Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 8: Panic, ERs, and Tears

*Josh’s POV*

The girls left shortly after Stephanie ran out of the house, and I just sat in the living room with Logan, who had appeared right after she left. “What happened?” he asked me. I frowned and looked at my feet. “We got into a fight.” I replied. “Who, you and Rebecca?” he questioned. I shook my head no. “Me and Steph.” I answered. Logan’s eyes widened. “She yelled at Rebecca over the phone and said some mean things to her. So I came here and asked her why she did it, but she lied and said she didn’t. So we yelled and then she just left.” I explained. Logan shook his head. “You believed Rebecca, a girl you’ve only been dating a week, over your best friend, who you have known practically your whole life? Man, you messed up big time.” He said. I sighed. “I know.” I replied just as Zach, Ryan, and Greg entered the room and we just started watching the baseball game on TV. But I couldn’t get Stephanie’s words out of my head.

*Addy’s POV*

We were now at the dress shop, where I was getting my bridesmaids dress fitted. Melissa had tried calling Stephanie a bunch of times with no answer and we were all becoming worried. “The dress looks beautiful on you Addy!” Cassie said as Melissa stepped away to answer a phone call. “You think so? Do you think Logan will like it?” I ask shyly, wait did I just say that? I looked at Isabel and Cassie who were smirking. “Why so keen to impress LJ?” they tease, making me blush. They laugh and Melissa came back into the room, tears coming down her face. “Mel, what’s wrong?” we asked. She opened her mouth and no words came out. I stepped off the dress platform and walked in front of her. “Melissa Denise Drake. What’s wrong?” I asked her, the seriousness dripping off my tongue. “It’s Stephanie; she was in a car accident; we need to get to the hospital now.” She finally said. The girls and I gasped. “I’m gonna call Zach and the guys; Addy, hurry out of that dress and I’ll pay. We need to get there now.” My cousin said. I did as I was told and soon we were on our way to the hospital.

*Logan’s POV*

I was sitting in the living room watching the Yankee game with the guys when Zach’s phone rang. He left the room quickly, so I figured it had to be Melissa. “WHAT!?” we heard Zach shout, causing us all to jump. We looked at each other and waited for him to come back into the room. “We need to get to the hospital NOW!” Zach said coming back into the living room. I immediately panicked, thinking something happened to Addy. “Zach, what happened?” we all asked, obviously concerned. “There was an accident.” He said, making my heart stopped and only one person came to my mind. Addy. “Dude, LJ come on!” Ryan said. “We need to go to the hospital, now let’s go!” my brother warned. I immediately stood up, along with Greg, Ryan, and Josh as we ran out the door and to the car. As we drove to the hospital I prayed that Addy was okay, that nothing had happened to her.

The minute we got to the ER, Greg, Ryan, Josh, and I ran inside. “Cassie!” Greg shouted as he spotted his girlfriend, standing beside Isabel who was being engulfed in a hug by Ryan. My eyes scanned the rest of the room for the only girl who really mattered to me, my heart beating faster every time I didn’t see her. “Addy?” I called as I spotted her beside Mel, who was talking to Zach. I jogged to her side and brought her into my arms. “Thank God you’re okay.” I said as she buried her head in my chest and I stroked her long dirty blonde hair. I kissed the top of her head as her body shook against mine, signaling that she was crying. She pulled away and looked up at me. “Stephanie…” she whispered. I felt a pang in the chest and looked over at Josh who had hurt written all over his face before pulling Addy back into me and crying with her.

*Josh’s POV*

I watched as the guys ran into the ER, Greg and Ryan immediately finding their girlfriends and taking them into their arms. I watched as Logan searched the room for Addy. That boy was hopelessly in love with her and her with him. I saw the panic in his eyes as he couldn’t find her. But when he finally saw her, relief washed over his face and he ran to her. After they embraced, I turned and searched the room for her and when I didn’t see her, I realized what had happened. It was Stephanie. “Anyone here for Stephanie Grace DiMorca?” I heard the doctor call. We all stood and I stepped forward. “How is she doctor?” Melissa asked. He sighed and I looked at him. “Ms. DiMorca is lucky to be alive, the driver that hit her car just kept going after the accident occurred. However, I am afraid that during our efforts to save her, she has lost a large amount of blood and has slipped into a coma. Her chances of coming out of it are 50-50.” He replied. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. “Can we see her?” I heard LJ ask as he comforted Addy, who was sobbing into his chest. The doctor nodded. “At most two at a time. Someone will need to stay with her overnight.” He said. I shot my head up. “I will.” I volunteered. The girls looked at me and gave me looks of disapproval through their tears and I looked down in shame. Even though I said those things to Stephanie, I never meant them. She’s still my best friend, still my StephieGee, my Stephie Baby. “Okay, I’ll leave you to see her then. She’s in room 258.” The doctor said before leaving the room. “Zach and I will go first…” Melissa said as they walked out of the room.

As soon as they were gone, everyone sat down and I sat alone. “Josh?” I heard Isabel and Cassie say. I look up, only to feel a sharp stinging on both sides of my face. Yeah, I deserved that.