‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 18

Sydney

My husband’s lunch date with Kari turned out to be more than just lunch. It was nearly 11pm when he came home. I was awake with Seven in the nursery. She was running a fever and no matter what I did, I couldn’t get her to stop crying.

When he walked into the nursery, to say I was a little annoyed at him, well that was the understatement of the year.

“What is she still doing up?” he asked walking closer to the rocking chair where I sat trying to comfort her.

“Really, Matt? Can you not hear her crying?” I snapped. I could smell alcohol on him as he made no attempt to hide it.

“I can, that’s why I asked, Sydney” his eyes glared at me. “Maybe you should give her to me and go get some sleep, you seem a little cranky yourself”

Oh no he didn’t! I stood up from the chair and Seven reached for her daddy.

Matt took the baby from my arms and she instantly stopped crying and put her head down on his shoulder. “See, daddy has way with girls” he soothed.

“That’s because daddy is a slut!” I said

“Where the hell did that come from?” he asked rubbing Seven’s back.

“Really?” I stood there with my hands on my hips. “Come on Matt, I’m not stupid”

He smiled. “I get it, this is about Kari. Well, Sydney I told you we were just friends and by the way, you asked for it.”

“I asked for what? I asked for a break, I didn’t ask you to see other people Matt! But if that is what you want, then fine. Maybe I should start dating too!”

“Maybe you should!” he said with an I don’t give a fuck tone of voice. “Hell, why don’t we make it official and just get divorced once and for all.”

I stood there unmoved, not willing to let him see my hurt or tears. “Fine. Lets.” I said through gritted teeth and walked out of the nursery. Once alone in my room, I lost it.

Matt

That wasn’t supposed to happen. This wasn’t how the night was supposed to end. When I had seen the lengths she went through to get my attention with her body, which was hot before, but was amazing now, I reacted. Being stubborn is my biggest fault. She was the one that asked for the break, so, I wasn’t going to be the one to ask her to end the break and come back to me. I wanted her to be the one to come to me and ask me. I would have said yes in an instant. So, me being me, decided to try and make her jealous and it backfired. Instead of making her run into my arms, I pushed her even further away and now we are staring down the barrel of a shotgun named divorce.

-------
Seven and Melody arrived at Madison’s right on time for their appointment. Melody tried on dress after dress after dress, but Seven wasn’t satisfied with any of them.

“You didn’t say this was going to take all day” Melody whined.

“I’m sorry Mel. Just a few more, I promise” Seven walked away and went to pick out a few more dresses. When she came back, Melody was no longer standing in front of the mirror where she had been only a few minutes before.

“Melody?” she yelled, but no one answered.

“Come on, Mel, just a few more and we can leave, I promise!” still nothing.

“Melody, this isn’t funny!”

“Is everything alright?” the salesgirl asked.

“Have you seen the girl I was with?”

“Yes, she was arguing with someone outside” the woman pointed to the front door, but there was no one there.

“What?” Seven asked confused and walked towards the front door. Once she stepped outside she looked around, but saw no sign of Melody.

“Melody?” she yelled, but no one answered. “God, damn it!” she yelled and pulled out her cell phone.

“Are you alright?” You look like you need some help” a stranger asked.

“I cant find my cousin” she continued to look around and was about to call Brian when the stranger stopped her.

“What did she look like, dear?”

“She’s 16 and petite with long brown hair. Have you seen her?”

“I think I know where she is!”

“What? You’ve seen her?”

“Yes” the stranger nodded. “She got into that limo over there with some guitar player from a famous band” she lied.

“Her father! Thank you!” Seven ran towards the limo and when she got close enough, the driver got out and opened the door. Without even looking, Seven got inside. Melody wasn’t there, only a man, a very big man that grabbed her and held her there while the door to the limo opened again.

“Well, we meet again” the stranger said.

“Who the hell are you? And where is Melody?” Seven yelled and tried to break free from the thug’s grip.

“I am your grandmother darling, how about you and me spend some quality time together?”

-------
This is what happened when Melody stepped outside the store

Annoyed with trying on dresses for more than two hours, Melody walked outside to get some air.

“I thought you’d never come out” Laura said.

“Oh hey, listen I don’t think I can go through with this”

“Of course you can”

“No, I don’t want to hurt my dad.”

“Melody, do you think, your dad cared when he slapped you?”

“Look, it doesn’t matter anymore, he loves me. I’m not going with you”

“That’s what you think, honey” Laura winked at the man who was standing behind Melody and as soon as she did it, he stuck a needle in Melody’s side. What ever was in that needle caused her to lose consciousness.

“Take her home” Laura said and the man nodded.

-------
Back at the house Brian and Stormy were starting to question the whereabouts of their daughter. They found Matt and Sydney upstairs in the kitchen.

“Have either of you heard from Seven yet?” he asked

“Not yet, but, I’m sure they’ll be home soon” Sydney answered.

“I hope so” Stormy said.

“Syd and I were just about to order pizza, you want to join us?” Matt asked.

“Yeah sure” Brian nodded.

While Matt was on the phone with the pizzeria, Sydney took a few glasses out of the cabinet and set them down on the counter. “How are things going with Mel?” she asked.

“She hates me” Stormy frowned as she spoke. Brian put his hand on her lower back.

“She doesn’t hate you.” He said. “Blade caught her dancing at a strip club and when he brought her home, Mel pretty much called Stormy a pole dancing tramp.”

“Dude, if my daughter ever said that about her mother, I’d make her mouth bleed.” Matt said walking back to the counter where they were all standing.

“Yeah, well I don’t know what came over me, but I slapped her and she hasn’t spoken to me since.”

“She’s just taking it out on you, don’t let her see that it bothers you” Matt knew all too well about how the father daughter argument worked.

“Yeah, well that isn’t the worst part.”

“Oh?” Sydney said raising her eyebrow”

“Mmm hmmm my 16 year old daughter is in love with Zacky’s 21 year old son and the poor guy cant get away from her fast enough”

“awww” Sydney laughed.

“Good luck with that” Matt grinned and tapped his friend on the shoulder.

When the pizza arrived the four of them ate and joked about the frustrations of having a daughter. Poor Brian was being teased left and right by Matt who had long surpassed the teen years and warned him of what was to come. By the time they looked at the clock again, it was 8pm and still no word from either of the girls.

--

Blade walked out of the little convenient store with his pack of cigarettes. He was opening them when he heard the voice of a stranger.

“Hello” she said as he put a cigarette in his mouth.

“Hi” he said not paying any attention. He was trying to light a match.

“Do you know who I am?” she said getting his attention. He looked over at her and gave her the once over.

“Yeah, you’re Laura, Melody’s friend.” He nodded and finally got the match to light.

“Yes, and you are Blade” she smiled.

“How do you know my name? We’ve never met” he said

“Simple, your father killed my husband”

“Excuse me?” he said not having a clue what she was talking about.

“No honey, excuse me” she stepped out of the way as the driver of her limo sped up. It was too late for him to move out of the way, before he realized what was happening, the car hit him head on.