‹ Prequel: Keepsake
Status: Finished

Burning Desires

It's Not Rocket Science

Matt woke up and the first person he thought of was Jade. He messed up real bad yesterday. He should’ve told her from the beginning that he had a girlfriend, but he was so caught up in getting to know her that he totally forgot about Val. Matt turned to his side to look at Val. He always thought that he would wake up embracing his dream girl and for a while Val was his dream girl, but she was sort of claustrophobic so he couldn’t put his arms around her the entire night as he wanted to. Matt turned back to his back and looked at the ceiling.

The time ticked by, but he had to get up to go to the studio and pick the album cover for their next album. Matt threw the covers aside and that’s what woke Val up.

“Morning,” she said.

“Morning,” Matt said.

“What time you came home?” Val asked. “I fell asleep around nine.”

“Around eleven thirty,” Matt said and it was true. As soon as Jade was put asleep he couldn’t stay any longer and he left.

“What are you doing today?” Val asked as she got out of bed.

Her body didn’t drive him insane as it used to. So he wasn’t affected when she got out of bed in a tank top and short shorts.

“Picking the album cover and maybe record some random shit, and go to Brian’s or something,” Matt muttered as he took a towel and headed for the shower.

He was out of the house in less than ten minutes. He called Jade’s phone, but it kept going to voicemail. It made him wonder if she was doing anything with Brian. If she had finally fallen under the spell of Synyster Gates. He felt rage roar inside of him at the thought of his friend touching Jade.

“Goddamn it!” Matt said as he hit the steering wheel. He dialed Brian’s cell and he didn’t answer too so he called his house.

Someone picked up and there was laughter.

“Hello?” Brian answered.

“Hey,” Matt said. “What are you guys doing?”

“Not what you’re thinking… yet,” Brian said and Matt could almost hear his infamous smirk. “We’re eating breakfast, relax, Shads. It’s Matt.” The last part was for Jade.

“Why aren’t you two answering your cell phones?” Matt asked as he made a turn at the light. He was going to Brian’s place and that was close to the beach.

“Well, mine is charging in my room, Jade, where’s your phone?” Brian asked her.

“In my room,” she said. “Why?”

“Matt wants to track us down,” Brian said.

“I am not… I just… want to talk to her,” Matt said.

“Matt wants to talk to you,” Brian said.

“Is he driving?” Jade asked.

“Yeah,” Matt answered before Brian could repeat the question.

“Yeah,” Brian said.

“Then tell him to hang up unless he wants to kill people, we can talk if he comes,” Matt heard her say and he knew he was in trouble. Women tended to remember only the bad.

“Fine,” Matt said and hung up the phone.

He parked in Brian’s driveway and didn’t bother to knock he just entered the house. He heard noises from the kitchen so he followed and when he walked inside he saw Jade washing the dishes and she was alone. Her blue eyes locked on his. She turned off the water and removed the large and yellow gloves from her hands and turned her body towards his with a hand on her hip.

The very small pout on her lips were irresistible.

“Hey,” she said with furrowed eyebrows.

“You’re still mad at me?” he asked as he approached her and stopped when he was about two feet away from her.

“Kind of, it’s partially my fault for not asking in the first place,” Jade said as she crossed her arms. “I shouldn’t be mad it’s not like had a thing.”

Before Matt could tell her otherwise Brian walked in.

“Hey, man, you’re here,” Brian said. “We can go to the studio together.” He looks over to Jade. “Today we pick the album cover and a friend of ours has this sketch that we really like. Would you like to come?”

Matt looked to Jade for an answer. She shook her hair.

“I can’t miss two days of work,” Jade said. “I also have to get my other things from the apartment.”

“Then take my car,” Brian said as he took out his keys. “Just take care of her. Matt and I will carpool.”

“Are you sure you want to go there alone?” Matt asked, anxiously.

“Both of my friends are going to be there, so if Gabriel tries anything they’ll kick his ass,” Jade said with a smile on her face. She took the keys from Brian. “Thanks so much.”

“No problem,” Brian said. “Are you two done talking or do you need more time?”

Matt looked at Jade to see if she had anything else to say. She shook her head and Matt was disappointed but agreed. He followed Brian outside and they got inside of his Escalade and drove off. Matt didn’t say a word as he drove towards the studio.

“So,” Brian said breaking the silence, “what has you all worked up?”

“Nothing.” Matt muttered.

“Doesn’t look like nothing, dude, are you into Jade?”

“No… yes… it’s complicated,” Matt grumbled.

“It isn’t. Either you want to be with her or you don’t,” Brian said. “It’s not rocket science.”

“I want to be with her, but I have a girlfriend and I love Val, I do… but there’s something different about Jade.” Matt said.

“Maybe it’s because you need a little break from Val,” Brian said. “God knows I can’t stay tied down to a single woman.” He laughed.

Matt wasn’t like that. He was old fashioned. He always thought one girl was enough for him, as long as that girl was what he wanted. Now, he wanted a taste of something else. He wanted to taste Jade. So many bad thoughts ran through his head of the things he wanted to do to her. His burning desires overwhelmed him and he couldn’t believe one girl could have that effect on him.

He and Brian made it to the studio. The others were already there. Jimmy asked about Jade.

“She’s fine,” Brian answered. “Has a bit of a hangover, though.”

“I can’t believe she got wasted off that,” Johnny chuckled. “I don’t even get buzzed.”

“She’s not a drinker,” Matt said. “She told me.”

“Where is she?” Zacky asked.

“She went to get some stuff from her old place and work.” Brian said.

“You let her go alone?” Jimmy asked bewildered to Matt.

“She said it was okay because her friends were going to be there.” Matt said as he sat down on a chair.

“Cam is here,” Johnny said and their friend who designed a lot of their album stuff walked in.

“Let’s get to work, then,” Brian said.