Status: Complete and edited

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

06

It was Christmas Eve and almost two months since Sidney has talked to Taylor over the phone and it was slowly driving him crazy. He knew she was going to Philly either today or arrived last night and he was thinking about going down to visit her, but decided against it. He was just going to call her, but when he looked at the clock he realized that it was early and knowing Taylor she wasn’t awake yet. Oh well he had morning skate soon, so it was worth a try.

“Hello?” A groggy Taylor answered

“Hey babe, did I wake you?” He asked, picturing her waking up and sitting up in bed, running her hand through her hair. Man did he miss her, it hurt sometimes.

“No you didn’t wake me up.” She said a bit more perkier. “I was already awake because I’m in the car. I am bored though, we are stuck in traffic. Surprise, surprise.” She chuckled

“I’m sorry, so have you been?”

“Okay I guess, school was stressful. I miss you though.”

“I miss you too. I want to see you but we have a game tonight and then after that we have a party and after the party I’m going home.”

“I know, Jordan told me. If we would’ve came up yesterday and today wasn’t my mom’s birthday I’d be at your game.”

“Today’s your mom’s birthday?”

“Yep, she’s forty-one.” Sidney could hear her mom in the background. “Sorry, she’s twenty-two.” She laughed. “Mom, you realize that means you have to give birth to me again.” Again he could hear her mom and then Taylor laughed. He missed hearing her laugh, he just missed her.

“Tell her I said Happy Birthday and that she doesn’t look a day over twenty-one.”

“Suck up,” she chuckled and passes along the message. “She says thank you.”

“Do you know when we’ll be able to see each other again?” He asked

She sighed and he knew how she felt. “No, I hope it’s soon though. I’m getting tired of seeing your face on the television.”

“Wow, that hurts.” He laughed

“Oh you know I was kidding. I love seeing your face. I just wish it was in person.”

“Me too,” he sighed and looked at the clock, he had morning skate to go to. “Taylor, I have to go.”

“Okay, have fun at your morning skate. Say hi to everyone for me.”

“I will.”

“Thanks and oh, I’ll be watching.”

“Awesome!”

Sidney hung up his phone with a smile on his face. Those were the reasons why he loved Taylor. She was understanding, she didn’t get upset that they could only talk for a little while. She understood that he had a job and she got along with his friends. How many boyfriends would kill for that from the girlfriends?

All throughout the skate, Sidney couldn’t keep the smile off his face. After two months they finally got a chance to talk. Sure it was only for like five minutes, but he still got to talk to her. He had a feeling that tonight was going to be a good night for him

****
We finally made it to Grandma and Grandpa’s and all I did was sleep and I was exhausted. We had the anual Christmas Eve party at my aunt and uncle’s house later that night. We ate dinner with my grandparents and then passed out presents for mom.

I sent Sidney his pre-game ‘good luck’ text and started getting ready for the party. Usually I would be starting a lot earlier, but now that I know most of the people there and I can’t flirt with the guys there I have some time to cut off. Now, I still make sure I look nice, but just not as nice. I was wearing my dark skinny jeans, my black heeled boots, a red blouse, and to top it off bracelet that I got for my birthday and Sidney’s necklace.

After I was dressed I looked at the clock and noticed that the game had started and I promised Sidney that I would watch it. I also haven’t missed a single game this season and I wasn’t going to stop now. Grandpa had the game on in the living room and I sat and watched it with him. Five minutes into the first period Sidney scored the first goal and I jumped up and screamed. Grandpa laughed from his chair and dad stuck his head out of the bathroom.

“Who scored?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes and answered him. “Sidney.” I smiled as they showed the replay. Five minutes later Boston score to tie the game. The rest of the period went pretty uneventful. When I saw that there was only thirty seconds left in the period, I leaned over to grandpa.

“How much do you want to bet that there will be a fight at the end of the period?” I asked

“A lottery ticket?” He suggested sticking out his hand

“You’re on.” We both turned to the screen as the final seconds ticked away. There was the horn, they were showing Sidney, and BINGO there are the whistles. Sure enough there was Talbot pounding away on a guy. I chuckled as I saw the fight being broken up and Max still screaming at the guy. “Uh, I think you owe me a lottery ticket.”

