Status: (Please note that this was the first story I wrote when I was a teenager which is why you may encounter many amateur mistakes.)

Her Flux

Pride in history.

Sadly the next day the patter of rain drops awakened Clun. By noon the grounds were absolutely flooded; that wet and muggy smell circling between the earth and the closed sky. But Nathanial wasn’t the man, or well the boy, that gave up on the first obstacle. His optimism had always amazed people and now it amazed Erica. Unlike her pessimistic thoughts that always fogged her mind, he kept talking how the day after today was going to be better and shinier. But for two full weeks that sunshine filled day never came. September might have been nice and warm, but October was vaguely showing an image from the winter ahead.

Two weeks of constant rain. Two weeks having to get up and lie down listening to the same sound. It was not as if they were not accustomed to the rain by now. They knew that these days would eventually come, but they did in a most inappropriate time. Rain meant having to stay locked inside doing the same things they did every single day: reading books, drinking hot tea near the freshly lit fire, chatting all together about recent or distant history events etc. For Erica – this had been her life. But for Nathanial, staying indoors was… hard.

He had given up his work in London because it included him staying closed up all the time. Looking around himself now he realized that his situation was pretty similar. He wished to get out. He wished to leave the closed space and breathe fresh air. He wished to finally show Erica the beauty of riding a horse and wipe that sad look that pulled down on her soft features every single time she looked outside the stained window glass.

It was not a surprise when on the first day rain had stopped and a sign of the golden sun appeared, Nathanial jumped from the chair he had been sitting on in the library and pulled on Erica’s hand hastily, leading her outside. The grounds were barely dry, but he felt he had to use this chance. He had to put a smile on her face. Little did he know that she was happy. She was happy because he was here and he was someone new.

“Why so apprehensive?” Nathanial asked from where he stood next to Erica. He held on Akil’s reins, while he sniffed and ate grass. Erica looked from her horse to the inhospitable dark clouds on the sky. Its light blue color slowly disappeared, but the sun somehow managed to penetrate through the ominous shapes of the gray clouds.

“Are you sure today is a good day for riding? I am sure we could postpone our lesson. We could read a book,” Erica offered, taking a hold of the skirt of her new cotton, empire dress as she backed away from Akil. Before she could turn around and join Cecile on the other side of the wooden fence of the ring, she felt a warm sensation grabbing on her left hand fingers. She saw Nathanial’s hand grasping onto her own, looking at her gently.

“Now, now… There is no reason for fear Erica,” he pulled her back resting her hand on Akil’s hair.

“I am not fearful Nathanial. I am just… doubtful. Believe me, horses do not mix with thunder storms, especially ours that are stall kept. I am afraid that-”

“So you are afraid,” he chuckled. “But there is no thunder today Erica,” Nathanial smiled, but Erica’s features saddened as she looked at the dark sky. Small lines, hidden beneath her bangs, formed on her forehead. Not only did embarrassment ceased to swim in her irises, but the light spark of innocence and happiness did too. Nathanial could not understand how his words affected Erica, but he did not like the way her mood changed. Suddenly, the sky grew even darker, the sound of thunder cutting the silence that slowly formed between the two of them. Surprised, Nathanial looked at Erica’s dark frame matching the heavens above. It was as if her feelings were somehow affecting nature. It was as if the sky felt what Erica felt. It was as if… ‘It is impossible and irrational,’ he thought to himself.

Akil neighed loudly backing away a little, rising his hoofs off the ground.

“Wow, wow easy there…” Nathanial said, trying to calm the horse down. Cecile circled the fence and entered the ring they were both standing in.

“Excuse me Sir Nathanial, but I do believe we should get going. We do not want to become soaked.”

Nathanial nodded. “I agree, but… I could have sworn today was going to be a nice day. I guess we cannot trust the heavens.”

“You can never trust the heavens…” Cecile replied absentmindedly. Nathanial raised an eyebrow at her, not really understanding her point.

