‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 54


Zacky stood before his son fixing his tie for him as he was barely capable of getting dressed let alone fixing his tie. When he was done, he led his son out of his bedroom knowing that he was facing a world of hurt, but for his son, he would always be there. Blade’s face held no emotion as he descended the stairs with his father behind him.

The sun hadn’t found its way out today; it didn’t matter though if it did decide to show, as there would still be no sunshine for a long long time. The faint smell of fresh fallen rain still lingered in the air as they walked across the wet grass to their waiting vehicle.

Time seemed to stand still as Blade walked into the church behind the coffin that was being carried in front of him and took his rightful place in the front pew with his father sitting behind him.

As the Priest began the sermon Blade could hear nothing but the faint sounds of the voice of the robed man who stood in front of the coffin. His voice seemed to fade away even further into the distance as the memories crept into Blade’s mind forcing him to remember better days, as this was clearly not one of them.

It had come to the point where it was time for family to say a few words and for Blade it was the hardest thing he ever had to do. With his father helping him, he walked up to the dais and stood behind it. Facing the people before him, he breathed deeply and after glancing at the photo that sat in a gold frame beside the coffin, slowly the words started to flow out of his mouth.

“When you finally fly away
I’ll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell
But whatever road you choose
I’m right behind you, win or lose
Forever young.”

The last two words came out as a sob for he was no longer able to hold his tears at bay. As his father put his hand on his shoulder he stepped down and walked back to his seat. Others told stories that he’d never heard of times he’d never seen nor would he be given the chance too.

When all was said and done, he again found himself walking behind the coffin. This time it was as the coffin was being carried out of the church. They followed behind the Hearst as it led the precession to the gravesite where he would have to say his final goodbye.

Blade stood with his father by his side as he laid a peach carnation atop the white coffin.
While the others in attendance followed suit, Blade took his place in front and picked up his guitar. When the last flower was place and the last goodbye spoken, the coffin started to descend to the sounds of Amazing Grace played by himself for the person in his life who he could honestly say was “amazing.”

Afterwards, they sat in the car on the way home in silence. Blade had declined to go back to Harley and Jason’s to receive visitors and mourners, as he wanted to go home and mourn his sister alone. Her death came when he’d least expected it and it was in her death that he realized how much he hated Harley for robbing him of her life.

When they got back to the mansion everyone was there and willing to be there for as long as Blade needed, but it was the one person he least expected to give him support that was the one person to step forward first and offer his condolences and that was Brian.

It was then when Blade remembered how his sister went weak in the knees after meeting Synyster Gates, her favorite guitar player, and it was then that he lost all he’d been holding in right there on Brian’s shoulder.

Without a word, Brian led Blade down to his apartment where they never spoke a word to each other. Brian just sat there in silence with Blade and didn’t need to tell him what he already knew, which was that he was there for as long as he needed. So, over the next few hours they just sat quietly with a few beers and a pizza.

It was Pizza night after all and that was Jaylen’s favorite night of the week.
♠ ♠ ♠
Truth is...this was the first chapter I wrote for this story and it was originally intended to be Aubrey that died. After getting into the "meat" of the story, I really couldn't take her out of it so I rewrote the chapter.