‹ Prequel: Temporary Home
Status: Finished!

Temporary Life

Chapter 6

Image

Later, I was in the kitchen starting dinner, when Dad came in. "Hey, what's up?" I asked, still going around the kitchen, doing twenty things at once.

"Is that why you left? Because of Lily?" He asked softly, leaning against the counter.

I sighed. "Dad, I already told you my reasons."

"Kels, you went off on your own while you were pregnant when you didn't need to! I just don't get it. We're your family; we work through these things together. Yes, I would have been upset at first, but I would've gotten over it. You're my daughter, I would help you as much as I could."

"I know that, Dad and I appreciate the thought. But I'm a big girl, and I had Bam's help. Ape, Phil and Jess too who have all been through having and raising kids. I'm not saying it was easy, because it was far from that. There were days where I just broke down and wanted to go back. I did and still love you guys. There wasn't a day I didn't think about you guys. While Lily was still in the womb, I played her your guys' music, along with the others. I still play it for her. Dear God is her favorite." At that, he smiled.

He sighed, shaking his head slowly. "I just can't believe my baby has a baby! It just... It doesn't seem real. It feels like just yesterday you were that sassy teenage daughter that didn't put up with shit."

"Oh, I'm still sassy and I still don't put up with shit." I laughed.

"I don't doubt it. But... My point is, I feel like you don't need me anymore." He pouted.

I gave him a stern look. "Dad, I'll always need you. But, you also have Ky who needs you, and Michelle."

"I know... It's just not the same without you there. I’m still waiting for you to be there, helping Jimmy or the Berry Brothers pull pranks on us. Or being your shoulder to cry on, then kicking the guys’ ass that made you cry."

I smiled. "Oh, I'm sure it won't be long 'till Ky fills up that spot with the Berry’s."

"He already has!" He laughed, shaking his head.

"Kelsi! Guess what?! I totally forgot to tell you!" Speaking of the little, but cute, devil.

"What?" I asked, smiling at his eagerness to tell me something.

"I'm going to be a big brother! Just like you! But you're a big sister… Oh, whatever, you know what I mean." I stood in shock, looking up to Dad.

"Oh boy... Thanks, Ky," Dad said, smiling sheepishly, before turning and running back to the living room.

"Oh no ya don't! Get back here!" I picked up Ky and ran after him. "You have some explaining to do," I said, pointing at Dad as he hid behind Michelle.

"It was Ky!" Dad said.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I asked Michelle.

"Tell you what?"

"That you were pregnant!"

"You told her?!" Michelle asked, slapping Brian upside the head.

"We were going to tell her together!" Val said, pouting.

"Whoa, what?"