“I suppose…” He said, watching how the sky grew even darker and the clouds fought. The vigorous sound of thunder echoed above the ground again after a series of flickering lightning. “It is best if you ladies make your way inside. I will make sure to return Akil here to his stall. ”

As if right on queue Vilemina emerged from inside the mansion, closing the large doors behind her. She sprinted towards them, her hand holding onto her white hat that threatened to be blown away from the rising wind. She was slightly panting when she reached them. Curtsying she spoke:

“Erica, your mother advises you all to come inside immediately. She does not want you to be caught up in a storm.”

“Will do Vilemina,” Cecile spoke as she linked arms with Erica. “Are you sure you do not need assistance with the horse Sir Nathanial?”

“I-”

“I shall be glad to be of assistance,” Vilemina’s quiet voice cut off Nathanial’s answer. Cecile looked at her and nodded.

“You do that. Come on Erica. We will wait for them inside.”

As soon as they closed the doors behind them, it started raining. Cecile kissed Erica’s temple, before making her way towards the kitchen. Erica sighed, taking fleet looks around the hallway that lost its brightness with every drop that hit the ground. She made her way in the sitting room from where she could hear the faint voices of her parents sharing a conversation.

She entered, smiled to Addison and Thomas who acknowledged her presence with a small nod of their heads, before continuing with their conversation. Erica took her usual seat and tired to understand the topic of their conversation.

“…it says here that if the heavens are on his side, he will travel here to visit us. He also mentions that he has news about who will host this years Winter Ball,” Thomas explained to Addison while holding a letter in his hand. Addison glanced at him from where she was standing next to the window, looking at the rain.

“Oh well, we will have to wait for him then. But I still think this is not a bright idea Thomas,” Addison shook her head. “We could have waited a little longer,” she then turned to Erica.

“Erica, where is Nathanial?”

“He is with Vilemina,” Addison raised a suspicious eyebrow at her. “T-They… She offered to help him bring Akil back to the stable,” Erica stuttered.

“Oh… Well then I guess we will tell him later then,” Addison turned her head back to look outside the window.

“Tell him what?” Erica asked looking between the both of them. Thomas smiled and folded the letter he was holding in his hands, before shoving it in the pocket of his breeches.

“His uncle sent us a letter. He wrote to us about his intention of visiting us. As you know I spoke to few of our old friends in Ludlow and told them about our wish of hosting the Winter Ball this year, just like the Providence family did many years before your birth. They were all surprised by our decision, but overjoyed none the less. The only ones that were not keen on this were the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury. ”

“Lord and Lady Everingham?” Addison asked incredulously. “Why? We have always been in good relations with them. Why on Earth would they be against us hosting again?”

“Well darling they did not say they were against us hosting again. I have learnt that they overtook that responsibility upon themselves after we left Ludlow. They did not say a word, but I could see that they doubted we could pull off such an event after all this time of social absence,” Thomas answered, witnessing the sudden change in Addison’s face. He could see anger enveloping her veins as they stuck out the side of her neck and her chest rose and settled fast. She shook her head, a look of disbelief and annoyance plastered on her face.

“Who do they think they are? Doubting the members of the Providence family,” she huffed, not caring that it was unlady like and turned around to look out of the window again. “Did Agnes and William already forget who opened the doors to high society for their family years ago? No one would even know who the Everinghams were if your great great grandfather Jacob Providence did not introduce them to our circles. My father, count Edward Harrington turned down William Everingham when he asked for my hand in marriage and do you know why? It was because he always considered the Everinghams to be a family that got where they were thanks to their money, not class or bloodline. William is just jealous of you for having me and Agnes is jealous because she never was half as beautiful as I was. I’ll be damned if I let them convince people we cannot pull something as simple as a Winter Ball off,” Addison raised her chin proudly, a sharp lightning making her enraged form even more dangerous looking.

Thomas chuckled, clasping his knees with his palms. “Are you saying that you have changed your mind about the Winter Ball?” Addison turned her head slowly to face her husband, a devious smirk creeping on her lips. She giggled, putting a hand over her mouth. “Darling I am thinking that you are doing this just to spite the Everinghams off.”

“That is preposterous Thomas. I will be doing this for the sake of our family,” she smiled. “If I can spite them off in the process…well I will consider that ‘a third penny’.”

