Status: Comments equal Love....teehee <3

An Unexpected Romance

I Figured Love Would Shine Through

2 years later


“Baby doll, you look beautiful,” Nova’s words were kind as I stood in front of the floor length mirror.

“Gorgeous, Charlie,” Steph added, smiling half-heartedly.

The dress was beyond pretty. It was white and delicate. It was a classic ballgown of tulle and glitter net over taffeta. My hair was up in an elegant bun and a cascading veil completed it. My wedding dress was everything any little girl could dream of.

“Hunny, are you sure about this? I only want you to be happy,” my mother said standing behind me, handing me my grandmother’s sapphire earrings. Something blue. I had on my grandmother’s diamond bracelet as well, which my grandfather had given her before leaving for war. Something old. I had on a brand new white garter with roses on it. Something new. And I had my mother’s diamond hair pin, from when she got married to my father. Something borrowed.

Today was a day I’d been waiting for all my life. Every little girl dreams of a wedding. I dreamt of a huge church, a beautiful white dress, a handsome fiancé and a fairytale ending. It was all happening, yet I felt none of the happiness I should.

“It’s the right thing to do at this time,” I uttered staring at my reflection in the mirror. I wasn’t the same Charlie, I had come to know and embrace. I was a new being, set on the fast track in life.

That New Years Eve two years ago was the last time I would ever be spunky Charlie Morgan.

I became a new being, for if I hadn’t I probably would have ended up in a mental asylum. It’s crazy to think one person can affect you so greatly, but Levy had changed me more than I knew at the time. After I saw Levy with Heather, it dawned on me just how much you could love someone. It was stronger than when Greg cheated on me and maybe this one hurt more because it was a reoccurring theme in my life or maybe it hurt more just because it meant more.

It took me weeks to get myself back together, but once I did I set myself right. I went to work everyday of the week and began to take night classes to become a Nurse Practitioner. I lost sight of me and only cared for work. Along the way, I found someone just as work crazed as I had become. A man by the name of Nicholas Maser.

He was more than overjoyed when I finally accepted his offer to go on a date, even though I was only an empty shell of my former self. We became content with each others company. I loved having him around because it seemed to ease the heartache I was still burdened with. We moved in together and shared equally in the flourishes of our successful careers.

In the beginning of our relationship, I still had Levy hounding me. He called incessantly starting that New Years Day. He would leave e-mails, cards, calls, notes; he’d show up at the door step only to be turned away by either Steph or Nova. I never ventured back into The Cookie Corner, all though it was receiving much attention from the media. I had not spoken to Oliver or Maggie either, although both had tired to contact me.

After many months of Levy not giving up, all traces of his hopes to get me back left. And that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He had given up, is what I assumed, and I truly gave up as well. I guess in my secret wishing I had wanted him to barge into my apartment and make me believe he wouldn’t leave me for Heather. But that was silly and that’s why it was only wishing, never to come true.

Nick eventually asked me to marry him a year later and I turned him down, saying I wasn’t ready for that. He asked again a month later and I gave in. We had been together for almost one and half years as an engaged couple living nicely in his loft. We set the date and today was that day. We were having it in a huge church, absolutely stunning. His family was all tight knits much like him, but we got along for the most part. Nick, also, was an only child, something I couldn’t even imagine. My brothers didn’t like him that much, but then again after the guys I dated they all agreed Nick was stable and decent.

“Oh baby girl,” my mom whispered sadly looking at me. Tears were prickling her eyes. “You’re a beautiful bride. I knew you would be. You’ll be happy with Nick.”

It wasn’t a question anymore. It was a statement. I was to be happy with Nick because he was right for me. There was no sense of danger in being with Nick, only a sturdy life.

Steph pulled me in for a hug, her rounding belly coming between us. Allen and she had been married for a year, madly in love with one another. Five months ago she found out she was expecting, wonderful news for the beautiful couple. I was overjoyed for them. “You deserve some happiness, Charlotte. Is this going to give you it though?”

