Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 5: New Friends and Heartbreak

*Logan’s POV*
I smiled at her as we drove through town; she was acting so shy as we carried on our conversation. But I still found out a bit about her; like she had only recently turned 19 and that she loves music and the beach. I took note that she also loved sunsets, the moon, and stars. However, I still did not know why she had come down here so early, when she didn’t need to be here until the middle of August. But, I wasn’t going to ask her that; she still hadn’t completely opened up to me and I knew that would take longer than just a few hours so I am just going to have to deal with what I’ve got for now. Soon, we arrived at the supermarket and we got the few things that Melissa asked us to get.

Meanwhile, back at the house…

*Mel’s POV*
“So Mel, why did Addy really come two months early?” Bells asked as I chop some more veggies into the salad. I sighed. “It’s not my place to tell.” I reply. “Oh come on, you know we aren’t gonna say anything to her.” She countered. I sighed. “Fine, but one word to her and you’re dead! And you can’t tell the boys either, only Zach knows. Promise me you’ll say nothing!” I say to Cassie, Bells, and Stephanie, who had walked in five minutes after Logan and Addy left. They all nodded and I told them how Addy had walked in on her boyfriend, Eric making out with her best friend Kayla. Both had lied to her, saying that it was an accident and meant nothing but Addy knew that they had been doing this for a while, she could tell by how they stumbled on their words and how they showed no remorse. Addy had walked out on them, ending her relationship with her boyfriend and best friend within five minutes of each other. “So she called me and asked if she could come 2 months early and here she is.” I finished. The girls had looks of guilt on their faces. “Poor Addy.” Bella said. “How could her best friend do that to her?” Steph asked me, seeming a bit angry. I shrugged. “I don’t know. But I do know that I never liked that Eric guy and I wasn’t too fond of Kayla either. Addy was too sweet to be hanging around people like them, too vulnerable. I wish I could’ve been there to keep her from getting hurt.” I replied. “Mel, it isn’t your fault. You’re there for her now and that is all that matters!” Cassie said, hugging me. “You’re right.” I reply as I hear a car door close. “They’re back. Remember, not a word!!” I said. “You let her go with Logan?” they whispered. I nodded. “I have a feeling they are going to be good friends.” I replied, just as Logan and Addy reappeared in the room.

*Addy’s POV*
Logan and I pulled into to the driveway and we got out of the car. I went to grab one of the bags in back but he shook his head. “I got the bags Addy; you can go get the door.” He said sweetly. I smiled, for one of the first times in days. I also felt a blush creeping to my cheeks as he smiled back, but I immediately came back down to Earth and got the front door for him. We walked into the house, entering the kitchen with the bags and I noticed that there was another girl in the room. She had straightened black hair and pretty brown eyes hidden behind black rimmed glasses. “Hey guys, how was shopping?” Mel asked. “It was good; we got to know each other a bit better.” Logan replied. “Hey LJ!” the new girl said as she hugged him quickly. “Hey Stephie.” He answered, hugging her back. “Oh Addy, this is Stephanie, another one of the bridesmaids. Steph, this is my cousin Addison.” Mel said to us. Stephanie came over and hugged me. “It’s nice to meet you.” I said shyly. She smiled. “It’s nice to meet you too. We’re gonna be great friends.” She replied. I smiled and we started talking while Logan went outside with the Zach, Greg, and Ryan.

“Hey Steph, is Josh coming?” Cassie asked. I gave a questioning look. “Who’s Josh?” I asked. Melissa, Cassie, and Isabel smiled at Stephanie, who blushed a deep scarlet. “Our other friend and Steph’s crush.” Bella answered with a laugh. “I do not love him! We are just friends!” Stephanie argued. The others laughed. “Steph, admit it. You are head over heels in love with your best friend.” Cassie retorted. Steph sighed and sat on the stool she was standing next to. “It’s not like he feels the same way.” She mumbles in response. “Well, how do you know he doesn’t?” I asked her. She looked up. “That’s her problem Addy; she’s too blind to see that he adores her.” Bella replies. “WELL, why don’t you just tell him how you feel?” I ask. She sighs. “If it were only that simple.” She replied just as we heard the door open. “Melissa? Zach?” I heard an unfamiliar voice call. “In the kitchen Josh!” Cassie shouted back. A few seconds later, a good looking young man with dark brown eyes and hair walked in the room, followed by a tall blonde. He came in and said hello to everyone with hugs, and I noticed he held Steph much longer than he held anyone else.

“You must be Melissa’s cousin. I’m Josh.” He said, hugging me. “I’m Addy; it’s nice to meet you.” I replied with a smile. The blonde stood there, with a look of jealousy in her green eyes. She cleared her throat and Josh turned to her and intertwined their fingers when he walked back to her. “Josh, who’s this?” Steph asked unsteadily, looking at the girl. “Oh, guys this is Rebecca Hurst, my girlfriend.” He replied, kissing the side of her head. Mel, Cassie, Bella, and I immediately looked over at Stephanie and saw the heartbroken look written all over her face.