‹ Prequel: Temporary Home
Status: Finished!

Temporary Life

Chapter 21

Image

"Kels, we do have to warn you... He is not the Kevin you remember." Carson said, as we pulled up to a house.

"I figured as much." I said, getting out. Devin walked over to me and took my hand in his. I looked up at him confused, and he just gave me a look, telling me I would need it. I smiled and gripped his hand tighter as we walked up to the door.

Beth opened the door and just walked in. I looked around the trashed living room, seeing familiar things, that I never wanted to see again. The whole place was a mess. I was in utter shock and disbelief. What had happened?

"Kevin! Where are you?!" Beth called through the house. "Kevin! Get your ass out here!" She yelled again.

"Fuck, woman! Stop yelling!" I heard a raspy voice groan, then some stumbling. "You know, I really wish you would-" He stopped in his tracks when he saw me. "Kelsi?" He asked, unsure if it was me or his imagination.

I just kept looking him over, from head to toe. He looked horrible. He didn't look like the cute boy I had a crush on when I first moved here. He looked... Well, like a drug addict. It seemed like he hadn't shaved in at least two weeks, he had dirty clothes on, and just looked dirty. "What have you gotten yourself into?" My voice came out just above a whisper, as I shook my head, not wanting to believe this.

"Oh, don't you start on me now, too. I have this bunch over here every other day telling me to clean my act up. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean." He said, waving it off.

"It means to clean yourself the fuck up!" Beth screamed at him, obviously pissed off. Derek took her hand and walked her outside to calm her down.

"Kevin, I can't believe you're doing this. What got into you? Or should I ask who?"

"Fuck, I don't need you to pull this on me too." He said, plopping down onto the couch.

I shook my head, starting to get pissed off. I went to the kitchen and, surprisingly, found a trash back. I started walking around the house, trying to find anything and everything that was drug related, and threw it out. I wasn't going to let this go on.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Kevin screeched, jumping up and running over to me.

"This is for your own good, Kevin." I snapped, grabbing more things. How much did he fucking have?!

"Bitch! Leave my shit alone!" He said, grabbing my wrists.

"Kevin, let go of me, now." I hissed. When he didn't, I kneed him in the crotch.

"Fucking, skank!" He growled, slapping me. That's when Jake and Ben grabbed him, pinning him against the wall.

"You ok?" Devin asked, brushing hair out of my face.

"I'm fine." I said, going back to throwing things out.

Ben had knocked Kevin out cold while I finished up. I ran to the trash can and threw it all out. Good thing it was trash day, so he won't be able to find any of it when he does wake up.

"Get in the car." Ben said, still fuming from what happened. I was scared from his sudden tone of voice, and decided not to piss him off.

When we got back to Papa's, I got out of the car, followed by the others and the other car. Jake and Carson had stayed behind to keep an eye on him for now. "Do you seriously have a death wish or something?" Ben seethed, catching me off guard.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Why the hell did you do that back there, Kels?! Do you know what he could've done to you?!"

"But he didn't! That goes to show that there's still part of him left!"

He looked at me in disbelief. "You can't be serious. Don't tell me you're going soft for him."

"I want to help him, Ben. I'm not just going to sit by and let this happen after knowing about it!"

"It was his damn choice do to that shit, Kels! Let him take the consequences for it!"

"I made a lot of mistakes in my life too, Ben! But my family and friends didn't turn their backs on me!"

"No, but you turned your backs on us."

I stopped, trying to calm down. "What happened to make you so bitter, Ben?" I asked softly.

He looked at me for a few minutes, before speaking. "I lost two of my best friends. One just up and left... The other turned to drugs... I don't know why, but it happened. I hoped that it was all just a dream, but then when I didn't wake up, I knew it wasn't."

"Ben, I'm sorry for leaving, but I had my reasons. You can't hold that against me."

"No, but you could have at least given us a straight reason and good-bye, we deserved that much, Kels." He said, before turning away and getting in his car, driving off.

"Come on." Devin said, putting his arm around my waist and leading me inside.

"Kelsi! Why do you look so sad?" Ky asked, running over to me. He'd been in school then went to spend the night at his friends yesterday. So I hadn't gotten a chance to see him yet. I pulled him into my arms and held him close.

I knew Ben was upset, and he had every right to be. But, sometimes, you just need to move on. I know, I shouldn't be talking. I've learned a few things this past year, and one of them, was to let go of the past before it haunted you for the rest of your life.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOOOO!!! Snow Day :) Even though I hate the snow....
Thank you to all my amazing readers and those who comment every chapter!
Please comment! It makes me happy to write :)