grabbed me and started running towards the car. The rain was still pouring down and within minutes my new dress was soaked through, my hair was ruined, and I could feel the mascara running down my cheeks as if I was crying uncontrollably.

"It's going to be fine Rhia. I will not let anything happen to you," Emmett whispered in my ear.

"Don't tell her lies Emmett, it won't do her any good when she's dead," the female said.

He growled in disgust and kept running. Before we could make it to the car though something smacked into Emmett from the side and his grip on me slackened and I went flying through the air. I don't remember anything else that happened because I had blacked out from smacking my head too hard on the ground when I landed.