Status: Fin

A Life Worth Living

Avoidance Can Cost A Lot

So Sunday went by with Aiden and I not speaking to one another. Well actually every chance he got, he’d try to apologize, but I wouldn’t listen. It’s not that I didn’t want to because it pained me when I didn’t talk to Aiden. It was just that he opened a wound I thought I had closed and now I feel if I speak one word I may break. I can’t do that to my family, I need to be strong. So Sunday was quiet.

Monday I went back to work. Unfortunately Aiden had to take the twins and Alex to the doctor. They all had caught a bug which brought a sprout of the stomach flu. Evan, being Evan couldn’t handle watching Mason, so Mase came with me to work. Old Quil was more than happy to have Mason around the shop for the day, so everything seemed to be working out.

“Ol’ Qwil!! I found you!!” cheered Mason. They were currently playing hide-n-seek while I was helping a customer. The little bell then rang signaling someone entering the tiny store. I looked up from where I was at the cash register and was shocked to see Seth standing at the door way with a big goofy grin on his face.

“Hey Delilah,” he said while walking over to the register.

“Hi Seth,” I said after finishing my last customers’ order. Mason then came running out from the back with Old Quil trailing behind him.

“Seph you here!” cheered Mason. Once he reached Seth, he pulled on his leg. That was Mason’s way of asking to be picked up. Seth gladly obliged and launched Mase up into the air, earning a howl of laughter from the three year old.

“That kid sure has a lot of energy,” panted Old Quil from beside me. “How ‘bout I let you off early Miss Delilah and you can take him and Seth down to the beach?” he questioned.

“Um, well you don’t need anymore help?” I asked trying to steer away from alone time with Seth. Old Quil shook his head no. “Um, sure, but only if Seth wants to,” I said quickly hoping he’d say no and I could just pretend like this situation never happened.

“I’d love to,” Seth said brightly with Mason still in his arms. “How ‘bout you Mase, wanna go to the beach?” he asked the little guy.

To this question, Mason struck a hero like pose with one hand raised and yelled, “To the beach Seph!”

With Mason’s approval we were on our way. Once we reached First Beach, Mason took off. He would collect rocks here and there and then toss them as far as he could into the ocean. All the while, Seth stared intently at me. A cold gust of wind whipped at us, so I pulled my sweater tighter to my body. Seth seemed just fine in his t-shirt and shorts, which was incredibly odd, but if I said anything he’d probably just shrug it off.

“I like your necklace,” Seth said abruptly, catching me completely off guard. I looked down at my necklace and began to fiddle with it.

“Thanks, it was a gift from Aiden, my brother. You met him at the bonfire. Well anyway, um he got me this three years ago on Christmas because he knows how much I like owls,” I said rambling.

Gosh, whenever I’m around him I ramble incessantly. This is crazy. Get a hold of yourself Delilah; he’s just a little boy.

Okay, so he’s only two years younger than me, but still…

“Owls are pretty cool,” Seth said thoughtfully with a beautiful smile lighting up his face. “Is Aiden the one who carried Mason and Alex when they fell asleep?” he inquired.

“Yeah, that’s him,” I said thinking about Aiden and my conversation in the van on the way home. Tears immediately began to prickle at my eyes and for some reason I couldn’t keep them all in; one single tear made its way down my cheek. I lifted my arm to remove it, but a burning hand had beaten me to it. Seth looked at me with concern.

“You know I lost my dad a few years ago and I always thought it was best not to cry, why should I you know, I’m a man. But what I figured out was the longer you bottle something up the worse it is when it’s unleashed. So I bawled my eyes out at his funeral and I don’t regret it. I’m not afraid to cry about it anymore because tears don’t show weakness, they show a vulnerability we all share. Crying helps Lilah,” Seth said softly. That was the most Seth had ever said to me and it was the only time anyone had ever told me it was okay to cry. So with that, I sobbed like I never had before. This was the first time I had cried since my parents’ funeral. I had promised myself I would never do it again. But there was something about Seth that gave me comfort.

It was probably a good twenty minutes before I could stop the water works. Seth has sat through it all just holding me, rocking me back and forth, and whispering soothing words into my ear.

“I’m sorry,” I croaked, backing out of our embrace to wipe the tears from my eyes. “I don’t normally have emotional break downs with random people, but um, thank you Seth,” I said looking deeply into his eyes.

There’s that look again. Longing, lust? No is that, no! I’m just delusional; people can’t just fall in love after a day, it doesn’t happen like that.

“Anytime Lilah, I’ll always be there. Always and forever,” he stated as he leaned forward slowly. I began leaning forward as well. I couldn’t stop it either. It was as if there was a greater force pushing us together. I saw him look down at my lips and then quickly back into my eyes. We were only a centimeter apart and…

SPLASH! Water splatters all over our faces and we turn to see Mason giggling like crazy. He’s holding a bucket.

“Mason, where did you get that bucket?” I asked laughing and smiling. Smiling a real smile and it felt amazing.

“I no know,” he replied before bolting back toward the crashing waves. Seth and I looked at each other and then took off behind him. We chased Mason down until Seth caught him and twirled him around in his arms. We were all laughing like crazy people when suddenly a wolf howl ripped through the air.

We all stopped moving and Seth handed Mason to me. He turned to the woods and then sadly replied, “You should get home, it’s getting late.” I pulled out my cell to see he was right. It was seven o’ clock already.

“Yeah, sure. We’ll see you soon then Seth?” I questioned for once being hopeful about something.

Seth’s whole body turned toward me and my favorite smile was displayed on his face. “Absolutely, Lilah. How ‘bout tomorrow you and your family come to Emily’s for dinner. Everyone’s gunna be there.” He said looking equally as hopeful as I had felt before.

“Yeah, we wouldn’t miss it. So, see you then.” I said as Seth grabbed Mason and twirled him around. He was granted with high pitch squeals escaping Mases’ mouth.

“Bye Bye Seph,” said Mason once Seth had put him down.

“Bye little man, I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said to Mason and then turned toward me. “I’ll see you too Lilah,” he whispered in to my ear as he hugged me close. This brought shivers to my spine in the best way possible. And before I could even react he pecked my lips and then took off toward the woods. I stood there shocked for a few seconds and then whispered “See you,” into the wind even though he couldn’t hear it.

I then turned back toward the van and buckled Mason in. “I like Seph,” Mason said on the ride back home.

“I like him to Mase, I like him a lot,” I replied, meaning every word of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...chapter 7...yup...hope you liked it!!

Here's a link to Delilah's outfit.

Please comment and subscribe!!