‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 19

Blade

“What’s happening to me? I’m bleeding and I can’t move. It’s like I’m looking down at myself and I can see me lying on the ground. There are paramedics sticking things in me.
Why can’t I get up? I don’t want to die. Please don’t let me die.

They’re putting me in an ambulance and my face is turning blue. This isn’t real, this isn’t happening. I’m not dead, I can’t be dead. WAKE THE FUCK UP!

It hurts so badly and it’s getting harder to breathe. The sound of the siren is starting to fade and I can’t understand the voices around me. Help me. Somebody help me.

I don’t want to die….

Melody….help me.


“Hello?”

“Mr. Baker?”

“Yes, this is Zack Baker, who is this?”

“This is officer Simpson. Sir, is Blade Baker your son?”

“Yeah, what did he do now?”

“Sir, I’m sorry, there has been an accident.”

“W..What?”

Aubrey got off the couch and went to stand beside her husband. She put her hand on his arm and he glanced at her with worry in his eyes.

“Your son was hit head on by a moving vehicle. It was a hit and run. He’s on his way to the County Medical Center. You’ll need to get down there right away.”

“Is he…is he dead?” Zacky asked.

“Sir, you’ll need to get to the hospital right away.”

“Ok, I’m on my way.” Zacky hung up the phone and looked at his wife. His face was the palest she’d ever seen.

“Someone hit Blade with their car and we have to get down to the hospital”

--
Brian and Stormy went with Zacky and Aubrey to the hospital while Matt and Sydney stayed behind with Jimmy and Tera to wait for the girls to come home.

Zacky raced through the doors of the hospital with his wife trailing behind him. Brian and Stormy followed after parking the car.

When Zacky approached the emergency room service desk, he was practically in tears.

“I’m Zack Baker, where is my son?” he asked

“Mr. Baker, have a seat in the waiting area.” The nurse said.

“NO. I want to see my son” he shouted.

“The doctor will be out in a minute to speak with you, please have a seat”

“Come on, Zack” Brian put his hands on Zacky’s shoulder and urged him to go into the waiting room. The four of them walked to the room and waited together for the doctor.

20 minutes later he finally appeared. His scrubs were covered with blood and his face didn’t look very hopeful.

“Mr. Baker?”

“Yes, where’s my son” Zacky stood.

“He’s in surgery. We’re doing everything we can to save him”

Aubrey covered her mouth with her hand to hide her sobs as she leaned against her husband.

“What do you mean? You have to save him there is no other option” Zacky said

“Where trying, he’s lost a lot of blood and needs a transfusion, but we haven’t found a match yet. Would either of you be a match?”

“He’s adopted” Aubrey shook her head no.

“Well we’re searching all of the blood banks. You may want to know that he has come too a few times and each time he kept saying the same thing.”

“What is it?” Zacky asked.

“Melody”

Brian looked at Stormy and wondered what that could mean. They both had a sick feeling in the pit of their stomach.

“I should get back in there” The doctor said and started to walk away.

“Wait. I could be a match” Zacky said. Brian closed his eyes knowing that the secret they were keeping was about to come out.

“What?” Aubrey asked.

“He’s my son in every sense of the word.”

Aubrey’s face bore shock and confusion as Zacky followed after the doctor leaving Aubrey there with Brian and Stormy. Although Brian knew the truth it wasn’t his place to air Zacky’s dirty laundry. He was going to have to be the one to explain how the child they adopted is actually his.