‹ Prequel: Temporary Home
Status: Finished!

Temporary Life

Chapter 14

Image

I was trying to make dinner as my hands continued to shake. "Kels, have you been taking your pills?" Dad asked, leaning against the counter.

"I've just been a little forgetful with them lately."

"Kels, you can't be forgetful with those."

"Well when you have a baby to take care of, plus a house full of people, a bitch you just want to kill, a job- oh fuck!" I stopped what I was doing and ran to get my phone. I dialed Kristopher's number. He was my boss.

"Hello, Kelsi." He said calmly.

"Kris, I am so sorry! Something came up, and I wasn't thinking. I-"

"Kelsi, calm down. Ryan came by and told me what was going on. If you're planning on staying in California for a while, I have a chain of bars and there's one close to where you are. I need a fill in manager until my other one comes back."

"So... You're not mad?"

He laughed. "Of course I'm not mad. You're one of my best workers. We all have hard times now and again."

"Thanks, Kris." I sighed in relief. He gave me the address to the bar and told me to be there at eight. I looked at the clock and it was already six.

I was rushing around to get everything, so I could leave. "Papa, I'm sorry to ask on short notice, but could you please watch Lily tonight? I don't know how late I'll be at work 'till."

"That's fine, Sweetie. Since when did you work?"

"Back in West Chester. My boss has a chain out here that I can be a manager for until his other one gets back. I have to start tonight though."

"Kels, you need to slow down and take care of yourself first. The job can wait." Dad said.

"No, Dad. It can't wait. Not when I have a daughter to support. And don't tell me you'll do it, because I don't want anyone taking care of us anymore when I'm perfectly capable of taking care of us myself."

"Not when you're making yourself worse!"

"I'm anemic! Big fricken deal, Dad! I'll drink some juice later and I'll be fine." I said, grabbing my purse.

"I really wish you would think about this."

"I don't have time to think."

"Where's your pills then? I'll have them ready for you when you get back."

"They're at Bam's." I sighed, getting my rental car keys out.

"Then call him on the way there."

"Dad, enough." I walked out the door and off to work.

*Brian's P.O.V.*

"I really wish she would just listen to me." I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

"Did you ever listen to me?" Dad asked, smirking. I looked at him and groaned. "My point exactly. You're just lucky she's not as hard headed as you."

"Mhmm, I'll give you hard headed." I mumbled as I walked out of the room to make a call.

"Hello?"

"Bam?"

"Hey, Brian. Is Kels there?"

"She's here. Listen, I need you to send me her pills. Apparently she 'forgot' to pack them. Anyways, she just really needs them. Her hands are shaking really bad again."

"Of course, I'll get them in tonight... Is she ok?"

I paused. "Describe ok?"

He sighed agitatedly. "God, I'm such an idiot!"

"What do you mean? Other than the obvious."

He didn't even have a remark for that. "I just made the biggest mistake of my life."

Click.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait! I thought I updated last night? I don't remember much about last night... Weird. Anyways, moving on. Who's this Kris guy? Hmm... (Other than being her boss, obviously)