“Taylor, it’s time to go.” My mom said. “Bye Pa, I’m not sure when we’ll be back. Hopefully not late.”

“All right, have fun guys. Tay, do you want a scratch off or a Mega Million?” Grandpa asked

“Mega Million, but I would like to pick my numbers.”

“All right.”

On the way over to the party I sent Max a text thanking him for getting in a fight.

Why the hell are you thanking me?

I won a bet with my grandpa. I bet him a lottery ticket that there was going to be a fight at the end of the period.

Glad I could help. Sid says Merry X-Mas and he loves you.

Tell him the same thing and tell him I’m sorry too.

Why are you sorry-Sid

I left during intermission, first game of the season I’m missing =(

Don’t sweat it-Sid

Go play. I’ll talk to ya tomorrow.

Bye

I remembered that I had a source at the game, Vero. I quickly called her and talked to her for a bit. She promised me that she would keep me updated and before I hung up, she told me how excited she was that I was coming up to Pittsburgh soon.

“How did you find this out? The only person that knew that I was coming there was Kris, Jordan, and Geno.”

“Kris told Marc because Marc saw Kris getting another ticket for the dinner.” She stated

“As long as Sidney doesn’t find out I’m fine. Have you heard what I’m doing for Christmas?”

“No, what are you doing?”

“Going up to Cole Harbour.”

“What?! When?”

“Tomorrow, his parents are flying me up.” I smiled

“That’s wonderful, we’ll have to try and get together. If we don’t, I’ll see you on New Year’s.” I heard the crowd get louder, which meant that the second was starting soon.

“I’ll let you go, don’t forget to keep me posted.”

“I won’t. Talk to you soon Tay,”

“Thanks V.”

All throughout the night Vero was sending me plays and updates. We also talked between updates as well. Sidney scored again in the second and of course I made some noise and it got some people’s attention. One guy that I’ve seen before but never really talked to, came over and sat next to me.

“What’s got you all excited?” He asked, taking a sip of his beer.

“Oh, my hockey team is winning.” I smiled, too happy to care that he was trying to flirt with me.

“And that would be?”

“The Penguins.”

“Oh, I’m a Flyer fan myself. Let me guess, Crosbitch is your favorite.”

My hands balled into fists, I wanted to clock him. Yes, his ‘nickname’ for Sidney has always bothered me, but now that we are dating it bothered me even more.

“Um actually yes, Crosby,” I stressed his name, “is my favorite, but Staalsy is a close second and Geno too.”

“I’m guessing Staalsy, is Jordan Staal.” He sneered

Oh he’s a quick one. I rolled my eyes and nodded, looking around the room for some way out of this conversation. I was thinking about texting Vero for help, but I would have to shift towards this guy to get my phone out of my pocket and I didn’t want to do that. Plus he was already getting closer to me with every passing minute. How come my uncles decide not to be overprotective now, when I need them to be?

“So are you single?” he asked, his lips close to my ear.

A shiver passed through my body, but it wasn’t like the shivers that Sidney sent down my body. “Um, no I’m not.” I gulped. I did not like this. His arm found its way around my shoulders and was pulling me into him.

“No you’re not?” He questioned me like I was lying. “Then where’s your boyfriend?” He looked around the room.

"In Pittsburgh"

“That’s a bit of a drive.” His lips were near my ear again. “He won’t have to know about this.” He moved in like he was going to kiss me. I was getting ready to shove him away when Bri came to my rescue.

“Taylor! We’re doing Polly Annas now.” Bri said coming up to the couch. She looked between me and this guy and looked back at me. I knew she could see the look of horror on my face, because I could feel it. “Come on.” She grabbed my arm and dragged me in the direction of her room. “What was that?” She whispered as we walked into her room where all the cousins and Mandy were.

“I have no idea. I was just sitting there texting Vero and Sid scored. I got a little excited and caught that guy’s attention, he came over and started flirting with me.” I shuttered slightly. “He started calling Sidney names and that’s where it all went down hill.” I sat on Bri’s couch and sighed.”Can we please just drop it? It was an awkward moment and I really don’t want to worry about it anymore.” They all nodded and proceeded to pass out the gifts. I saw the look that Mandy gave me, she knew that I was shaken up a bit.