“Anyhow,” Thomas turned his attention back to Erica, who was listening on their conversation silently trying to take in the events of the remote history her parents were speaking off. “Lord David wrote that he had news about the board’s decision and that he had something private to discuss with his nephew.”

Erica nodded. “Will I be attending the ball?”

“If it were to me, not,” Addison answered briefly. “But, your father and I talked about this and we agreed that you will be present under our watchful eyes. You are not to leave our side by any circumstances.”

“Yes mother,” She answered nonchalantly trying to hide her joy.

A small silence crept between the members of the Providence family, leaving the noise of the rain drops bashing against their mansion to fill their ears. Addison kept silently looking out of the window, before her eyes narrowed at something.

“Erica, have you ever seen Vilemina running around without her hat?” Addison asked pointing a finger outside. Erica stood up and joined her mother in front of the crescent window. She pulled the curtain to get a better look and she indeed saw Vilemina running towards the front doors, her hat dropped carelessly around her neck, exposing her golden locks which got even more soaked with every step she took towards the mansion.

“What is going on Addison?” Thomas asked, curious to what was holding their attention outside. “Oh dear,” he whispered before making his way towards the hallway, Addison and Erica following close behind. Before he could even reach the handle, Vilemina opened the door. They were all horrified from her appearance. Water was dipping from her clothes. Her hair was unleashed for the first time in years. She was panting and desperately trying to say something, but she could not even breathe from all the tears she cried.

“Calm down Vilemina, just calm down…” Thomas said as he took a hold of her hands. He pulled away immediately when he felt a hot liquid on his hands. He turned his palms only to realize they were stained in blood. He looked at Vilemina confusedly.

“Wha-What is going on here Vilemina?!” Addison shouted worriedly grabbing onto her shoulders checking her hands. “Are you all right? What has happened to you?”

Vilemina gulped loudly, trying to stop her sobbing. “Na-Nathani-al,” she choked out.

Thomas shook his head. “What is the meaning of this? Where is he? What has he done to you?”

Cecile ran into the hallway as soon as she had heard loud voices. The same reaction passed through her eyes when she saw Vilemina. She quickly moved towards her asking her the same questions. Vilemina shook her head.

“Not to me. To, to him. He is… he is… dead!” she cried out, her answer hitting everyone like a ton of rocks. Cecile wrapped her hands around the young girl trying to calm her down.

“What?!” Erica screamed.

“Where is he?!” Addison asked.

“The-the stable,” she whispered.

Without any second doubts Thomas ran out on the rain, meeting George half way. After exchanging few words they both carried on running towards the stables. Erica took few steps, trying to follow them, but a hand on her forearm stopped her.

“No Erica!” Addison shouted pulling her back. “Stay here and help Vilemina clean up.”

“But mother-”

“Cecile,” Addison turned to Cecile, pushing both Erica and Vilemina into her arms. “Take them to Vilemina’s room. Now!”

“Yes Mrs. Providence.”

“But Nathanial-” Erica tried to argue, tears filling her eyes.

“Do not disobey me young lady. Go!” Addison ordered. Reluctantly Erica followed Cecile and Vilemina, while Addison grabbed a random cloak. She threw the cloak on, pulling on the hood over her head. Grabbing the skirt of her dress she ran after her husband.

The rain worked its way through the cloaks material, soaking Addison’s layered dress. She saw the stable door wide opened and ran as fast as she could to the stable. But once she entered she saw the horror that had Vilemina bewildered. Nathanial was lying lifelessly on the ground, his head resting in a puddle of his own blood, his eyes shut. His hair was released from its neatly made ribbon, drenched in the blood that surrounded his head. Her hands flew to her mouth, a creak of horror emerging from her throat. George was trying to find something to carry him in, while Thomas put two fingers on the side of Nathanial’s neck.

He sighed and looked at his wife. “Is he…” She couldn’t even finish the question. With one head motion, Thomas gave her the answer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah just a little explanation to those who do not understand Addison's point about "the third penny". Earls collected fines and taxes from the people and in return received a "third penny", one-third of the money they collected, like an award and payment. (and if Addison spites them off with hosting the ball, to her it would be as an award for a job well done.)