“Of course it will,” I said putting on my game face. Steph nodded and excused herself, so she could get on line for the procession. She was my co-maid of honor after all. The other half of the duo came over to pull me in for a hug as well.

“You’ll always be my baby doll. Even if I think you’d be happier with someone else who made a dumb mistake. You’re still my best friend Charlie and I hope this will give you a break from the heartbreak,” Nova smiled. He for the longest time believed I would end up back with Levy, but that never happened. Nova was happy though; he and Jeremiah moved in together and were more than happy. They planned to get married in Jeremiah’s home state of Connecticut and then they could live a great life in New York.

“Love you Casanova,” I smiled as well, watching him leave out the same door as Steph.

“Here’s your bouquet,” my mom said gently, handing me my red roses. Roses weren’t my favorite flowers, but they were beautiful none the less. “I love you, my beautiful baby girl. You know you’re father and I love you and your brothers more than anything on this Earth?”

“Of course, ma,” I replied turning to look her in the eyes.

“We love you no matter what you do,” she said sternly, placing a kiss on my forehead. “Knock him dead, darling.”

“Always do, momma,” I laughed lightly before she left the room with everyone else. I had a few minutes to myself before I walked down the aisle to Nick and my future.

The door opening startled me and I turned expecting my mother to say she forgot something, but instead it was the last person I would have ever expected.

“I guess you look semi-pretty,” Heather’s voice was exactly as I remembered it. She looked worn down though. Her eyes held sadness, much like mine did. “I’ll give you that.”

“What could you possibly be doing here? You’ve already taken everything I had, what else do you want?” I asked with hidden anger.

“Just thought I’d drop in. I heard through the grapevine you were getting married. I also heard it wasn’t to Levy, so I had to check it out.”

“You’re not with Levy?” I questioned perplexed. I had always imagined after Levy stopped trying to contact me, he would have gone after Heather.

“No, of course not. I’m lucky he didn’t kill me for what I did,” she began. “I’m still with my husband. I thought you would have forgiven poor Levy, after all he did nothing wrong. He was telling the truth the entire time. He would never have come back to me, not when he had you. You and you’re natural beauty. You and you’re great personality. A great catch and Levy had you.”

“Why are you saying all this?”

“Because Levy didn’t just randomly get back together with me. I convinced him at the party on New Years that I wanted to apologize. Levy being the guy he is believed me. I put some stuff in his drink. I had gotten it from a friend. It puts you in a haze almost. Like a dream-like state. You want to run, but it takes you a while to actually get it together and run.”

“You drugged him?” I asked outraged.

“Shut up and listen. I thought I could make it seem like he was cheating on you and it worked. Yet, even after he didn’t have you anymore, he still didn’t want me,” she explained sadly. “I lost my chance with Levy and I ruined yours.”

“Oh my god,” I muttered, dropping into the seat near the vanity in the room I was in.

“I’ve regretted what I did for the past two years. I shouldn’t have ruined someone else’s life just because I was unhappy,” she said sitting adjacent to me in another chair. “I’m truly sorry Charlotte. I know there’s nothing I can do, but I wanted you to know the truth. I hope you have a happy, wonderful life with whomever you marry.”

She was getting up to leave, but I got up too stopping her in her tracks. Heather obviously thought I was going to hit her from the cringe on her face. “Does…does Levy know I’m getting married?”

“I don’t know. I know Oliver knows, but I’m not sure if he wanted to put his brother through the pain of knowing you were going to be with someone else. You know he hasn’t been with another girl since. He’s been living in Vermont with his mom and dad. He gave up his bakery.”

“He gave it up?” I was shocked. “But he lived and breathed The Cookie Corner.”

“He had no reason to be in New York anymore, he’d lost too much,” Heather said sadly, casting one last glance at me before leaving the room.

I was shocked and completely numb. My mind was literally spinning. A knock pulled me put of my reverie. My dad’s head peaked in, “Ready to go, peanut?”

“Yeah,” I breathed, walking out the door. My dad hooked my arm and the procession began.

My dad was staring down at me, tears in his eyes. “Peanut, I never thought you’d grow up on me so quick.”