Once we handed out our presents, I went to find my parents because I didn’t want to come into contact with that random guy. I was talking to my aunt’s brother when I felt my pocket vibrate.

Pens won 1-3. Sidney scored twice and had an assist, Jordan scored the third. Stars are 1)Sidney 2)Jordan 3)Marc =)

Yay! Thank you V, hey call me please. I need to talk to you

Five minutes later my phone rang and I walked outside to get away from all the noise.

“Hey, what’s up hun?” she asked.

I knew I could tell Vero about this because she and I have become close friends and I looked at her as my older sister. “I had a really awkward moment earlier and I’m kinda upset right now.” I mumbled.

“What happened?”

“I was just sitting on the couch at my aunt and uncle’s place, waiting to see if you’d text me. When I got the text about Sid’s second goal, I got a little excited and caught some guy’s attention.”

“Taylor, what happened?” She asked a bit alarmed.

“Nothing, but it just kinda freaked me out. He came over to where I was sitting and began flirting with me. He was drunk so I didn’t really pay him much attention, but I did talk to him. After a while he started calling Sidney names and normally I would just brush them off because everybody can have their own opinions, but this time it really pissed me off. I do have to say though that I managed not to punch him in the face or bitch him out.” Vero chuckled. “So anyway, he started asking questions he asked me if I had a boyfriend. When I told him that I did and that he wasn’t at the party because he was in Pittsburgh, he tried to kiss me.”

Vero gasped. “You didn’t kiss him did you?”

“Hell no, I did not kiss him, I was scared though. I just don’t know what to do right now because I’m a little afraid to go back in there because he’s been drinking more. I also don’t want to leave early because we just got here.” I sighed.

“Just stay where you are right now.”

“Outside?” I asked raising an eyebrow even though she couldn’t see it. She laughed because she knew my tone. “Plus, my family is all inside and they will eventually look for me.” I looked back at the house. “When are you guys leaving?”

“After the party, we’re catching a ride with Sidney.”

“Okay, well I guess I’ll let you go then. I’ll talk to you during the week hopefully.”

“Alright and call me if anything else happens.”

“I will, thanks Vero.”

“No problem.”

*****
Sidney was walking out of the locker room and he heard Vero talking on her phone.

“Alright and call me if anything else happens.” She said

He wanted to know who she was talking to. Most of the girlfriends were here and it wasn’t someone from home because she was speaking English.

“Hey, V.” He called, walking over to her

“Hey, Sid. Great game tonight.” She smiled, giving him a hug. “Where’s Marc-Andre?”

“Last thing I saw he was still getting dressed.”

“You beat him out here?” she laughed

“Yeah some how.” he chuckled.

Sidney and Vero stood in a comfortable silence as they watched the other members of the team file out of the locker room and meet up with their girlfriends or wives. Sidney sighed, he wished Taylor was here with him to hang out with. It was Christmas for crying out loud. He didn’t even send her present because he hadn’t had time. Vero sensed his thoughts and hugged him again.

“You’ll see her soon I’m sure.” She whispered. “So are you excited to go home?”

“Yes and no.” He sighed and sat on the couch. “I really want to go up, but I want to see Taylor a bit more.” He paused and then snapped his fingers. “Maybe I’ll surprise her in Philly instead of going up.”

“No!” Vero shouted a bit loudly. “I mean your parents would be so upset.” She said a bit more normal.

Sidney raised his eyebrows at her, but she just shook her head and looked towards the locker room door, waiting for Fleury.

“So who were you on the phone with?” Sidney asked

“Taylor.”

“What’s going on? I heard you say for her to call you if anything else happens.” Sidney was suddenly worried

“Nothing really, just some drunk guy flirting with her at the party.”

“What?”

“Sidney relax, she can handle herself. She called me because she was a little upset because he tried to kiss her.” She quickly covered her mouth because he knew she wasn’t supposed to say anything. Sidney didn’t get upset because he trusted Taylor, but he was upset because someone was messing with his girl and he wasn’t there to help her.

“Thanks Vero, I think I’m going to call her and see if she’s okay.” Vero nodded and walked over to Marc. Sidney told everyone he’d see them at the party and walked out to his car. He signed a few autographs and posed for pictures. When he finished, he climbed into his car and dialed Taylor’s number.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited