‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 45

After Matt’s little incident at the wedding, Sydney gave him no peace. She followed him around the house like a lost puppy. Everywhere he went, she went.

“Syd, I’m fine.” He smiled.

“I know I’m just making sure. No stress remember” she smiled.

He rolled his eyes. “No stress” he mumbled under his breath.

He walked into the kitchen with her following behind him. She pulled out a chair for him to sit down at the table and when he sat she went and got him a cup of coffee.
She set the cup down in front of him and reached for the sugar bowl, but he grabbed her hand. “Syd, I can fix my own coffee,” he said.

“Ok”

When Zacky walked into the kitchen Matt breathed a sigh of relief at the thought of having someone there to save him from his overbearing wife. After pouring himself a cup of coffee, Zacky joined him at the table and immediately noticed Matt’s annoyance.

“Hey Sydney, could you go upstairs and get me a t-shirt?” Matt asked hoping she would say yes and leave.

“Ok” She smiled and when she was out of the kitchen Matt turned to Zacky.

“Help me” he begged. “She’s driving me fucking nuts”

“What the hell do you want me to do about it?”

“I don’t know just find an excuse to get me away from her, Please!” he was seriously begging and Zacky did all he could to hold in his laughter.

“Ok, just tell her you have to go into to studio today. We’ll go when she gets back.”

Ten minutes later Sydney came back with a shirt for Matt and handed it to him. “Do you want me to help you put it on?” she asked.

“Uh no, I can dress myself, thanks” he smiled and Zacky almost spit his coffee out of his mouth choking back laughter.

Matt stood up and put his shirt on and motioned for Zacky to get up so they can leave. “Ok, Syd, see ya later”

“Where are you going?” she asked.

“We’re working today”

“But you aren’t supposed to be under stress!” she protested.

“I wont be, I promise.” He smiled and kissed her cheek just before walking out of the kitchen with Zacky.

Melody

“Hey kiddo” Brian said as he walked into her room. Melody closed her sketchbook and looked at him as he sat down on her bed.

“Can I see?” he asked.

“No, it’s nothing special”

He nodded and remembered the conversation he had with Blade at the wedding reception about her. “So, anything you want to talk about?” he asked.

“no”

“Nothing at all?”

“Nothing, why are you being so strange dad?”

He faked a shocked expression “Me, Strange? I’m just curios that’s all” he smiled.

“Well, there is something” she folded her hands and laid them on top of her sketchbook.

“What is it?” he asked.

“There’s this art school and they are taking new students next semester” She looked down at her hands and played with her rings.

“and you want to go?” he asked lifting her chin so she was looking at him again.

“Yes” she nodded.

“Well, it’s something I’ll have to talk to your mother about, but I don’t see why not. Where is it?”

“It’s in San Francisco”

“Melody, I don’t think that’s such a good idea. I don’t really like the idea of you going away to school by yourself.”

She leaned her head back on the headboard. “I knew you’d say no, there was no point in even asking.”

“Mel, if you can find a school closer to home, I promise I’ll say yes”

“Forget it” she frowned.

“Hey, you want to go get some ice-cream?”

“No thanks, I’d rather be alone.” She said hinting for him to get up and leave.

“Ok” he shook his head and walked out of her room closing the door behind him.

--

Jimmy…

“Can I sleep in our bed tonight? The couch is too hard?” he asked his wife who was still upset with him over his argument with Matt.

“I’ll have to think about it” she said flipping through the pages of her magazine.

“Please” he pouted.

“Jimmy! Do you even know that Seven and Legend aren’t speaking and they haven’t even been married a full day yet? All because you and Matt had to be selfish and act like children on their wedding day.”

“Well, if Matt didn’t drop the cake, there wouldn’t have been a problem!” he protested with his hands on his hips.

“Arguing with you, is like arguing with a 5 year old” she said and put her magazine down on the coffee table before standing up. “You better find a way to make it up to those kids or I swear you will never sleep in our bed again” she warned and left him standing alone in the living room.

He stood there with his mouth open wondering what the hell just happened. The only time he had ever not slept in their bed with her was when he was touring.

“Fine!” he shouted.

“What the fuck am I going to do?” he said to himself before walking into the kitchen.

Sydney was sitting at the table having coffee brooding over the fact that Matt went to work today.

“My wife hates me,” he said.

“What do you want me to do? Bake you a cake?” she snapped.

A smiled flashed across his face that only a mother could love.

After going to the refrigerator he pulled out the carton of eggs along with butter and milk and then grabbed the flour from the counter.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Baking a cake” he winked.

She got up from the table and grabbed her cup of coffee. “I think I’m going to go check on my husband” she said.

“Ok, give him a kiss on the lips from me!” Jimmy shouted as he got elbows deep in flour.

She just shook her head and walked out of the kitchen.

Four hours later……

“Jimmy?” Tera called out his name from the living room.

“In the kitchen!” he yelled.

When she walked into the kitchen he stood there behind the kitchen putting the last few touches on a four-tiered wedding cake. When he saw her, he smiled.

“Now, can I sleep in our bed again?” he asked sincerely.

She couldn’t take her eyes off his handy work. “um…well..uh..oh my” was all she could manage to say.