“I’m still your little girl, Daddy,” I replied smiling up at him, my own eyes getting bleary.

“You’re mother and I love you very much, but before I hand you off to this boy I need to know…for your old man’s mind sake…that you love him with all your heart.”

I looked up to my father through my veil and couldn’t even utter the words, so I just nodded hoping it would suffice. It was our turn to walk down the aisle. We began our steady march toward the pastor and Nick. He looked happy, maybe more victorious, like he had won a prize.

My heart dropped to my stomach, not a feeling I expected. As I finally approached Nick, my dad and I stopped. He pulled back my veil and placed a tender kiss on my forehead. He placed my hand in Nick’s and then the doors burst open.

“Stop, I object!” a voice I had etched in my mind yelled at the top of his lungs. Levy, disheveled and panting, came running down the aisle toward Nick and I. He was wearing a wrinkled t-shirt and dark wash jeans, his hair looked unkempt but his eyes held determination. My father tried to hide his smug smile as he moved toward my mother. Levy came to a halt in front of me, bent over, hands on his knees.

Ollie casually walked down the aisle, muttering a ‘sorry’ here and there. “You came in at the wrong time, doofus.” Ollie amended as Levy finally stood back up. “Hey feisty.”

“Ollie,” I whispered softly, shocked I could actually speak.

“What is going on?” Nick asked harshly staring at Levy as he gazed at me.

“You can’t marry him tiger,” Levy said simply.

“Yes I can,” I said back turning away from him and toward Nick. I had made my decision and I needed to follow through with it. “I’m so sorry Nick. I don’t know what he’s doing here.”

“I love you with everything I have. And I’ve never stopped loving you. I know I’ve done wrong, what you think I’ve done wrong and I’m eternally sorry for it. I want to spend forever making it up to you. Life for me would have no meaning, if I couldn’t argue with you everyday, if I couldn’t kiss you everyday, if I couldn’t be with you everyday. I can’t live without stubborn you. Honestly, when I first met you I never thought I could fall so hard. But I’ve fallen and for the first time in my life I don’t want to get back up.” Levy professed.

The crowd around us was silent. Completely and utterly.

“I know you did nothing wrong. Heather explained everything only a few minutes ago,” I said softly, looking up to meet his slate eyes. The ones I wanted to look at forever.

“Then, what do you say?” he asked looking me in the eyes and then turning to a fuming Nick. “I’m sorry man, but if you were in my position wouldn’t you do anything to get this girl back?”

“You were unexpected, Levy Taylor. Unwanted and unneeded,” I began. Nick smiled happily. “You’re incredibly annoying and undeniably persistent and atrociously stubborn.” Nick looked smug and Levy looked defeated.

“But I’d rather argue with you, then love anyone else for all my life.”

Levy grasped my face in his large, warm hands and his wonderful lips crashed done on me. The same spark I had come to know and love, lit me up from the tip of my toes to the crown of my head.

“What? Charlie?” Nick questioned looking enraged. “Why?”

“Nick,” I whispered after pulling away from Levy. “Please understand.”

“No, I honestly knew going into this marriage that you didn’t love me. I hoped that being together, we’d be able to fall for each other and live happily ever after. But, I know now that we could never be. You’ll always have a piece of my heart, Charlie, but you’ll always belong to this guy no matter what.”

“Oh, Nick. I’m so sorry,” I soothed quietly, hugging him tightly. “One day, you’ll find a girl who will sweep you off your feet and you two will have your happily ever after.”

“Promise?” he asked childishly, smiling lightly.

“I promise.”

Levy picked me up bridal style in his arms and carried me back down the aisle. “I have perfect timing,” he said cockily.

“Nah, you’re just too annoying to disagree with.”

“Promise?”

“I most definitely promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit to Mumm-ra :)

I'm a sucker for a happy ending...next chapter will be the epilogue!!

I love all of you who have read, commented and subscribed to my story. You are the force behind my continuation of writing! :) Thank you all <3

Don't forget to leave a comment!! It means a lot :D Here's a link to Charlie's dress....and after you look at that press THIS!!