Dichotomy.

I’ll Even Have the Courtesy of Admitting I Was Wrong

I’ve been having trouble concentrating lately.

I know that’s not anything new.

I’ve just had some words bouncing around my skull that I need to get out.

I walk into our practice space so distracted that I jump half a foot when I hear a soft voice say, “Hi.”

“…Jesus,” I say, shaking my head at myself.

Tina raises an eyebrow from where she sits behind a drumset, looking slightly amused.

“Uh…hi,”I lamely reply. “What are you doing here?” She shrugs a bit.

“Wanted to get out of my apartment for a while.” She shrugs again. “I missed touring. I don’t have drums at my place. Spencer and I are planning this elaborate scheme to get rid of you and this was the only available secret unsuspicious meeting place,” she lists off casually. I raise an eyebrow. “I don’t know, pick a reason. You?”

“I had to write something. Before I forget,” I answer. She nods and plays a few fills before putting the sticks down. She starts getting ready to leave.

I grudgingly acknowledge the fact that maybe she’s better than me.

But only at drums.

I keep that to myself and head for the piano at the other end of the space.

I sing while I try out a few ideas, trying to fit the lyrics I’ve been writing in my head since yesterday.

I stop, already starting to get frustrated. I had the perfect idea when I woke up.

“What about something like this?” she says suddenly, sitting down next to me. I scoot over to let her help, even though I’m a bit skeptical.

She takes my chords and expands on them naturally in the course of about five minutes, leaving me dumbstruck enough that I’m too surprised to be jealous or pretend to look unimpressed.

“Unless you don’t like it,” she shrugs indifferently.

“No,” I say, finding my voice. “It’s really good. Keep going.”

She continues, trying out a few variations and I can only watch.

She abruptly stops playing to look at me.

I open my mouth, confused.

“Are you going to sit there staring at me, or are you going to sing?” she raises an eyebrow at me.

She doesn’t wait for my reply and starts playing again.

I join in after a few measures and I’m surprised to find my lyrics fit.

Once we have the foundation for my song, I glance at my watch to see it’s later than I thought.

“I should get going,” I say, standing up to collect my things. I remember something once I’m halfway across the room. “One of me and Spencer’s friends is throwing a party,” I say offhandedly, not really knowing why. “I don’t know if he’s told you yet.”

She stares at me, looking curious.

“Just thought you might want to come,” I shrug awkwardly. “Haley’s going too. You can bring, uh…”

She continues staring, making me feel like an idiot.

Give me a fucking break, here.

I’m trying.

“Eric?” she asks, after the moment’s turned sufficiently awkward.

“Yeah. Him. If you want.”

Why am I still talking?

“How’s Kellie?” she asks finally.

“I wouldn’t know. I broke up with her as soon as we got back,” I say.

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

Adequately awkward pause.

“I should go, too,” she says.

I say goodbye and take my time gathering my things, giving her a head start.

I wait until I hear her footsteps echoing down the hall and the entrance door click closed.

I pick up my cellphone, dialing a number as fast as humanly possible.

“Hel-”

“Spencer,” I say, as soon as I hear his voice. I don’t give him a chance to reply.

I pause, trying to think of words to describe the past hour or so of writing with Tina.

“Pete was right. She’s a genius. We have to keep her.”

“What are you talking about?” he asks. I sigh impatiently.

“Dude. She can write. You were right. I was wrong. Okay?” I admit grudgingly.

“What’s gotten into you?” he asks, and I can just hear the smirk in his voice.

The truth is…I have no idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks: Psycho Barbie & yeahthatsme93.